Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
  1.    #121  
    Looks like santions will be coming down the line:

U.N.: Iran Ignoring Nuke Ultimatum
    Report Says Iran Continuing Uranium Enrichment In Defiance Of Security Council

(CBS/AP) Iran has expanded its uranium enrichment program instead of complying with a U.N. Security Council ultimatum to freeze it, the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency said Thursday in a finding that clears the way for harsher sanctions against Tehran.

"Iran has not suspended its enrichment-related activities," said the International Atomic Energy Agency, basing its information on material available to it as of Saturday.

The conclusion — while widely expected — was important because it could serve as the trigger for the council to start deliberating on new sanctions meant to punish Tehran for its nuclear intransigence.

----------------

The six-page report obtained by The Associated Press also said that agency experts remain "unable ... to make further progress in its efforts to verify fully the past development of Iran's nuclear program" due to lack of Iranian cooperation.

That, too, put it in violation of the Security Council, which on Dec. 23 told Tehran to "provide such access and cooperation as the agency requests to be able to verify ... all outstanding issues" within 60 days.

The report — sent both to the Security Council and the agency's 35 board member nations — set the stage for a fresh showdown between Iran and Western powers.

FULL STORY: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/...n2503622.shtml
    Gosh. Bet they're scared. Bet they didn't even see it coming.
  3.    #123  
    It seems more like they want it to come.
  4.    #124  
    I bet this headline got some Iran gov officials attention:

Report: Israel Asks U.S. for Iraqi Airspace Corridor for Iran Strike

LONDON — Israel opened negotiations to fly through U.S. controlled airspace in Iraq to carry out strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities, a British newspaper reported Saturday. Israel's deputy defense minister denied the claim.

The Daily Telegraph newspaper quoted an unnamed Israeli defense official as saying the talks were aimed at planning for all scenarios, including any future decision to target Iran's nuclear program.

Israeli bombers would need a corridor through U.S.-administered airspace in Iraq to carry out any strikes, the official was quoted as saying by the newspaper.

Ephraim Sneh, Israel's Deputy Defense Minister, told The Associated Press on Saturday that the report was incorrect. "This is baseless information," Sneh said. "Maybe people like to divert (attention from) the need for immediate economic sanctions (with) stories about imminent Israeli action, which is not on the agenda."

The international community's focus should be on imposing economic sanctions on Iran for defying U.N. Security Council resolutions, he said.

Senior officials of the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council — Britain, the U.S., France, China and Russia — and Germany are meeting Monday for an emergency summit in London to discuss measures against Tehran.

SOURCE
  5.    #125  
    I asked a friend of mine about this. She was raised in Iran and moved to the US when she was 20 something. She said that in Iran you can be arrested if perceived as a political threat. And that if viewed as a political threat it is very easy for them to jump to a charge of treason. To emphasize the point of how easy it is get arrested in Iran by the gov she said that over 300 women were arrested this last week in Iran simply because their hair was showing under their head coverings or their coats were not long enough to hang below their hips. She stressed this is nothing but her personally guess, but that Hossein Mousavian was probably arrested either because he had knowledge damaging to Pres Ahmadinejad's claim that their nuclear program was something more than just for nuclear power or that he had knowledge of additional facilities not being claimed to be in in existence, etc....

Iran’s former nuclear negotiator arrested
    Official is former envoy to Germany and close ally of former president

TEHRAN, Iran - A former Iranian nuclear negotiator was arrested on an unspecified security charge, the state news agency reported Wednesday, as the country’s hard-line president said Iran would not retreat “even an iota” from its pursuit of nuclear technology.

Citing an “unofficial informed source,” IRNA said that Hossein Mousavian was arrested in Tehran on Monday. He was a member of the Iranian nuclear negotiator team until 2005, and also served as Iran’s ambassador to Germany in late 1990s and early 2000s.

Mousavian was also known as a close ally of former influential President Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani, defeated by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in the 2005 elections. Ahmadinejad replaced the complete Iranian negotiating team, including Mousavian, when he assumed power two years ago.

There was no official word on what the specific charge against Mousavian entailed. Usually, such charges in Iran range from violating national interests, state security interests, to treason, and carry up to life imprisonment. The cases are heard before Iran’s Revolutionary Courts.

Meanwhile, Ahmadinejad said the Iranian nation would resist attempts to curtail its rights in developing nuclear technology for peaceful, electricity-generating purposes, and would “cut off hands of invaders” if it were attacked.

---------------

Earlier in April, Ahmadinejad said additional U.N. sanctions would only prompt Iran to step up its nuclear development.

The U.N.’s latest sanctions ban Iranian arms exports and have frozen the assets of 28 individuals and companies involved in Iran’s nuclear or ballistic missile programs. Iran has rejected the sanctions and announced a partial suspension of cooperation with the IAEA.

Iran also in April said it had begun operating 3,000 centrifuges at its Natanz facility — nearly 10 times the previously known number.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18436192
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal View Post
    She stressed this is nothing but her personally guess ...
    This says it all. This is non-news.
  7.    #127  
    Uhm....it is news that could be serious in this situation and at the very least it is worthy to be aware of and to watch the progression of. The quote you used is only a personal perspective, as stated, of a single person from Iran about the actual and very valid news point of interest.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Uhm....it is news that could be serious in this situation and at the very least it is worthy to be aware of and to watch the progression of. The quote you used is only a personal perspective, as stated, of a single person from Iran about the actual and very valid news point of interest.
    And her credentials for such qualified speculation? This area of your post is equally important in that you frame your news with it.
  9.    #129  
    Since credentials seems to be a multithread theme lately to post on any topic, how about the credentials of MSNBC and the Associated Press:

Iran arrests 300 ‘insufficiently veiled’ women
    Ahmadinejad cracks down after dress code was loosened over the years

TEHRAN, Iran - With the arrival of spring, Iranian police have launched a crackdown against women accused of not covering up enough, arresting nearly 300 women, some for wearing too tight an overcoat or letting too much hair peek out from under their veil, authorities said Monday.

Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18277927/
    CREDENTIALS:
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4507661/
    http://www.ap.org/pages/about/about.html
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    You're kidding, right? Comparing the apparently unqualified opinion of someone you know regarding Iran's nuclear development and/or capabilities ...

V S
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Iran arrests 300 ‘insufficiently veiled’ women
    Their culture. By promoting such a lack of respect or understanding that they have every right to their own culture, you provide potential enemies the right to disdain the US just for being a differing culture. Besides, what's your problem with it since you're not part of their society?
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Report: Israel Asks U.S. for Iraqi Airspace Corridor for Iran Strike
    What? The US-anointed Iraqi Shiite Muppets who 'govern' <wink-wink> Iraq were not the party asked? I'm in shock-n-awe!
  12.    #132  
    House nixes proposal to bar Iran attack

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House rejected two measures Wednesday that would have required President Bush to seek congressional approval before attacking Iran.
    The proposals were offered as amendments to a $646 billion defense policy bill for the 2008 budget year, which starts Oct. 1.

The first proposal, by Rep. Robert Andrews, D-N.J., would have prohibited money in the bill from being used to strike Iran without Congress' blessing; it fell by a 216-202 vote. A similar, but more sweeping measure offered by Rep. Peter DeFazio, D-Ore., was rejected by a 288-136 vote.

The votes were primarily symbolic; Bush has not said he is planning to invade Iran. But because of missteps made in assessing pre-war intelligence on Iraq, many Democrats said the legislation was necessary.

"If it were any president I don't think we'd have to worry about this," said Rep. Patrick Kennedy, D-R.I.

A similar proposal on Iran initially was included in this year's war spending bill drafted by the House. But Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., agreed to remove the requirement after several Democrats said they were worried about Tehran's nuclear ambitions.

Those concerns were expressed again Wednesday by both Republicans and some Democrats who said the proposals would unnecessarily tie the president's hands and leave Israel and the United States vulnerable.

"No one wants another war," said Rep. Shelly Berkley, D-Nev. "But if we don't take a tough stance on Iran and maintain the threat of military action, Iran will get the message that we don't care if it gets nuclear weapons."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...n_N.htm?csp=15
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backbeat View Post
    What? The US-anointed Iraqi Shiite Muppets who 'govern' <wink-wink> Iraq were not the party asked?
    Shoulda known this wouldn't be responsibly addressed.
  14.    #134  
    Uhm... ...I honestly didn't think you were serious as the article explained this pretty clearly starting in the first sentence:

to fly through U.S. controlled airspace in Iraq

-----------

would need a corridor through U.S.-administered airspace in Iraq
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/17/2007 at 01:29 PM.
    What? The US-anointed Iraqi Shiite Muppets who 'govern' <wink-wink> Iraq were not the party asked? I'm in shock-n-awe!
    i'll try and respond (since you wanted one in your latter post)- I could and probably am wrong- but Isn't Iraq "qovernment" still under USA jurdsitcation(sp?)- and havent 100% handed over to Iraqians yet because they are unprepared? That could explain why they asked?

Be gentle with your corrections to my response since I don't know much politics that is going on over there.
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aslmentor View Post
    i'll try and respond (since you wanted one in your latter post)- I could and probably am wrong- but Isn't Iraq "qovernment" still under USA jurdsitcation(sp?)- and havent 100% handed over to Iraqians yet because they are unprepared? That could explain why they asked?
    Sad by any standard when after 4+ years of war, the Iraqians[sic] have no genuine authority over their own.
    Sad by any standard when after 4+ years of war, the Iraqians[sic] have no genuine authority over their own.
    I agree- however they drafted a shakey constitution after a year. Didn't it take us much longer than a year? (grin)-

They managed to at least set up "something" out of this chaos- so when USA leaves, it will be really interesting(and sad) to see what happens to the shakey constitution they drafted.
    Lance
    http://www.aslmentor.com
    (my avatar means "I love you" in sign language.
    --------------------------
    PalmIII->Sidekick I-->Sidekick II -->Sidekick III and now Treo 750 which blows them all away.
  18.    #138  
    I guess this could potentially qualify for the Manipulator part of the name of the thread.....

Iran's secret plan for summer offensive to force US out of Iraq
    Tuesday May 22, 2007

Iran is secretly forging ties with al-Qaida elements and Sunni Arab militias in Iraq in preparation for a summer showdown with coalition forces intended to tip a wavering US Congress into voting for full military withdrawal, US officials say.

"Iran is fighting a proxy war in Iraq and it's a very dangerous course for them to be following. They are already committing daily acts of war against US and British forces," a senior US official in Baghdad warned. "They [Iran] are behind a lot of high-profile attacks meant to undermine US will and British will, such as the rocket attacks on Basra palace and the Green Zone [in Baghdad]. The attacks are directed by the Revolutionary Guard who are connected right to the top [of the Iranian government]."

The official said US commanders were bracing for a nationwide, Iranian-orchestrated summer offensive, linking al-Qaida and Sunni insurgents to Tehran's Shia militia allies, that Iran hoped would trigger a political mutiny in Washington and a US retreat. "We expect that al-Qaida and Iran will both attempt to increase the propaganda and increase the violence prior to Petraeus's report in September [when the US commander General David Petraeus will report to Congress on President George Bush's controversial, six-month security "surge" of 30,000 troop reinforcements]," the official said.

---------------------

US officials now say they have firm evidence that Tehran has switched tack as it senses a chance of victory in Iraq. In a parallel development, they say they also have proof that Iran has reversed its previous policy in Afghanistan and is now supporting and supplying the Taliban's campaign against US, British and other Nato forces.

Tehran's strategy to discredit the US surge and foment a decisive congressional revolt against Mr Bush is national in scope and not confined to the Shia south, its traditional sphere of influence, the senior official in Baghdad said. It included stepped-up coordination with Shia militias such as Moqtada al-Sadr's Jaish al-Mahdi as well as Syrian-backed Sunni Arab groups and al-Qaida in Mesopotamia, he added. Iran was also expanding contacts across the board with paramilitary forces and political groups, including Kurdish parties such as the PUK, a US ally.

---------------------

"Iran is perpetuating the cycle of sectarian violence through support for extra-judicial killing and murder cells. They bring Iraqi militia members and insurgent groups into Iran for training and then help infiltrate them back into the country. We have plenty of evidence from a variety of sources. There's no argument about that. That's just a fact," the senior official in Baghdad said.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/frontpage/...085195,00.html
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I guess this could potentially qualify for the Manipulator part of the name of the thread.....
    Well, it's certainly manipulative to show such bias in your selective editing of the article.

"Washington analysts and commentators predict that Gen Petraeus's report to the White House and Congress in early September will be a pivotal moment in the history of the four-and-a-half-year war - and a decision to begin a troop drawdown or continue with the surge policy will hinge on the outcome. Most Democrats and many Republicans in Congress believe Iraq is in the grip of a civil war and that there is little that a continuing military presence can achieve. "Political will has already failed. It's over," a former Bush administration official said.

A senior adviser to Gen Petraeus reported this month that the surge had reduced violence, especially sectarian killings, in the Baghdad area and Sunni-dominated Anbar province. But the adviser admitted that much of the trouble had merely moved elsewhere, "resulting in spikes of activity in Diyala [to the north] and some areas to the south of the capital". "Overall violence is at about the same level [as when the surge began in February]."
  20.    #140  
    Baseless claim......I was not manipulative. Why do you think I put all those dashes in the article? To show that they are selected quotes. I quoted on the topic of this thread and the topic of the article. I cannot quote the article in it's entirety, which is why you were able to read the whole thing becaused I do source my references every opportunity I can. If I was being manipulative I would have posted a quoted article without showing it was only selected sections of the article and would not have cited the source for everyone to read the entire article.

What you quoted did not deal directly with the topic of this thread (Iran) or deal directly with the main topic of the article (Iran possibly behind a lot of the Iraq Insurgency). The article was focused on Iran being manipulative with the insurgency in Iraq.........not the political opinions in WA. You quoted the will of Washington degrading towards Iraq....which the article stated would be one of the goals of Iran manipulating events in Iraq. So I guess on second thought, thank you for further quoting where the article is stating that Iran maybe reaching many of it's goals.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/24/2007 at 01:24 PM.
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast