Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Keep playing the "us/them" "Repub/Dems" game while the corporations suck the middle-working class dry in this country.

That's what they like.
    Reading comprehension is not your strong point is it.

When someone writes:
    "Both dems and repubs drive (gas guzzlers) a block to protest high gas prices"

it means that it is not a political situation (as much as you would like it to be) where one party is at fault and the other is innocent.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Reading comprehension is not your strong point is it.
    Right back 'atcha. Your post smacked of, "the dems are part of the problem too."

It's time to focus on the working class of this country and the first party to do that gets my vote.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Right back 'atcha. Your post smacked of, "the dems are part of the problem too."

It's time to focus on the working class of this country and the first party to do that gets my vote.
    My post was a reply to your post where you stated "this administration" on more than one occasion.

I pointed out that the problem lies in both parties and you seem to have taken offense that I would point out that the dems were driving the same gas guzzler that the repubs were driving 1 block to a rally about gas prices. I would think that even you and blaze would see that as hypocritical.
    First, don't elect an administration comprised of more oil millionaires than any in US history.

After that, you may want to consider getting out of your fawking car you single occupant vehicle morons! "Oh, I can't get to work without driving. Whah! Whah!". BS, carpool or take the bus ONE LOUSY DAY A WEEK!

It's interesting that the words carpool or public transportation don't come out of this administrations mouths but removing enviromental restrictions and taxes (which pay for the roads) is on the front burner.

Oh, and here's a little double solution for those pinched at the pump and by their waist bands; bike commute.
    While my wording would be different, I find these are excellent suggestions.

As an aside, mentioning "this administration" may have led to the "dems do it too" type response.
    My post was a reply to your post where you stated "this administration" on more than one occasion.

I pointed out that the problem lies in both parties and you seem to have taken offense that I would point out that the dems were driving the same gas guzzler that the repubs were driving 1 block to a rally about gas prices. I would think that even you and blaze would see that as hypocritical.
    The point is your post was a "us/them" in the spirit of "dems do it to" skipping over the important part that the corporationss are bleeding the working class dry, this gas issue a fine example.

Yes, that's a wonderfully hypocritical activity you noted, however, the relavence to the problem of a few hundred people driving one block means nothing in relation to the problem. It's the millions of Americans who are unwilling to get out of their frigging cars that are the problem, and politicians who won't stand up to the energy companies.

Brazil ain't hurting right now, i'll tell you that.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    While my wording would be different, I find these are excellent suggestions.
    Agreed, very much my hot button issue.

As an aside, mentioning "this administration" may have led to the "dems do it too" type response.
    Not to this extent:

What do you mean by this?
    What do you mean by this?
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/20...tm?POE=TECISVA
  9.    #29  
    Keep playing the "us/them" "Repub/Dems" game while the corporations suck the middle-working class dry in this country.

That's what they like.
    Da...you were the one who started the political blame game that you called Cardio on.....
    First, don't elect an administration comprised of more oil millionaires than any in US history
    .....so are you pandering to the corp blood suckers by being playing politics with this issue?

I agree with Cardio.....he only stated that it is not just a Dem issue and it is not just a Rep issue.....both hold some responsibility in their own personal driving habits, gas tax proposals presented and voted for, blocking avenues for additional sources (both drilling and alternative fuel sources), etc.... He, and I agree with many of my statements in the first post, stated it was an issue with both parties, which is a nonpartisan statement. You are the one who seems unable to accept that a portion falls on the Dems, as part of it falls on the Reps, and take exception to that thought. That sounds more like being partisan to me. The politicians to play a MAJOR part in this issue for all the reasons listed above, plus more.

I agree that A LOT more people with a little thought and planning could optimize their driving to conserve gas. I would even go a step further and throw in our driving habits in our personal lives. There are loads of times when I meet up with friends for a game of racquetball, an event that my son is involved in, going to a church event, etc....that I could car pool, and just don't take the time or the very little extra effort to do it.

I agree the Working Class is also a party of cause and a part of the solution of the problem. But, this is only one small piece of the puzzle that can add up to a big difference that everyone can help with.....with a lot of exceptions as well. Which is why calling people a moron just because they are not able to do what you can do is a pretty weak argument.

Both me AND my wife are BOTH exceptions to this rule. So please help us figure out how to graduate from the Moron class of Americans....
    • ME: I am a field District Manager for the merchandising company for a major movie studio. We are on the DVD side. As a result I am constantly visiting retain chains, both local to my house near Battle Ground WA, and having to fly to several cities in the states of WA, OR, ID, and WY that my District covers. Should I ride my bike to meet the District Managers of retail chains, while carrying a laptop, portfolio, POP (posters, etc..)? Do I take all this stuff and find an interstate bus route to all the retail locations? What do I do when I fly into another city and need to get from the airport to the various retail locations? Since there is not another District or Regional manager within 250 miles, do I car pool with them? Or I am stuck being a lowly non gas conserving moron?
    • MY WIFE: Again we live near Battle Ground, WA and she works in Beaverton, OR......50 miles away. Should she ride her bike? The nearest employee to car pool with is 40 miles away. There are no buses with even a semi reasonable route or time frame, especially when trying to get home anywhere from 9:00 pm to 2:00 am.
    So please figure out how we can do the unMoronic thing......but, I guess we are stuck as American Morons

I also agree that the corp side is a big issue, which is why talked about the profit margins, tax liability, lack of expansion, etc... in my original post. So has anyone found out what the profit margin is per gallon for the oil companies?

To knock one piece of the puzzle, i.e. politicians, because another part holds a portion of the blame, i.e. corp, is not a very productive view of the problem or developing solutions.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/27/2006 at 12:56 PM.
    Agreed, very much my hot button issue.

Not to this extent:

LOL
    The article says the US has been pursuing fuel independence since 1970. I don't know that we seriously pursued alternative fuels.

I'm guessing both the auto-makers and oil companies saw lower profits in the alternatives.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The point is your post was a "us/them" in the spirit of "dems do it to" skipping over the important part that the corporationss are bleeding the working class dry, this gas issue a fine example.

Yes, that's a wonderfully hypocritical activity you noted, however, the relavence to the problem of a few hundred people driving one block means nothing in relation to the problem. It's the millions of Americans who are unwilling to get out of their frigging cars that are the problem, and politicians who won't stand up to the energy companies.

A few hundred people driving one block sets the example for the country to follow. Like it or not, when the average American sees their senator drive one block in their SUV, they will say screw that bicycle lane and drive a mile to work.

You want it to be about politics or you would not have started your post by "this administration". This problem did not occur in the last 6 years, it has been around for decades, so get off your "this administration" kick. You have good suggestions in the rest of your post, maybe you can write your elected officials and tell them you do not appreciate them driving their SUV to environmental protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Da...you were the one who started the political blame game that you called Cardio on..........so are you pandering to the corp blood suckers by being playing politics with this issue?

I agree with Cardio.....he only stated that it is not just a Dem issue and it is not just a Rep issue.....both hold some responsibility in their own personal driving habits, gas tax proposals presented and voted for, blocking avenues for additional sources (both drilling and alternative fuel sources), etc.... He, and I agree with many of my statements in the first post, stated it was an issue with both parties, which is a nonpartisan statement. You are the one who seems unable to accept that a portion falls on the Dems, as part of it falls on the Reps, and take exception to that thought. That sounds more like being partisan to me. The politicians to play a MAJOR part in this issue for all the reasons listed above, plus more.

I agree that A LOT more people with a little thought and planning could optimize their driving to conserve gas. I would even go a step further and throw in our driving habits in our personal lives. There are loads of times when I meet up with friends for a game of racquetball, an event that my son is involved in, going to a church event, etc....that I could car pool, and just don't take the time or the very little extra effort to do it.

I agree the Working Class is also a party of cause and a part of the solution of the problem. But, this is only one small piece of the puzzle that can add up to a big difference that everyone can help with.....with a lot of exceptions as well. Which is why calling people a moron just because they are not able to do what you can do is a pretty weak argument.

Both me AND my wife are BOTH exceptions to this rule. So please help us figure out how to graduate from the Moron class of Americans....
    • ME: I am a field District Manager for the merchandising company for a major movie studio. We are on the DVD side. As a result I am constantly visiting retain chains, both local to my house near Battle Ground WA, and having to fly to several cities in the states of WA, OR, ID, and WY that my District covers. Should I ride my bike to meet the District Managers of retail chains, while carrying a laptop, portfolio, POP (posters, etc..)? Do I take all this stuff and find an interstate bus route to all the retail locations? What do I do when I fly into another city and need to get from the airport to the various retail locations? Since there is not another District or Regional manager within 250 miles, do I car pool with them? Or I am stuck being a lowly non gas conserving moron?
    • MY WIFE: Again we live near Battle Ground, WA and she works in Beaverton, OR......50 miles away. Should she ride her bike? The nearest employee to car pool with is 40 miles away. There are no buses with even a semi reasonable route or time frame.
    So please figure out how we can do the unMoronic thing......but, I guess we are stuck as American Morons

I also agree that the corp side is a big issue, which is why talked about the profit margins, tax liability, lack of expansion, etc... in my original post. So has anyone found out what the profit margin is per gallon for the oil companies?

To knock one piece of the puzzle, i.e. politicians, because another part holds a portion of the blame, i.e. corp, is not a very productive view of the problem or developing solutions.

Ignoring all your dem/repub equal blame thing. I simply pointed out an administration of oil millionaires regardless of party. I also tried to divert the discussion from party to class. Some don't seem to want to consider that.

As to grauduating you from the single occupancy commuter vehicle, your job is driving, thus single occupancy COMMUTERS should get the hell off the rode so other workers whose jobs are driving/delivering can do their jobs.

As to your wife's issue, firstly, I should not have to point out how unwise it is to CHOOSE to live that far from one's job.

First, try CarpoolMatchNW.org

Secondly, looks like the CTran 173 runs right out of Battle Ground to a transit center where she can switch trains to cross the Columbia into Beaverton:

PDF of CTran System Map

Hark! A Liberal with a plan!?!?! What will happen to the only conservative talking point!!??!
    A few hundred people driving one block sets the example for the country to follow. Like it or not, when the average American sees their senator drive one block in their SUV, they will say screw that bicycle lane and drive a mile to work.

You want it to be about politics or you would not have started your post by "this administration". This problem did not occur in the last 6 years, it has been around for decades, so get off your "this administration" kick. You have good suggestions in the rest of your post, maybe you can write your elected officials and tell them you do not appreciate them driving their SUV to environmental protests.
    Oh puleez! You don't really expec to sell that senator driving one block thing do you? Hell! I wish the average American was news informed enough to even come across the story you cite.

I would have called ANY administration on being oil millionaires regardless of party given the current gas prices and oil company profits.

lets then go back to the previous administration - the one that tried to increase fleet mpg -- and make suvs etc covered by the same rules. repugs in congress shot that down.

instead of solutions that work junior and his oily chums have given bigger tax breaks for the most profitable industry in history,given incentive tax breaks to subsidize the acqisition of Hummers, and used the phoney "perfect" solution of hydrgen to do next to nothing (except having **** invite them over to write their energy policy...)

BTW--I bike everywhere (I even took it with me to asia )
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Oh puleez! You don't really expec to sell that senator driving one block thing do you? Hell! I wish the average American was news informed enough to even come across the story you cite.

I would have called ANY administration on being oil millionaires regardless of party given the current gas prices and oil company profits.
    Maybe you should change news outlets, I have seen the story reported multiple times, both right and left leaning outlets.

If your intent was to call them out across the board, great. Howeve, given your past tirades against the Bush administration and the republicans bearing the blame for everything from hurricanes to French riots I assumed you were simply pointing fingers again.

Every politician needs to step up to the plate and hold oil companies accountable, look for alternatives to foreign oil (yes, we may need to drill in our backyard) and energy dependancy.
    Maybe you should change news outlets, I have seen the story reported multiple times, both right and left leaning outlets.

If your intent was to call them out across the board, great. Howeve, given your past tirades against the Bush administration and the republicans bearing the blame for everything from hurricanes to French riots I assumed you were simply pointing fingers again.

Every politician needs to step up to the plate and hold oil companies accountable, look for alternatives to foreign oil (yes, we may need to drill in our backyard) and energy dependancy.
    My point was most Americans do not read and/or watch any news source.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    lets then go back to the previous administration - the one that tried to increase fleet mpg -- and make suvs etc covered by the same rules. repugs in congress shot that down.

instead of solutions that work junior and his oily chums have given bigger tax breaks for the most profitable industry in history,given incentive tax breaks to subsidize the acqisition of Hummers, and used the phoney "perfect" solution of hydrgen to do next to nothing (except having **** invite them over to write their energy policy...)

BTW--I bike everywhere (I even took it with me to asia )
    Keep spinning.

Since you bring up previous administrations, hold them accountable for failure to reduce dependancy, failure to get more refineries up and running, failure to......never mind, it will always be the fault of a Bush with you.
    Keep spinning.

Since you bring up previous administrations, hold them accountable for failure to reduce dependancy, failure to get more refineries up and running, failure to......never mind, it will always be the fault of a Bush with you.
    Question: How many Republicans does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Answer: 13
    One to screw in the bulb, twelve to investigate Clinton's involvement in the failure of the old bulb.

20.    #40  
    Ignoring all your dem/repub equal blame thing. I simply pointed out an administration of oil millionaires regardless of party. I also tried to divert the discussion from party to class. Some don't seem to want to consider that.

As to grauduating you from the single occupancy commuter vehicle, your job is driving, thus single occupancy COMMUTERS should get the hell off the rode so other workers whose jobs are driving/delivering can do their jobs.

First, try CarpoolMatchNW.org

Secondly, looks like the CTran 173 runs right out of Battle Ground to a transit center where she can switch trains to cross the Columbia into Beaverton:

PDF of CTran System Map

Hark! A Liberal with a plan!?!?! What will happen to the only conservative talking point!!??!
    Uhm....I am not going to have my wife traveling 90 miles a day on multiple bus routes, especially when half that trip would be between 10:00 pm to 2:00 am. Especially since the nearest bus stop is over 3/4 a mile away from her office
    thru parking lots and streets with either no or very little lighting. The safety issue a women travelling like this on a regular bases at these times and under these conditions starts to GREATLY deminish the conservation of gas driving would secure.

BTW, I have mapped it out before. Using very conservative numbers, It would take up to 2 hours each way, very probably closer to 3 hours. That would make for up to a 20 hour day. She would have as little as 4 hours at home to sleep and be ready for the next day.

Again, the carpool would not work. She works odd hours when compared to everyone else. She works 3 days a week. Arrives at the office at around 10:30 am and her time off varies greatly every night from anywhere around 10:00 pm to 2:00 am. I don't think many people would want to wait that long to carpool back home.

As to your wife's issue, firstly, I should not have to point out how unwise it is to CHOOSE to live that far from one's job.
    So now we not only morons, but we are also unwise? Do you have any idea of the circumstances that lead up to this situation?

I think that before you assault the judgement of myself or my family, it would be better to determine the circumstances before passing judgement.

I can't believe that even with agreeing with you and taking your argument further in support of your ideas and great suggestions, you are unable to accept that there are valid exceptions with very good logistical reasons.
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast