Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Man - can I kill a thread, or what....
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  2.    #62  
    Yet again....

Iran Threatens to Withdraw From Nuclear Treaty

TEHRAN, Iran — Iran's hard-line parliament threatened Sunday to pass legislation that would force the government to withdraw from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty — a move that would put Tehran in company with North Korea — as the United States and its allies pressed for a U.N. Security Council vote to outlaw Iran's uranium enrichment program.

FULL STORY: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,194574,00.html
  3.    #63  
    Since the last post Iran has agreed to start negotiations again, stated it will not move on any point, then offered another deal to get a nuke reactor for peaceful use, denies the offer saying it is an insult to offer us what we are claiming we are trying to do.

Iran is now also trying to get Venezuela Pres to illegally sell him a fleet of American F-16s .

They are just plain and simply playing for time....string it along as long as possible.

I found this timeline interesting. There is a historical timeline previous to the projected dates I quoted below:

7 November 2006
    The US Congressional elections of 2006 will be held on Tuesday, November 7, 2006. It is unclear how the United States election cycle would influence the timing of strikes against Iran. If the White House is risk averse, it would be unlikely to launch strikes in the run-up to the 2006 election [or the 2008 election]. However, as soon as the election concludes, risk averse domestic political inhibitions about the uncertain consequences of striking Iran might be greatly diminished. Alternately, it might be conjectured that the White House might judge that military strikes would rally the country around the President and his party. This would argue for timing the strikes as little as a week before the election, a pre-planned October Surprise.

Some analysts predict that Iran could acquire a nuclear weapon as early as 2006. As of mid-2003 the CIA reportedly assessed that Iran was two or three years away from developing nuclear weapons. IAEA head Mohamed ElBaradei told Der Spiegel 21 February 2005 that if Iran was determined to have nuclear weapons - as the US believes it is - it was “likely to have a bomb in two or three years”. These estimates would seem rather pessimistic. A more realistic date would seem to be around 2010.

The year 2007 begins to mark the closing of the window of opportunity for military strikes against Iran.

August 2007
    Monday, September 3rd is Labor Day 2007, the notional beginning of the 2008 Presidential campaign. If the White House is politically risk averse with reference to striking Iran, the weeks before Labor Day might mark the last opportune moment to do the deed before the Presidential campaign gets under way.

4 November 2008
    The US presidential election of 2008 is scheduled to occur on November 4, 2008. If the White House judges that military strikes would rally the country around the President and his party, it would argue for timing strikes as little as a week before the election, a pre-planned October Surprise.

20 January 2009
    The new President is inaugurated. Depending on political calculation, a final window of opportunity to strike Iran opens during the transition from the old President the new. If Bush judged that his incoming successor lacked the resolve to take the necessary action, or if it were judged that blaming Bush would ease the way of the new President, there might be arguments for striking after the election but before the inauguration.

31 December 2009
    If strikes have not occurred by January 2009, the new President will have some months to decide on a course of action. If strikes have not occurred by the end of 2009, American policy will have shifted from saying the Atomic Ayatollahs are unacceptable, to accepting them as an accomplished fact.

FULL TIMELINE: http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...n-timeline.htm
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    couldn't they just fill the empty desert with solar collectors?
    Sprint 700p
  5.    #65  
    Heck they were even offered a reactor that would meet their demands for electricity that they claim is what they want to do.....they refused it as an insult. Could be that they reactor that would provide the electricity they claim they want to use it for does not produce any weapons grade material have anything to do with it?
    Clearly Iran is both a manipulator and a threat. It is trying to use the threat of nuke development to get something (respect?) from the rest of the world (specifically the western powers). Once it does possess the nukes, it would be a serious threat to both the Western nations as well as to the rest of the Middle Eastern region.

As for the hypocrisy of the US or other nations - that's bogus (sorry Blaze - I'm on the other side here). Regardless of whatever US foreign policy screw-ups in the past - at least the intentions were true (ok, ok - I'm not going to argue about the Iraq invasion). Iran may point at some of these and scream about American imperialism or other b.s. - but that is simply not true. As a democratic nation we (US) have come a long way and most of the other middle-eastern nations, especially Iran, are not even at the starting line - and therefore simply cannot be trusted.

I think that it is interesting that we have become more sophisticated in our outlook - for example Bush is pressing to supply nuclear fuel to India even though it not even a NPT signatory, whereas it is coming down hard on Iran which is a NPT signatory. At first blush this looks like a case of double-standards - but in reality India is probably far less of a threat than Iran. I would say that the "responsible" nuclear powers would include US, the nuclear European nations, Russia, China and India. The countries which are volatile or irresponsible would include N.Korea, Pakistan and Israel - and of course now Iran. The reason I would add Israel to that list is because they are under severe stress and may be tempted to go nuclear if pushed too far.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  7.    #67  
    Chill....great post!

Here is some late breaking news that I found interesting:

Iran shuts newspaper over riot-causing cartoon
    Editor, cartoonist are held in prison that caused Azeri minority to riot

TEHRAN, Iran - The government closed one of the country’s top three newspapers Tuesday, detaining its editor and cartoonist, for publishing a caricature that caused members of Iran’s Azeri minority to riot in protest.

State television reported that the Press Supervisory Body had closed the state-owned Iran, “due to its publication of divisive and provocative materials.”

The closure was indefinite, the television reported.

------------------

On Friday, the Farsi-language paper Iran published a cartoon showing a cockroach speaking Azeri, the language of an ethnic group in northwestern Iran.

The cartoon provoked riots in Tabriz, the capital of Eastern Azerbaijan province, on Monday. Police fired tear-gas as rioters smashed windows of the local governor’s office.

-------------------

Iran’s conservative judiciary has closed more than 100 newspapers, mostly pro-reform, since 2000. However, Tuesday’s closure came from the Press Supervisory Body, not the judges.

FULL STORY: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12023334
    Man, imagine what our culture here in the US would be like if our Gov had closed over 100 newspapers in the last 5 years, just because they did not like what they were saying?
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Chill....great post!

Here is some late breaking news that I found interesting:

Iran shuts newspaper over riot-causing cartoon
    Editor, cartoonist are held in prison that caused Azeri minority to riot

Man, imagine what our culture here in the US would be like if our Gov had closed over 100 newspapers in the last 5 years, just because they did not like what they were saying?
    agreed - the fundamentalist regime in Iran has been probably as brutally repressive and murderous as Saddam's - but sadly there does not seem to be any hope disloging them anytime soon.
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
  9.    #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by chillig35
    but sadly there does not seem to be any hope disloging them anytime soon.
    Sure there is......say damn their side stepping, conquering motivated, stalling politics tactics and just nuke them all all this Friday....and then send in Mad Max to finish off any survivors! Works for me.

Seriously I agree. It is not an easy situation that has so many irons in the fire that adds so many complexities. Here is my personal assessment of the situation:

DIPLOMACY:
    I am 100% for diplomacy. But this can also be a weapon used against us. Diplomacy is only effective if both sides are willing to meet on a common ground. Things that will make diplomacy very challenging if not impossible with Iran:
    • Iran considers the UN sanctions an action of war
    • Stalling tactics are being very artfully used. This gives Iran the advantage of time to develop any possible nukes they can. It also gives them time to install / upgrade facilities to produce weapon grade material. They already have a deployment system in place that can reach well into the EU, they just need something with a big enough bang to put in it.
    • They claim to want to have nuke power for peaceful electricity and nothing more. So in response to this Russia offered to do the refining for them and make sure they have all the nuke power they need for electricity. They refused. the EU3 then offered to give Iran a nuke reactor that would produce energy for use for electricity but would not be able to be used for refining weapon grade material. Iran found this to be an insult to be offered the means to meet the goal they have stated they are trying to achieve.
    • Iran threatens to withdraw from the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty, the international treaty of accountability of possessing nuke power.
    • Iran threatens to share it's nuke technology with unstable gov like Sudan.
    • Iran says the Holocaust of WWII is a fabricated myth. No Jews were held in concentration camps none of them were persecuted by firing squads or gas chambers. He has even held conventions to prove this is all a bunch of historic lies. This is all to justify his statement that he is personally called to be the person to "wipe Israel off the map."

RUSSIAN & CHINA:
    Russia & China has so many economic ties to Iran it is ridiculous to think that they can give an impartial vote in any UN decision to take any action against Iran.
    • Russia: Russia is the one who is has contracts to install and provide nuke facilities for Iran. Big money. They are also a major arms customer of Russia. Big money.
    • China: China has made no secret that it considers Iran a major player in it's energy needs future (along with India). Because of this they have a huge incentive to help protect Iran from sanctions and any other action against Iran......both now for immediate supply needs, and for a "IOU" in their Iran's pocket for China's support now.

ISRAEL:
    As I mentioned above Israel may end up being the deciding factor of a peaceful or military solution. Let me rephrase that, Israel maybe the deciding factor for a military action. Basically if Israel gets into an armed conflict, it would be pretty safe to say that we will be as well. This is two fold:
    • Israel: Israel has proven several times in the past to not wait until the attacked to take action, but has made their move just before the other side was going to attack (arguably the 6 Day War and hitting previous nuke sites in Middle East neighbors).
    • Iran: They have already made no question about it, they want to literally destroy Israel with the most force possible. It would be just like your neighbor calling you on the phone and saying as soon as my gun arrives in the mail, I am going to shoot you and your children dead! If they make the first move, we are at war as well.

MILITARY OPTION:
    In order for diplomacy to have any meaning or incentive to meet on common ground, this option has to always be on the table. This is not saying that this is the path to take, or should be taken.....but if it is on the table it cannot be a spineless threat. It has to be a true option if the bluff is called.

This can happen against our wishes. For example Iran could refuse any and all diplomatic ventures and point their missiles at Iraq and Isreal....or even the EU....then hover their finger over the button and say "I dare you". Or actually attack Iraq or fire on US troops / ships in the area.

The other scenario beyond a conflict with Israel or saber rattling from Iran to brink of confrontation that I can see a military option being utilized, is if it is confirmed (or even possibly to the point of beyond a reasonable doubt, as is usually the very nature of intel) that Iran either developed or is JUST about to acquire a nuke.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/24/2006 at 12:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Sure there is......say damn their side stepping, conquering motivated, stalling politics tactics and just nuke them all all this Friday....and then send in Mad Max to finish off any survivors! Works for me.
    ah the MacArthur solution! But seriously - we don't have to worry about that - Israel will do it for us (or rather for themselves).

DIPLOMACY:
    I am 100% for diplomacy. .....
    won't work - you cannot negotiate with a fundamentalist/terrorist government. Isolate them long enough and eventually they'll come crawling on their knees back to the table - Libya is a good example.

RUSSIAN & CHINA:
    Russia & China has ....
    will do whatever they damn well please. They only care about their short-term interests (oil, money, their fingers in the pie) and do not even try to go through the pretense of trying to help stabilize the region or bring about democracy. But you missed out on Europe (at least the major EU powers) - they do go through the pretense but ultimately care about their own objectives.

ISRAEL:
    As I mentioned above Israel may end up being the deciding factor ....
    agreed - most likely Israel will take of Iran for the rest of the world - though Iranian oil will glow in the dark for the next three thousand years.

MILITARY OPTION:
    In order for diplomacy to have any meaning or incentive to meet on common ground, this option has to always be on the table. ....
    Iran knows that this is not a really viable option for the US right now which is precisely why they're behaving the way they are right now. While we may joke about a nuke strike here - I think Iran will be smart enough to avoid that showdown while still ratcheting up the rhetoric and posturing.

And this is probably where our views may diverge - I think got ourselves into this situation by getting bogged down in Iraq. I do agree with the President that we should finish what we started in Iraq and it is irresponsible for folks to talk about a pullout - but it still does not negate the fact that we made an enormous strategic blunder by going into Iraq that was compounded by a series of even bigger execution missteps. Iran and N.Korea know that we are hamstrung both politically (at home and abroad) as well as militarily and are taking full advantage of that situation.
  11.    #71  
    will do whatever they damn well please. They only care about their short-term interests (oil, money, their fingers in the pie) and do not even try to go through the pretense of trying to help stabilize the region or bring about democracy. But you missed out on Europe (at least the major EU powers) - they do go through the pretense but ultimately care about their own objectives.
    I agree, but the problem is they can block all UN options and solutions as they both have veto rights.

Iran knows that this is not a really viable option for the US right now which is precisely why they're behaving the way they are right now. While we may joke about a nuke strike here - I think Iran will be smart enough to avoid that showdown while still ratcheting up the rhetoric and posturing.

And this is probably where our views may diverge - I think got ourselves into this situation by getting bogged down in Iraq. I do agree with the President that we should finish what we started in Iraq and it is irresponsible for folks to talk about a pullout - but it still does not negate the fact that we made an enormous strategic blunder by going into Iraq that was compounded by a series of even bigger execution missteps. Iran and N.Korea know that we are hamstrung both politically (at home and abroad) as well as militarily and are taking full advantage of that situation.
    We don't diverge as much as you think. I recognize the the situation in Iraq is a benefit for Iran.....but if we had gone into Iran first we might be facing the same situation with Iraq (as Saddam already had documented and confessed of plans to reinstate his nuke program plus there were still tons of WMD material we knew he once had with no verification if he still had them or not), but with a worse situation to still deal with in Iran. The other thing to remember is that we did not even know about Iran's 20 year long secret nuke project until 5 months AFTER we toppled Iraq!

Click below for a detailed answer to my point of view on this question that has been posed several time over:

Timeline between Toppling Saddam vs Iran Nuke Crisis: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=50

Possibilities of who should have US gone after instead of Iraq: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...34&postcount=3

Iran Nuke Timeline: http://discuss.treocentral.com/showp...7&postcount=10
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/24/2006 at 05:32 PM.
    very good article on the contemporary politics of Iran in today's NY Times

it essentially describes a clever idealogically committed politician, who has been using jingoistically provocative rhetoric to gain popularity and consoldate power -- while at the same time making social reforms (for women as an example) that have eased internal dissension.

ironically, he reminds me of junior or reagun ...
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/28/2006 at 09:30 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  13.    #73  
    AP: U.S. to Give Iran Nuclear Technology

VIENNA, Austria (AP) - A package of incentives presented Tuesday to Iran includes a provision for the United States to supply Tehran with some nuclear technology if it stops enriching uranium - a major concession by Washington, diplomats said.

------------

The package was agreed on last week by the United States, Britain, France, China and Russia - the five veto-wielding members of the U.N. Security Council, plus Germany, in a bid to resolve the nuclear standoff with Iran.

The incentives include European offers of help in building nuclear reactors for a peaceful energy program, the diplomats said.

That European offer of light-water reactors meant for civilian nuclear energy purposes was revealed last month, but there had been no suggestion that the Americans would also agree to help build Iran's civilian nuclear program if Tehran freezes enrichment and agrees to negotiations.

-----------------

Solana "carried a message" about potential penalties but withheld the specific threats - including the possibility of U.N. sanctions - so as not to jeopardize the "positive" atmosphere, one of the diplomats said.

Those possible penalties include selective U.N. Security Council sanctions such as travel bans of Iranian government figures and a freeze of their foreign assets. But in a bow to Russia and China, they contain no threat of military action, diplomats have said.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8I2QFCG0.html
  14.    #74  

Iran Restarted Nuclear Activity, Report Says
    Published: June 8, 2006

Iranian researchers began a new round of nuclear enrichment on the same day that a European proposal for ending the crisis over Iran's nuclear program was presented in Tehran, the International Atomic Energy Agency reported today.

--------------------

The report of the new round of nuclear work was included in a update sent by Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei, the director of the International Atomic Energy Agency, to the agency's 35-member board. The report said that on Tuesday uranium gas had been introduced into the 164-machine cascade the Iranians had used to produce a sample of enriched uranium in April.

The new work, and especially its timing, is likely to be seen as an attempt to send a provocative message, an official for the atomic agency said, since the central requirement of the proposal delivered that day was that Iran suspend all enrichment-related activities.

---------------------------

The package includes a promise of a light-water nuclear reactor — and the prospect of United States participation in the talks.

But before the talks can begin, the United States, Britain, France, Russia China and Germany have agreed that Iran must suspend all nuclear enrichment-related work. Iranian officials have not commented directly on the call for a suspension — they halted similar work for more than two years during an earlier round of negotiations with Europe — but they have insisted that the talks cannot touch, as Mr. Ahmadinejad said today, their "nuclear rights."

----------------------------

in addition to beginning a new round of enrichment, Iran is continuing its work installing other sets of 164-machine cascades — series of thin metal tubes in which uranium gas is spun at high speed for purification.

Most of the three-page report was devoted to a list of questions on which Iran was said to have offered no new information.

--------------------------

But he said it showed the Iranians were doing little to help Mr. ElBaradei clear up the mysteries surrounding their program. "This shows that the Iranians, except in selected cases, have not been answering the questions raised by the I.A.E.A.," he said.

FULL STORY: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/08/wo...&partner=MYWAY
  15.    #75  
    Bush: Iran Must Respond in 'Weeks Not Months' to U.S. Offer
    Friday, June 09, 2006

CAMP DAVID, Md. — Iran has "weeks, not months" to suspend its nuclear weapons research and accept a U.S.-backed package of incentives, President Bush warned on Friday.

"If they choose not to come back to the suspend verifiably, there must be a consequence. There must be a sense of urgency on our part to send a common message to them," Bush told reporters...

If Iran doesn't suspend its program and uranium enrichment, there will be action taken, Bush said.

"We've given the Iranians a limited period of time — you know, weeks, not months — to digest a proposal to move forward. And if they choose not to verifiably suspend their program, then there will be action taken in the U.N. Security Council," Bush said.

FULL STORY: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198838,00.html
    Bolton rejects ‘grand bargain’ with Iran

Mr Bolton, who describes himself as “not much a carrots man”, was quick to play down expectations of a dramatic breakthrough and highlighted many of the problems facing the diplomatic process.

“It would be a mistake to think these negotiations are a first step towards some kind of grand bargain [involving US recognition],” he said. “We are only addressing the nuclear issue and stopping their pursuit of nuclear weapons.”

Financial Times
    Well behaved women rarely make history
  17.    #77  
    Still waiting for Iran's reply, but here are some updates:

State Radio: Iran Will Reject Proposed U.N. Resolution on Nuclear Program
    Saturday, July 29, 2006

TEHRAN, Iran — Iranian state radio said Saturday that the government would reject a proposed U.N. resolution that would give it until Aug. 31 to suspend uranium enrichment or face the threat of international sanctions.

"Iranians will not accept unfair decisions, even in the framework of resolutions by the international bodies," the commentary on state-run radio said.

There has been no official comment to the draft resolution, but state radio often is thought to provide the Iranian government line.

FULL STORY: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,206208,00.html
    Then the next day:

Iran to re-evaluate nuke incentive package
    7/31/2006

Earlier in the day, Iran's Foreign Ministry warned that Tehran would abandon the package if the U.N. Security Council approves a resolution against it on Monday.

"If any resolution is issued against Iran tomorrow, the package would be left off the agenda by Iran," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi told reporters. "We will definitely revise our nuclear policy."

Asefi's comments were the first official Iranian response to a draft resolution giving it until the end of August to suspend uranium enrichment or face the threat of international sanctions.

The draft was formally circulated to the full 15-member U.N. Security Council late Friday and observers said it would likely be adopted in the next week.

FULL STORY: http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2...s_x.htm?csp=15
  18.    #78  
    Iranian Leader: 'Pizza' to Be Called 'Elastic Loaves' in Foreign Word Ban
    Saturday, July 29, 2006

TEHRAN, Iran — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has ordered government and cultural bodies to use modified Persian words to replace foreign words that have crept into the language, such as "pizzas" which will now be known as "elastic loaves," state media reported Saturday.

The presidential decree, issued earlier this week, orders all governmental agencies, newspapers and publications to use words deemed more appropriate by the official language watchdog, the Farhangestan Zaban e Farsi, or Persian Academy, the Irna official news agency reported.

The academy has introduced more than 2,000 words as alternatives for some of the foreign words that have become commonly used in Iran, mostly from Western languages. The government is less sensitive about Arabic words, because the Koran is written in Arabic.

Among other changes, a "chat" will become a "short talk" and a "cabin" will be renamed a "small room," according to official Web site of the academy.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,206196,00.html
  19.    #79  
    Iran: Israel Has Hit Self-Destruct Button With Lebanon Invasion
    Thursday, July 27, 2006

TEHRAN, Iran — Israel has ordained its own destruction by invading Lebanon, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Thursday, according to the state news agency.

Addressing the clerical staff of the Friday prayer sermons in Tehran, Ahmadinejad said Israel and its supporters "should know that they cannot end the business that they have begun."

"The occupying regime of Palestine has actually pushed the button of its own destruction by launching a new round of invasion and barbaric onslaught on Lebanon," the official Islamic Republic News Agency quoted the president as saying.

A top Iranian negotiator reportedly visited Damascus on Thursday for talks on the Lebanese crisis with the Syrian and Hezbollah leaders, starkly outlining the shape of the triparty alliance arrayed against Israel.

--------------------------

The newspaper said the meeting was called to discuss ways to maintain supplies to Hezbollah fighters with "Iranian arms flowing through Syrian territories."

Al-Siyassah said it learned of the meeting from "well-informed Syrian sources" it did not identify. It reported that Nasrallah — who Israel would try to kill if it knew his whereabouts — was moving through Damascus with Syrian guards in an intelligence agency car. He was dressed in civilian clothes, not his normal clerical garb.

The Mehr news agency in Iran said Ali Larijani, secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, was in Damascus for the meeting, but gave no details. Similar reports were carried by the Iranian Labor News Agency and the Fars agency.

-----------------

"The problem isn't that people haven't talked to the Syrians. It's that the Syrians haven't acted," she said. "It's not as if we don't have diplomatic relations," she said. "We do."

-------------------

But Syrian officials said Damascus would only cooperate within the framework of a broader Middle East peace initiative that would include a return of the Golan Heights, captured by Israel in 1967 and annexed in 1981.

FULL STORY
  20.    #80  
    The UN meet today. Basically it is the same thing the UN does with any threat. It did demand Iran stop nuke work in one month. If they do not then the UN will meet again to talk about options for actions, that include economic sanctions. Then they have to meet again to define the sanctions. Then they have to meet in activate the sanctions. I am sure then they will have to meet to enforce the sanctions. This whole process has given Iran 2 plus years to continue their research and development of a nuke capabilities. All of this is even depending on if China & Russia, that has vast economic ties with Iran, will not veto any actions anytime along this process.

UN demands Iran stop nuclear work
    Jul 31

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The U.N. Security Council on Monday demanded that Iran suspend its nuclear activities in a month or face the threat of sanctions, but Tehran denounced the move as illegal and vowed to press on.

The council vote was 14 to 1, with Qatar, the only Arab member, voting against.

The resolution, which followed weeks of negotiations, demanded that Iran "suspend all enrichment-related and reprocessing activities, including research and development."

If Tehran does not comply by August 31, the council would consider adopting "appropriate measures" under Article 41 of Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter, which refers to economic sanctions.

The resolution was the first on Iran to include legally binding demands and a sanctions threat. The United States and its allies suspect Iran is developing a nuclear bomb and accuse it of hiding its research for the past 18 years.

---------------

While U.S. Ambassador John Bolton characterized Zarif's address as a rejection, Russia's U.N. Ambassador Vitaly Churkin said he preferred to view Iran's response in a positive light because Zarif did not specifically use the word "rejection."

---------------------

Russia and China are reluctant to impose sanctions and Churkin has said the sanctions provision meant the council would have "a discussion" only on punitive measures.

--------------------

Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter makes a resolution mandatory and provides options for enforcement. The document excludes any military action.

FULL STORY: http://reuters.myway.com//article/20...RAN-UN-DC.html
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast