Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Yehaaww, Ain't that the truth. Last time I hired some ill-eagles, they dun cost me bout eight bucks an hour! Ain't worth mor'n four bucks if yall ask me.
    Why pay them at all. Hire them for a month and call immigration on them.

After we have nobody to pick our fruit and care for our livestock, we can bring black slavery and turn La into one big phat farm!
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by nonobeez
    Why pay them at all. Hire them for a month and call immigration on them.

After we have nobody to pick our fruit and care for our livestock, we can bring black slavery and turn La into one big phat farm!
    Right, 'cause Americans would never pick fruit or care for livestock!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Right, 'cause Americans would never pick fruit or care for livestock!
    I really doubt INS will raid farms...

Anybody here carry US citizinship (or residency) proof with them at all times? I think it should be mandated.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.

Anybody here carry US citizinship (or residency) proof with them at all times? I think it should be mandated.
    Not sure what you're gettng at.

there are lots of civil liberties aspects of this that make me queasy -- but in general I'd be open to the possibility of there being the presumption of non-citizenship in the case of anyone who is unable to speak and understand English.

If hoovs is pulled over for having too many people in his Prius, and the officer needs to speak spanish to him in order to ask him where he's going, I would not object to the officer demanding to see a passport, greencard etc.

I would not want this kind of requirement to be made general for the entire population though -- which is where it gets dodgy.

I'm unalterably opposed to a national ID card system.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    If hoovs is pulled over for having too many people in his Prius, and the officer needs to speak spanish to him in order to ask him where he's going, I would not object to the officer demanding to see a passport, greencard etc.
    Me neither!!!

Me too!

Who knew? The fact that we're agreeing either bodes well for you or poorly for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Me neither!!!

Me too!

Who knew? The fact that we're agreeing either bodes well for you or poorly for me.

hoovs, what ever means we need to get you deported makes both me and homeland security sleep more comfortably !!
    Lets not get side-tracked by contentious immigration issues. The topic is high fuel prices. A lot of this is due to oil being a scare resource, which therefore mandates we increase our options for providing energy. There are many options for this e.g increase coal power plants, nuclear energy, biofluels such as wood, ethanol, biodiesel etc, solar, wind, tidal, hydro-electric etc.

The ones easiest to ramp up in the short term would be wind and biodiesel and ethanol. In the medium term we are looking at coal and nuclear, and possibly solar. Long term would be all the preceding, and possibly tida.

My preferred solution would be a massive expansion in wind and solar, due to the ease of adding capacity piecemeal, vs the long lead time for a nuclear power plant. There are of course other considerations which I find desirable, mainly the non-polluting nature and renewable aspect.

Anyone disagree in general or the specifics?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Lets not get side-tracked by contentious immigration issues. ...
    cool -- new thread then ...
    The ones easiest to ramp up in the short term would be wind and biodiesel and ethanol.
    The latter two of which are actively attracting a ton of capital right now because they are extremely profitable. High oil prices aren't all bad. They are a signal that something needs to be done, and now people do doing it. There is gov't prodding involved (though I don't think there need be), but the economics speak for themselves.
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Papers please!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    there are lots of civil liberties aspects of this that make me queasy -- but in general I'd be open to the possibility of there being the presumption of non-citizenship in the case of anyone who is unable to speak and understand English.

I would not want this kind of requirement to be made general for the entire population though -- which is where it gets dodgy.

Good points.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The latter two of which are actively attracting a ton of capital right now because they are extremely profitable. High oil prices aren't all bad. They are a signal that something needs to be done, and now people do doing it. There is gov't prodding involved (though I don't think there need be), but the economics speak for themselves.
    it would make economic, environmental, and national security sense to subsidize the installation of both domestic solar hot water and solar voltaic in places where the climate is apropriate.

The cost of these things may now take 5-20 years to pay off for the individual.

But the collective (and planetary) value -- and return on the investment -- is much bigger.

If every south facing Houston roof had on it a supplemental solar water heater and a solar voltaic array that pumped its power directly into the grid, how many new power plants would Texas need to construct ??
    Last edited by BARYE; 04/28/2006 at 10:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Lets not get side-tracked by contentious immigration issues. The topic is high fuel prices. A lot of this is due to oil being a scare resource, which therefore mandates we increase our options for providing energy. There are many options for this e.g increase coal power plants, nuclear energy, biofluels such as wood, ethanol, biodiesel etc, solar, wind, tidal, hydro-electric etc.

The ones easiest to ramp up in the short term would be wind and biodiesel and ethanol. In the medium term we are looking at coal and nuclear, and possibly solar. Long term would be all the preceding, and possibly tida.

My preferred solution would be a massive expansion in wind and solar, due to the ease of adding capacity piecemeal, vs the long lead time for a nuclear power plant. There are of course other considerations which I find desirable, mainly the non-polluting nature and renewable aspect.

Surur
    Coal???? I am not sure that we would be much better off with coal over oil. It has been a while since I have read much about coal, but if my memeory serves me correct it is one of the dirtiest energy sources (high pollutant), and again we will be utilizing a resource that is not rapidly formed in nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Good points.
    maybe we can fight (or at least agree ) in the deport hoovs thread

(sorry hoovs !!)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

Surur
    On the off-topic, off-topic topic, I was not trying to hijack the thread, just making fun of the comparison on energy cost to cost of removing a ruthless dictator and assisting a country in implementing the form of govt they desire.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Coal???? I am not sure that we would be much better off with coal over oil. It has been a while since I have read much about coal, but if my memeory serves me correct it is one of the dirtiest energy sources (high pollutant), and again we will be utilizing a resource that is not rapidly formed in nature.
    coal is still very abundant -- and the newest technology is a vast improvement in efficiency and in the scrubbing out the pollution (though the CO issue is still an issue that they deal with in rube goldbergesque sort of way ...)
    it would make economic, environmental, and national security sense to subsidize the installation of both domestic solar hot water and solar voltaic in places where the climate is apropriate.

The cost of these things may now take 5-20 years to pay off for the individual.

But the collective (and planetary) value -- and return on the investment -- is much bigger.

If every south facing Houston roof had on it a supplemental solar water heater and a solar voltaic array that pumped its power directly into the grid, how many new power plants would Texas need to to construct ??
    A twenty year payout is miserable. Government should not subsidize anything because it is too expensive. If there are factors that dicate a "master planner" (such as in national defense), then I will entertain the notion of a intervention ("planetary" qualifies), but just because you think it makes sense doesn't mean that is true and I will fight to prevent you from convincing the government of as much. You cannot take away my rights nor my money. They can.
    As for your question, I don't know. But if it makes so much economic sense, why aren't people doing it already?
    coal is still very abundant -- and the newest technology is a vast improvement in efficiency and in the scrubbing out the pollution (though the CO issue is still an issue that they deal with in rube goldbergesque sort of way ...)
    The bigger issue is carbon dioxide, and that will continue to be a problem with all hydrocarbons unless we can figure out a way to make them ourselves (like ethanol).
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    How long will coal be abundant if we start utilizing that as a major source of energy? Another issues would be transportation of such a bulky substance.
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast