Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Iran Urges U.N. Action Against U.S.

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - Iran denounced the United States on Monday for contemplating possible nuclear strikes against Iranian targets and urged the United Nations to take urgent action against what it called a dangerous violation of international law.

-------------------

Iran insists it is legally entitled under the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty to enrich uranium to provide fuel for civilian power plants but the United States suspects its real aim is to produce nuclear weapons, a view backed by Britain and France.

----------------------

Zarif's letter made no mention of recent threats by Iran's President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to wipe Israel "off the map."

Instead, the Iranian ambassador honed in on statements from U.S. officials, especially from Bush, which he said "defiantly articulate the United States policies and intentions on the resort to nuclear weapons."

--------------------

In a brief statement responding to the letter, U.S. Ambassador John Bolton said "if Iran wants to be treated differently, then Iran should stop pursuing nuclear weapons and give up terrorism."

The secretary-general had no immediate comment on the letter, said Marie Okabe, a U.N. spokeswoman.

FULL STORY: http://apnews.myway.com//article/200...D8HBC9POB.html
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/01/2006 at 11:04 PM.
  2.    #42  
    U.S. calls Iran “most active state sponsor of terrorism”

London, Apr. 28 – The United States described Iran on Friday as the most active state sponsor of terrorism.

“Iran remained the most active state sponsor of terrorism”, the U.S. State Department said in its annual Country Reports on Terrorism for the year 2005.

“Its Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) and Ministry of Intelligence and Security (MOIS) were directly involved in the planning and support of terrorist acts and continued to exhort a variety of groups, especially Palestinian groups with leadership cadres in Syria and Lebanese Hizballah, to use terrorism in pursuit of their goals”, the report said.

“In addition, the IRGC was increasingly involved in supplying lethal assistance to Iraqi militant groups, which destabilises Iraq”, it added.

“Iran continues to be unwilling to bring to justice senior al-Qaida members it detained in 2003. Iran has refused to identify publicly these senior members in its custody on ‘security grounds’. Iran has also resisted numerous calls to transfer custody of its al-Qaida detainees to their countries of origin or to third countries for interrogation and/or trial.

FULL STORY: http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/new...p?storyid=6974

Additional information:

Iran, N. Korea, Syria, Cuba Head State Sponsors of Terror List
    Placement on the list of state terrorism sponsors means a country faces four sets of U.S. sanctions:

• Arms-related exports and sales are banned;

• Exports of civilian goods or services that could also have military applications, known as dual-use items, are controlled and congressional notification of such exports is required;

• Economic assistance is prohibited; and

• Certain financial and other restrictions are imposed, including requiring U.S. opposition to World Bank loans to these countries, removing diplomatic immunity to allow terror victims to sue in U.S. courts, and denying tax credits for income earned in countries on the terror list.

FULL STORY: http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/di...wf-latest.html
  3.    #43  
    Iran threatens Israel if US acts "evil"

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran threatened on Tuesday to attack Israel in response to any "evil" act by the United States and said it had enriched uranium to a level close to the maximum compatible with civilian use in power stations.

The defiant statements were issued shortly before world powers meet in Paris to discuss the next steps after Tehran rejected a U.N. call to halt uranium enrichment.

-----------------

It has used a test cascade of 164 centrifuges to enrich uranium so far and is building two similar cascades. It says it will start installing 3,000 centrifuges later this year -- enough to yield material for one bomb within a year.

----------------

TARGETING ISRAEL

"We have announced that wherever America does something evil, the first place that we target will be Israel," ISNA quoted a senior Revolutionary Guards commander, Rear Admiral Mohammad-Ebrahim Dehqani, as saying on Tuesday.

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has called for the Jewish state to be "wiped off the map."

-------------------

Iran said Russia and China, also veto-wielding permanent council members, would not back any punitive measures.

"The thing these two countries have officially told us and expressed in diplomatic negotiations is their opposition to sanctions and military attacks," Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki told Iran's Kayhan newspaper.

China and Russia both have big energy interests in Iran, the world's fourth biggest oil exporter. Russia is also helping Iran build its first atomic power plant in the Gulf port of Bushehr.

------------------

Burns said he expected a consensus to emerge over the next 30-40 days on the need to send a "stiff message" to Iran, adding that a range of sanctions had been discussed privately.

These included restricting exports to Iran of dual-use technology that could support its research and development or help it fabricate fissile material or a nuclear device.

Other options were travel curbs on Iranian officials and a ban on arms sales to Iran, such as a planned Russian missile deal. Oil and gas sanctions were not being discussed now.

------------------

A U.N. resolution would be adopted under Chapter 7 of the U.N. Charter, making it binding in international law. A separate resolution would be required for sanctions or military action.

FULL STORY: http://reuters.myway.com//article/20...R-IRAN-DC.html
    I've got a "stiff" message for Iran - how about we just offer to GIVE Iran to Russia and China if they let us stop the nuclear program?

Oh no, I can hear Blazerboy and daThomas exploding as I type......
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Guess I was confused as it appeared you were attempting a comparison between our development of the nuke in 1941 and Iran's attempts now.....and with a contradicting statement following my response. ?
    You literally quoted the first half of my sentence and not the last.
    I guess if that is meaning I was being factual.....
    You were lecturing me on history, again.
    I cannot figure out if you are for Iran obtaining the nuke bomb or not?
    Nobody except the jihadists are for Iran obtaining the nuke bomb. I am just tempering some of the extreme comments here.
  6.    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    You literally quoted the first half of my sentence and not the last.
    I included the full quote in my first response and summarized it in the second, so You are right, here it is:
    And it's not entirely relevant to the parties engaged in a Nuclear arms race, how much of the world is involved, nor does it matter what bull**** cover story they give while they are developing the bomb, their survival is always equally at stake.
    I agree, it added to my misconception of your analogy you referred to our 1944 development of the nuke for our survival vs Iran's development of their nuke for their survival.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/03/2006 at 06:29 PM.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Even if we could come up with some 'objective' way of deciding who should have nukes and who should not...how do you stop other countries from selling that product or technology?
    Well that is what the Iran has already threatened to do.....go rouge against all international nuclear agreements, the UN, and the world community by sharing their nuke technology with terrorist supporting, unstable govs:

Iran Says It Will Share Nuclear Skills

TEHRAN, April 25—Iran's supreme leader said today in a meeting with the Sudanese president that Iran was ready to share its nuclear technology with other countries.

"Iran's nuclear capability is one example of various scientific capabilities in the country. The Islamic Republic of Iran is prepared to transfer the experience, knowledge and technology of its scientists," said the supreme religious leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, to President Omar al-Bashir of Sudan, IRNA news agency reported.

Mr. Khamenei's comments to the leader of Sudan, one of the most unstable countries in Africa, came a few days ahead of the Friday deadline by the United Nations Security Council for Iran to suspend its sensitive uranium enrichment activities.

---------------

Iran's chief nuclear negotiator, Ali Larijani, said that if the Security Council imposed sanctions, Iran will suspend its cooperation with the United Nations nuclear agency, and any military strike aimed at destroying its enrichment facilities will lead Iran to hide its program.

"If you decide to use sanction against us, our relation with the agency will be suspended," Mr. Larijani said. "Military action against Iran will not lead to the closure of the program," he added. "If you take harsh measures, we will hide this program. Then you cannot solve the nuclear issue."

FULL STORY: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/25/wo...&partner=MYWAY
    You are right, here it is:
    I agree, it added to my misconception of your analogy you referred to our 1944 development of the nuke for our survival vs Iran's development of their nuke for their survival.
    Hey thank you.
  9.    #49  
    This story would diffidently classify Iran as the manipulator:

Iran, Qatar Leaders Argue Over Gulf Name
    Wednesday, May 03, 2006

TEHRAN, Iran — Iranian president and the emir of Qatar got into it over the name of the body of water that separates Iran from the Arabian peninsula.

Geographers have traditionally called it the Persian Gulf — after ancient Persia which is now called Iran. The Arabs would prefer to call it the Arabian Gulf.

------------------

Qatar's emir, who signed several economic agreements and met top Iranian leaders during his visit, sought to ease the tension, saying "by the way, the gulf belongs to all (neighboring countries)."

Qatar and five other Arab states share the gulf waters with Iran, whose population and language are largely non-Arab.

Ahmadinejad's prickly response was apparently triggered by efforts to protect the term Persian Gulf against the use of Arabian Gulf, which Tehran views as an imposition by Arab nationalists.

Iran reacted strongly in 2004 when the eighth edition of the National Geographic atlas was released with the term Arabian Gulf in parenthesis beside the more commonly used Persian Gulf. Tehran banned that edition of the atlas, as well as National Geographic journalists, until the map for the Gulf region was changed.

------------------

Historically the body of water has been known as the Persian Gulf, but Arab nationalists .......made attempts to rename it the Arabian Gulf.

Iran has warned that it would not attend the 2006 Asian Games if host Qatar continues to use the term Arabian Gulf while advertising the games.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,194131,00.html
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/03/2006 at 11:07 PM.
  10.    #50  
    West puts UN pressure on Iran

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - The United States, Britain and France pressed ahead with a U.N. Security Council resolution demanding that Iran curb its nuclear ambitions and said they would push for targeted sanctions it if it does not.

But Russia, which has veto power in the council, on Wednesday made clear it would not support any sanctions but indicated it could back an initial resolution if it were modified.

---------------

Such measures are part of the U.S. proposals for future sanctions and bound to be rejected by Russia, the only major power still engaged in lucrative nuclear cooperation with Iran.

Shortly after the text was distributed to the 15 council members, China's U.N. Ambassador Wang Guangya said, "I don't think this draft as it stands now will produce good results. I think it is tougher than expected."

---------------

"The fundamental point is for Russia and China to agree that this a threat to international peace and security under Chapter 7," U.S. Ambassador John Bolton said.

-------------

"We will not give up our legitimate right (to nuclear technology) because of America's bullying and pressure," Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Asefi said, according to Iran's state television on Wednesday.

http://reuters.myway.com//article/20...R-IRAN-DC.html
    The survival of Iran is not at risk?

If I lived in or near Iran right now, I dont think I would share that view.
    Last edited by theBlaze74; 05/04/2006 at 10:12 AM.
  12.    #52  
    Iran has never proved themselves responsible to have a nuke. If they were, they would not have hid their program or it's intentions from the world community for 20 years. They would not have denied complete and unconditional inspections. They would not have kicked out the EIEA inspectors. They would not threaten to share their tech with unstable govs like Sudan.

If their program was for only electricity they would not baulk so hard a perfect Russian offer that ONLY restricted them from enriching themselves while providing the full nuke power for electricity.
    I call it the Arabian gulf.
    Yes Im Bahraini, but face it, there is Iraq, Kuwait, Saudi, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE & Oman
    all Arab countries,
    And Iran, A farsi Country
    7 Countries against one.. yes, lets disregard the seven, they must be wrong!

Anyhow, Bahrain & Kuwait mostly were longtime merchants reaching India & China through sea. Also they were expert pearl divers and fishermen.
    Iranians weren't so.

As for Nukes, once Iran have the NUKEs, they will invade us.
    start by Inciting most of the Shiiets in Bahrain, send forces and threaten everyone with Nukes, then they'll walk in.
    They claimed Bahrain for ages.
    They may very well use it for peaceful reasons. But I think thats an afterthought, I am sure they are preparing Nukes. Its a country bred on war.
    Iran has never proved themselves responsible to have a nuke. If they were, they would not have hid their program or it's intentions from the world community for 20 years. They would not have denied complete and unconditional inspections. They would not have kicked out the EIEA inspectors. They would not threaten to share their tech with unstable govs like Sudan.

If their program was for only electricity they would not baulk so hard a perfect Russian offer that ONLY restricted them from enriching themselves while providing the full nuke power for electricity.
    Did we "prove ourselves responsible" before developing a nuke? To whom?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Probably to the same people we were threatening to wipe off the face of the earth.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  16.    #56  
    Are you again claiming a comparison between our development of the nuke in 1944 vs Iran's attempts now? So are for comparing the two situations or not?
    So are for comparing the two situations or not?
    Not sure what you mean. Sorry.
    Iran threatens Israel if US acts "evil"

The answer is in their own insanity - let's just turn the Israeli's lose on them:

Cry "havoc!" and let loose the dogs of war,
    That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
    With carrion men, groaning for burial.

-- William Shakespeare "Julius Caesar"

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.
    -- Winston Churchill

The God of War hates those who hesitate. -- Euripides, 480-406 b.c

The essence of war is violence. Moderation in war is imbecility -- British Sea Lord John Fisher

The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other ******* die for his. -- General George S. Patton
    I think you are talking about the post where I said in response to the question asked title of this thread...

"Is Iran Seeking Nuclear Weapons, or Just Peacefull Nuclear Power"

And I responded....

Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze
    Did WE develop nukes for peacefull electricity?
    I was just pointing out the hipocricy inherent in the title.
    I think you are talking about the post where I said in response to the question asked title of this thread...

"Is Iran Seeking Nuclear Weapons, or Just Peacefull Nuclear Power"

And I responded....

I was just pointing out the hipocricy inherent in the title.
    You ought to be able to identify that.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 05/04/2006 at 04:37 PM.
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast