Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got in touch with one of my sprint contacts yesterday and found out that Sprint will be launching a treo 700p and 700w One month apart. Unlike what many people have been saying sprint is not trying to be ultra secritive about the specs of the phones to build excitement. They have released so little info because of current exclusivity with Verizon on the 700w. Sprint is not permitted to release any information yet at this time. I have also been told that the 700p is slated for June and the 700w for July, all subject to change.

With all this information i ask the question to all you treo geeks out there. What is the better OS? Windows or Palm and why? Since we will be getting an option acording to what i have been told i want to make sure i get the better of the two.

~HUB~
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion

It's AND !!!!!!!!!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  4.    #4  
    Also just found out that Sprint employees at least in my market are being trained on the Treo 700 on May 15. We are getting closer!

~Hub~
    LOL

Each OS has it's pros and cons.

Device wise, the 700W may be memory challenged.

I am buying the 700P because I have 10 years of PalmOS finger tip knowledge and an extensive library of PalmOS applications.

Cheers, Perry.
  6.    #6  
    Perry,

Not taking your software collection and comfort level into account, what are some pros and cons of each one? I would imagine that palm would run much more smoothly since it has been used up to the point. The Memory is a good point. Anything else you can suggest considering assuming that the specs are very simular in every other way.

~Hub~
    Hi Hub!!

I have not played with the 700W, so I cannot give a side by side comparison. There may be one in the 700W forum somewhere. . . .

Obviously, once the 700P sees the light of day -- I am sure all the handheld sites will do a comparison.

As with any product -- make up your list of needs/wants -- and see how each product stacks up against the list.

Cheers, Perry.
    I think the PalmOS has been very finely tuned for one handed use. There has previously been no comparison between the two systems. However, it is my understanding that there are some new 3rd party apps that are giving the WM better usability in this regard. I am with Perry though. I have been using PalmOS for so long, I don't want to make the leap.

Another point is the form factor. Well, the treo 700w and p are virtually identical, but other WM devices are drastically different with slide out keyboards, etc.

Neither device has wifi.
    Many other WM devices do. If the p doesn't come soon, I will be forced to abandon ship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wireless Hub
    Perry,

Not taking your software collection and comfort level into account, what are some pros and cons of each one? I would imagine that palm would run much more smoothly since it has been used up to the point. The Memory is a good point. Anything else you can suggest considering assuming that the specs are very simular in every other way.

~Hub~
    From what I've read, many people around the blogsphere are saying that they believe the 650 is better than the 700w. Because Windows Mobile is too clumsy compared to the Palm OS. Though the 700w, has EVDO and a slightly better camera some people regret doing the change from a 650 to a 700w. I personally would not buy a 700w even if Palm adds more RAM (which is currently an issue) or improve one hand navigation (which is aweful compared to the 650) In other words, the 700p will be a 700w killer once it comes out.

Al
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo
    From what I've read, many people around the blogsphere are saying that they believe the 650 is better than the 700w. Because Windows Mobile is too clumsy compared to the Palm OS. Though the 700w, has EVDO and a slightly better camera some people regret doing the change from a 650 to a 700w. I personally would not buy a 700w even if Palm adds more RAM (which is currently an issue) or improve one hand navigation (which is aweful compared to the 650) In other words, the 700p will be a 700w killer once it comes out.

Al
    All of the above may be true, until we get to WM's strenghts. If you want slingbox to work, or like alternative browsers, or want random wifi cards to work, or want third party software support, and want to be on a platfrom with a future vs the last hurrah of a sunset OS, WM beats POS hands down.

Surur
    Surur is right about WM beating Palm OS in features. When I got to review a ppc-6700 I was amazed at how far Windows Mobile has come, and how improved it is. The thing that makes the Palm OS a better OS in my opinion for the Treo is the one handed navigation, 64MB on Palm OS is so much more than Windows Mobile. I think if Windows Mobile focused on the one handed navigation like Palm has it would be so beneficial for them. I agree with Surur that Windows Mobile beats Palm on features, but for a phone Palm has it just right with the Treo, for now.
    Jimmie Geddes
    This may not matter to you but I'm a Mac user and I've had very, very limited issues with syncing my Treo 600 (POS of course) to my mac where I know people who have had more of their share of issues with Windows Mobile.

Plus I'm more comfortable with Palm and I've got a bunch of programs already that I enjoy using on it and don't feel like searching out and trying to learn a bunch of new programs. I suppose I'm alittle set in my ways.
    I am a Mac user as well, and Palm supports Mac right out of the box. Windows Mobile does not, but there are programs like Missing Sync that will let you sync a Windows Mobile device and a Mac. Right now Missing Sync has an Alpha release that supports Windows Mobile 5 via BT only, a full release will support USB, etc.

I was able to sync a ppc-6700 with my intel iMac using bootcamp,lol.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Wirless_hub.... I was so looking forward to get 700P you had to do this!!!! now I'll have to get my spread sheet out and figure out which one is a better OS!

may the "best" (working) OS won.

"best" -- subject to your def. of best
    (working) -- nevermind
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Geddes
    I am a Mac user as well, and Palm supports Mac right out of the box. Windows Mobile does not, but there are programs like Missing Sync that will let you sync a Windows Mobile device and a Mac. Right now Missing Sync has an Alpha release that supports Windows Mobile 5 via BT only, a full release will support USB, etc.

I was able to sync a ppc-6700 with my intel iMac using bootcamp,lol.
    Were youable tosync via Bluetooth? If so, was it a pain or did it go somewhat well? I was looking at getting T-Mobile MDA for a little while as I felt I couldn't wait that much more, but WM5 just seemed like it would be more of a pain that it was actually worth to me and then I found out about SERO and better and better rumors of the 700P and I was back on the "I can probably wait a little longer" bandwagon. I just hope the 700P gets released before SERO ends.
    I never synced via BT with the 6700 and Missing Sync, I installed bootcamp. I am sure it's pretty slow to sync that way, I know syncing my Treo 650 via BT is too slow for me. Missing Sync should have an update soon to support standard USB syncing.
    Jimmie Geddes
    Thanks, kind of what I expected. Too much of a pain for its own good at the moment, at least it makes it easier for me to wait to get a new Treo.
    [B][I] hi guys i am new to treocentral and i have been checking out this website since jan of 06.I had nextel at for the last 2 yrs and they were so bad with dropped calls i had to talk on the house phone.I left at went to verizon to get the treo 700w.$399 with 2 yr.$126.00 a month for 1350 mins,evdo,tax and insurance.I pretty much like it but memory is killing me.i cant run windows media player,internet explorer, and AgileMessenger.I think windows just needs too many resources to run.If the sprint Treo 700p has 64mb of ram i am gone and selling this 700w on ebay.I will just have to pay $175 early cancel fee.
    It will have 64mb of ram.
    Jimmie Geddes
    240x240 is killing me.i just gave nextel $200 for early cancel now i will have to give verizon $175.I just couldnt wait for the 700p.B-day is may 19th so i might get one free lol,if i am lucky.hopefully on ebay i will get 400+ for this thing back to go toward my 700p
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast