Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  

US says world safer, despite 11,000 attacks in '05
    Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:18 PM BST

By Caroline Drees, Security Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. war on terrorism has made the world safer, the State Department's counterterrorism chief said on Friday, despite more than 11,000 terrorist attacks worldwide last year that killed 14,600 people.

The U.S. State Department said the numbers, listed in its annual Country Reports on Terrorism released on Friday, were based on a broader definition of terrorism and could not be compared to the 3,129 international attacks listed the previous year....
    Last edited by theBlaze74; 04/29/2006 at 02:16 AM.
  2. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    theBlaze, your sig line is really buggin' me. Fix the typo "Cear my recently called list".

Thanks
    And just where were those 11,000 attacks.

By the way, don't respond to this.
    Its very possible that the attack #s could go up and we could be safer.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Since your link is just to the Reuters graphic, I googled for the article and even though I don't know the details of the different methods of accounting I found this interesting:

The death toll of 14,600 from some 11,000 incidents of terrorism, was a more than four-fold increase over the 3,400 fatalities from terrorism reported by the State Department in 2004.

But officials here said the difference came almost entirely from a new way of defining terrorist activity that now, among other things includes, attacks on civilians in Iraq.

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-04-28-voa54.cfm
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/29/2006 at 01:58 AM.
  6.    #6  
    lol, ok right, only 14 thousand 6 hundred killed from 11 thousand terrorist acts

ok, i stand corrected, we are safer
  7.    #7  
    In any event, your saying we are safer?
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Since your link is just to the Reuters graphic, I googled for the article and even though I don't know the details of the different methods of accounting I found this interesting:
    It's one thing to be misinformed, it's another to be misleading. If you have the courage of your convictions, Blaze, include all relevant information. Doing otherwise makes you look even more ignorant.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  9. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    I think those of you, who think us being in Iraq is making us safer obvisouly don't know history.
    Maybe you should enlighten us.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Maybe you should enlighten us.
    Think back 80's Afgahnistan.
  12.    #12  
    I didnt include or leave out or include any facts. Its a link Reuters story.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    lol, ok right, only 14 thousand 6 hundred killed from 11 thousand terrorist acts

ok, i stand corrected, we are safer
    Boy, either you TOTALLY missed the point or are being VERY selective in what you read in my post.

It was not about the numbers, as they probably matched up exaxtly with yours.....but cannot verify that without a link. The point was that they said:
    But officials here said the difference came almost entirely from a new way of defining terrorist activity that now, among other things includes, attacks on civilians in Iraq.
    My question was under the new way of accounting terrorist attacks, what were the numbers for the last several years. If someone did that we may find an increase, that we may be even, or even on a decrease. We don't know because they are comparing two different accounting methods.

EDIT: Thanks for updating the link.
  14.    #14  
    Forest for the trees again Hobbes.

11 thousand acts of terrorism, 14 thousand, 30 thousand, 2 thousand, a million .... Do you think this government and this occupation has made us, and will make us, more safe or less safe?

11 thousand acts of terrorism, 14 thousand, 30 thousand, 2 thousand, a million .... Do you think this government and this occupation has made us, and will make us, more safe or less safe?
    How many times in the last year have you or your family been in danger?
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    How many times in the last year have you or your family been in danger?
    From terrorists? ... Well I guess not unless you you get shipped off to Iraq.

And as far as here at home ... how many times have you or your family been in danger EVER?
    From terrorists? ... Well I guess not unless you you get shipped off to Iraq.

And as far as here at home ... how many times have you or your family been in danger EVER?
    I wasn't aware there was a draft, I thought the military was made up of volunteers. As for me being in danger, only from leftist propagandists like you.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    Think back 80's Afgahnistan.
    Think apples and oranges.

The point is that Hobbes called you on the facts. Now the only thing you have to go on is perception. Sort of like that old 3-1 line.
    Ask that little kid that was hiking with his parents on Flagstaff -- Boy, 7, attacked by mountain lion in Colorado
    Well behaved women rarely make history
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast