Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Keep spinning.

Since you bring up previous administrations, hold them accountable for failure to reduce dependancy, failure to get more refineries up and running, failure to......never mind, it will always be the fault of a Bush with you.
    Do the words "refinery consolidation" light up any gas flares ?? remember the rationalization used to justify the oil company mega mergers ??

Teddy Roosevelt is no doubt spinning in his grave

(btw --a Republican cardio -- a Republican I respect !)
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Question: How many Republicans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Answer: 13
    One to screw in the bulb, twelve to investigate Clinton's involvement in the failure of the old bulb.

Since the light bulb probably burnt out and was ignored during Clinton's Admin to provide more romantic lighting for the interns, there is probably a lot of truth to that!
    Of course in the UK fuel efficiency has long been on the agenda. My wife drives a yaris with a 0.99 L engine. I drive a 1.6 L car. When I hear about 5L cars I gasp in unbelief. Apparently these are however common in USA.

The real question people are asking is not what can be done about high fuel prices, but what can be done without causing any inconvenience to themselves.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Uhm....I am not going to have my wife traveling 90 miles a day on multiple bus routes, especially when half that trip would be between 10:00 pm to 2:00 am. Especially since the nearest bus stop is over 3/4 a mile away from her office
    thru parking lots and streets with either no or very little lighting. The safety issue a women travelling like this on a regular bases at these times and under these conditions starts to GREATLY deminish the conservation of gas driving would secure.

BTW, I have mapped it out before. Using very conservative numbers, It would take up to 2 hours each way, very probably closer to 3 hours. That would make for up to a 20 hour day. She would have as little as 4 hours at home to sleep and be ready for the next day.

Again, the carpool would not work. She works odd hours when compared to everyone else. She works 3 days a week. Arrives at the office at around 10:30 am and her time off varies greatly every night from anywhere around 10:00 pm to 2:00 am. I don't think many people would want to wait that long to carpool back home.

So now we not only morons, but we are also unwise? Do you have any idea of the circumstances that lead up to this situation?

I think that before you assault the judgement of myself or my family, it would be better to determine the circumstances before passing judgement.

I can't believe that even with agreeing with you and taking your argument further in support of your ideas and great suggestions, you are unable to accept that there are valid exceptions with very good logistical reasons.

There are always exceptions.

That being said, since your wife's time of commuting is outside of the usual, she is less of a bottleneck. But note, even one day a week would make a great impact. Also, you have to at least try the carpool matching website before you dismiss it.

To clarify, morons are those who site in commuter traffic in a single occupancy vehicle every work day of the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Of course in the UK fuel efficiency has long been on the agenda. My wife drives a yaris with a 0.99 L engine. I drive a 1.6 L car. When I hear about 5L cars I gasp in unbelief. Apparently these are however common in USA.

The real question people are asking is not what can be done about high fuel prices, but what can be done without causing any inconvenience to themselves.

Surur
    Exactly the problem here.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    (btw --a Republican cardio -- a Republican I respect !)
    I second that!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Question: How many Republicans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Answer: 13
    One to screw in the bulb, twelve to investigate Clinton's involvement in the failure of the old bulb.

Just replying to a post by Barye. Of course your answer is an easy way to avoid holding all accountable.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Just replying to a post by Barye. Of course your answer is an easy way to avoid holding all accountable.
    Yes, of course it is.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Exactly the problem here.

Great example DaT, I brought up senators driving their SUV 1 block to participated in an environmental protest and you get bent out of shape.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    While I'm not too sure of TheOilDrum.com's take on so-called "Peak Oil" I have to applaud their recent press release. It is one of the few well thought out pieces out there that has more to do with reason than politics.
    http://www.theoildrum.com/story/2006/4/26/121441/891
  11.    #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    lets then go back to the previous administration - the one that tried to increase fleet mpg -- and make suvs etc covered by the same rules. repugs in congress shot that down.

instead of solutions that work junior and his oily chums have given bigger tax breaks for the most profitable industry in history,given incentive tax breaks to subsidize the acqisition of Hummers, and used the phoney "perfect" solution of hydrgen to do next to nothing (except having **** invite them over to write their energy policy...)

BTW--I bike everywhere (I even took it with me to asia )
    Hi Barye!

As I stated earlier, there is little doubt that both parties have blood on their hands. I totally agree that the Reps have many shameful moments with dealing with this issue, as well as the Dems. Lobbyists with deep pockets will pull from both sides of the fence, as long as it gets them what they want (or what they don't want in many cases).

An example or two for the Dems, off the top of my head would be many of the Dems opposed ethanol fuel requirements for gas stations, many opposed to stricter CAFE requirements/restrictions, fought against domestic drilling, and raising the taxes on gas.

I strongly feel that the Reps and the Dems have sold us out in several situations over the last 20 years. They have acted in the their best interest (i.e. money from lobbyist, self beneficial political gain against the opposing party with no regard to the welfare of the people, tax increases, not having the guts to face the oil companies, wimping out on alt fuel incentives and progress, opposing domestic drilling, etc....).

BTW: How was your trip? You were gone for LONG time, weren't you? Was it for business, vacation, or adventure?
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/27/2006 at 02:33 PM.
    I'm not a lefty- but would love an affordable Tango, Obvio, or Smart Car... and I don't commute that far. It seems like all the cool alternatives (remember the Corbin Sparrow), just don't seem to make it.

Tango www.commutercars.com
    Obvio/Smart www.zapworld.com
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  13.    #53  
    What solutions are the politicians reacting with:

Oil Profits Soar With Pump Prices
    Personally, I drive 4 miles a day in a car that requires premium. I enjoy zipping around on the weekend and use maybe 6-7 gallons per week. I can handle some pretty amazing increases in gas prices before I do anything to change my driving routine.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    To clarify, morons are those who site in commuter traffic in a single occupancy vehicle every work day of the week.

My defination of a moron, is anybody that calls other people a moron because of their commute, when he has no idea that in some cases (most where I live) there are no alternatives. My car however does get 40mpg so I don't feel to bad.

I also feel the only people that should be driving humvees are those people that are riding into battle.
    I've heard america is about tapped out when it comes to domestic reserves, and that "domestic drilling", which seems to come up a lot, would only provide the domestic market for a few months, and would not materially affect the price of oil, at the expense of large tracks of the arctic wilderness?

It seems to me that one should arrange the needed actions in order of magnitude of effect, not the ease of implementation. If most oil is being used by cars, that where we need to conserve. If its heating or cooling houses, we need to insulate better. This problem will not go away, due to oil's non-renewable nature, so band-aid solutions like arctic drilling will not help anyone, and certainly not your children.

Surur
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    domestic drilling", which seems to come up a lot, would only provide the domestic market for a few months, and would not materially affect the price of oil, at the expense of large tracks of the arctic wilderness?
    Some figures say there might be 10 years of oil in Alaska. We dont know because they are not even aloud to look. 10 years sounds good to me with an ultimatum that we must be using alternative fuels by then.

Ofcourse though, this will never happen. Alaska must be preserved for the wildlife and the less than 1% of Americans that will ever see it.
    Anybody see the documentary “The end of suburbia: oil depletion and the collapse of the American dream” I watched it a month ago at university as a part of urbanization course. Regardless of which side you are on left or right it’s an eye-opener for sure.

On another point it’s all about land use patterns and city planning (much better in Europe, or at least they have a better grip over the situation). Public transport was hardly given a chance in US. First we had all these roads build leading to nowhere, then came the GI bill after the WWII, with all this new suburbs cropping up with land-a-plenty little thought was given to sustainability. Now that we are addicted to Single Occupancy Vehicles the thought of alternative transport is almost taboo.
    How many liberals does it take to screw in a lightbulb? One - they just stand there and wait for the world to revolve around them.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xenoepist
    Now that we are addicted to Single Occupancy Vehicles the thought of alternative transport is almost taboo.
    I don't think this is the case. If oil continues to live in the $70+ range, we'll see a gradual shift back toward more dense areas. Just as you didn't wake up one day to find millions of people moved to the burbs overnight, the reverse won't happen. Let the price settle where it will and let people react as they see fit. That is the system we have and it has worked so well for so long, I think people's inclination to all of a sudden say life as we know it is over is a bit premature.
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast