Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Great example DaT, I brought up senators driving their SUV 1 block to participated in an environmental protest and you get bent out of shape.
    You're focusing on a small group of peoplee. This administration needs to confront the Amercian people with their own behavior.

(btw, you and i play the "last word" game worse than my girlfriend and me)
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I don't think this is the case. If oil continues to live in the $70+ range, we'll see a gradual shift back toward more dense areas. Just as you didn't wake up one day to find millions of people moved to the burbs overnight, the reverse won't happen. Let the price settle where it will and let people react as they see fit. That is the system we have and it has worked so well for so long, I think people's inclination to all of a sudden say life as we know it is over is a bit premature.
    Local gov't can do more to encourage denser urban growth than wait on market winds. Here in Seattle the local gov't has several programs including development breaks to those builders who reserve main floor space for retail.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    My defination of a moron, is anybody that calls other people a moron because of their commute, when he has no idea that in some cases (most where I live) there are no alternatives. My car however does get 40mpg so I don't feel to bad.

I also feel the only people that should be driving humvees are those people that are riding into battle.
    As I've said before, gimmee two addresses and I'll give you alternatives. How about a car pool? And all I'm talking about is ONCE a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Local gov't can do more to encourage denser urban growth than wait on market winds. Here in Seattle the local gov't has several programs including development breaks to those builders who reserve main floor space for retail.
    Seattle, a bastion for nose ringed, dyed hair liberals wanting to have government control what you do. Sounds like a great place.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    As I've said before, gimmee two addresses and I'll give you alternatives. How about a car pool? And all I'm talking about is ONCE a week.

Im not giving you my address.

I do not live near anybody I work with or even go near where my neighbors work. Even if I did, I sometimes work late. Im sure they would be very happy to hear they can't go home yet because Im not done with my paperwork.
    Im not giving you my address.

I do not live near anybody I work with or even go near where my neighbors work. Even if I did, I sometimes work late. Im sure they would be very happy to hear they can't go home yet because Im not done with my paperwork.
    Excuse after excuse. See, that's the problem. You (and the rest of most of America) can't even fathom not driving their car to work one lousy day a week. Until this changes, oil/gas companies will have us by the short hairs.
  7.    #67  
    Some figures say there might be 10 years of oil in Alaska. We dont know because they are not even aloud to look. 10 years sounds good to me with an ultimatum that we must be using alternative fuels by then..
    Most figures I have seen for Alaska drilling show that it will help to maintain current use and hold the increase on foreign oil that is projected. This alone would be valuable.

But domestic drilling is not just limited to Alaska, it also includes the Gulf of Mexico, and exploration in other parts. Together could have a drastic impact on reducing our dependence on foreign oil while develop alt fuel source and implement a system of distribution to the public. Below are some examples of drilling, but not in any wildlife preserve.

Powerful business groups are working alongside oil companies to lobby Congress over drilling on the Outer Continental Shelf, which extends from three to 200 miles offshore.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/27/2006 at 03:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Seattle, a bastion for nose ringed, dyed hair liberals wanting to have government control what you do. Sounds like a great place.
    It is a great place.

And do you have anything to say besides insults and the most obtuse conservative catch phrases?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You're focusing on a small group of peoplee. This administration needs to confront the Amercian people with their own behavior.

(btw, you and i play the "last word" game worse than my girlfriend and me)
    But, it is the classic do as I say, not as I do.

(I usually let your girlfriend have the last word as she is leaving my house )
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Excuse after excuse. See, that's the problem. You (and the rest of most of America) can't even fathom not driving their car to work one lousy day a week. Until this changes, oil/gas companies will have us by the short hairs.
    I guess my excuse is

1. I dont live near public transportation
    2. I dont live near coworkers
    3. I cant ride a bike on the parkway

I have explained it to your 3 times now but you still can't comprehend that not everybody can get to work the way you do. Don't think you can judge me DaT because once a week, you ride a schwin to your office and I don't.
    It is a great place.

And do you have anything to say besides insults and the most obtuse conservative catch phrases?
    Yeah, your mama.

Question: How many Republicans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Answer: 13
    One to screw in the bulb, twelve to investigate Clinton's involvement in the failure of the old bulb.
    You keep believing that and we'll start sewing the patches on your brown shirt.
    Pot, meet kettle.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Hi Barye!

As I stated earlier, there is little doubt that both parties have blood on their hands. I totally agree that the Reps have many shameful moments with dealing with this issue, as well as the Dems. Lobbyists with deep pockets will pull from both sides of the fence, as long as it gets them what they want (or what they don't want in many cases).

An example or two for the Dems, off the top of my head would be many of the Dems opposed ethanol fuel requirements for gas stations, many opposed to stricter CAFE requirements/restrictions, fought against domestic drilling, and raising the taxes on gas.

I strongly feel that the Reps and the Dems have sold us out in several situations over the last 20 years. They have acted in the their best interest (i.e. money from lobbyist, self beneficial political gain against the opposing party with no regard to the welfare of the people, tax increases, not having the guts to face the oil companies, wimping out on alt fuel incentives and progress, opposing domestic drilling, etc....).
    I've been at least partially convinced that the current ethenal corn craze is at best a short term and very expensive band aid -- (given the energy costs of producing corn, the inefficiency of the conversion).

I am no expert on this (unlike everything else) -- but I have have seen other forms of biomass that are better environmentaly and are more cost effective. (Brazil is apparently using sugar cane successfully).

encouraging Bio diesel (which runs on french fried tater grease) is potentialy a better avenue to go in.

(junior has been advocating his "perfect" hydrogen solution -- typically as an obstacle to things that are real world, practical, and achievable (like demanding higher MPG of all vehicles.)

ultra plugin hybrids -- that can run for 50-100 miles on batteries alone are already viable for example

If the MPG rating were pushed up enough, the market would soon deliver practical, affordable vehicles

Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    BTW: How was your trip? You were gone for LONG time, weren't you? Was it for business, vacation, or adventure?
    as you know Hobbes, I'm constantly on the run, fleeing Woof and his like minions. I was hoping to find in the triple canopy jungle some respite, and maybe a place in need of a new emperor ... alas no.

(But seriously it was kind of all three -- maybe I'll create an "impressions" thread before I forget everything ... )
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Yeah, your mama.
    Classy.

Classy.

You keep believing that and we'll start sewing the patches on your brown shirt.
    Once again: Pot, meet kettle.
    http://www.eia.doe.gov/pub/oil_gas/p...l/summary.html

This government report, based on a USGs survey estimates around 10 billion barrels of oil available.

a 95 percent probability that at least 5.7 billion barrels of technically recoverable undiscovered oil are in the ANWR coastal plain,
    a 5 percent probability that at least 16 billion barrels of technically recoverable undiscovered oil are in the ANWR coastal plain, and
    a mean or expected value of 10.3 billion barrels of technically recoverable undiscovered oil in the ANWR coastal plain.
    This could be exploited over twenty to thirty years. This sounds like a lot, but US uses around 30 billion barrels of oil currently, and this is just set to increase. This means at most it will add 2% (and much less initially) to the supply of oil used in the US. The price of gas will go down by 4c.

Arctic refuge drilling does not provide much of an answer.

Surur
    I guess my excuse is

1. I dont live near public transportation
    2. I dont live near coworkers
    3. I cant ride a bike on the parkway

Don't think you can judge me DaT because once a week, you ride a schwin to your office and I don't.
    1) I don't believe it.

2) You don't have to work with someone to carpool.

3) What is this fabled "parkway" which seperates space and time between your bed and your job through which only an auto can pass?

It's not once a week, it's three times a week, 40 minutes each way amd it's not a schwin it's a Marin.

The other 2 days I ride the bus, which allows me time to sip my coffee and read the news or watch last night's Daily Show on my Treo.
    Classy.

and then there's this one...

After that, you may want to consider getting out of your fawking car you single occupant vehicle morons!
    Typical liberal, you forget that there is a paper trail here?
    and then there's this one...

Typical liberal, you forget that there is a paper trail here?
    Yes, and my trail was at least on topic. Again, you've contributed little other than standard bumber-sticker phrases.
  19.    #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    I've been at least partially convinced that the current ethenal corn craze is at best a short term and very expensive band aid -- (given the energy costs of producing corn, the inefficiency of the conversion).

I am no expert on this (unlike everything else) -- but I have have seen other forms of biomass that are better environmentaly and are more cost effective. (Brazil is apparently using sugar cane successfully).

encouraging Bio diesel (which runs on french fried tater grease) is potentialy a better avenue to go in.

(junior has been advocating his "perfect" hydrogen solution -- typically as an obstacle to things that are real world, practical, and achievable (like demanding higher MPG of all vehicles.)

ultra plugin hybrids -- that can run for 50-100 miles on batteries alone are already viable for example

If the MPG rating were pushed up enough, the market would soon deliver practical, affordable vehicles
    I have stated in other threads that I am for Bio Diesel. Many trucks currently on the road now, could be fit with a conversation kit, can use the current distribution system, gas stations only have to add a pump to their current system, etc.... This could be implemented in a relative short time. Think of all the diesel that could be saved with semi trucks.

I agree with you that that there needs to be several layers of solutions.
    • Immediate Band Aids (now...write, submit it, pass it...i.e. 60 day suspend Fed gas tax, etc..),
    • Short Term (now - 3 yrs...increase MPG requirements, add incentives for making & owning hybrids, encourage and give incentives for conservation),
    • Mid Term (3-10 yrs...domestic drilling, increase refineries, implement bio diesel, make hybrids common and affordable for the average joe, etc...),
    • Long Term (10 and beyond ... R&D alt fuels, establish destitution network for alt fuels, lower cost of offering alt fuel at consumer level).
    Yes, and my trail was at least on topic. Again, you've contributed little other than standard bumber-sticker phrases.
    What bumper did this come from?

After that, you may want to consider getting out of your fawking car you single occupant vehicle morons!
    You are a tough person to debate with. TomUps says he does not live near public transportation and your intellectual prowess serves this informed response:

1) I don't believe it.
    Not knowing where he lives doesn't stop your well-founded answer, you will him to carpool, therefore he must. You sir are much to intelligent for someone with my limited means to spar with, so I spend my menial life throwing barbs tying to expose your stupidity with a bit of humor. And I must admit, I'm cracking myself up!
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast