Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819
    Man Ends Cross-Country Health Trek in NYC

By ELIZABETH LeSURE, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 1 minute ago

NEW YORK - Steve Vaught didn't count each mile he walked or weigh himself every day along the way. And as he completed the final leg of his trek across America, he said making it to New York City from California on foot was only part of his story.

"I'm glad that I'm here, but for me it's never been about the destination," he said as he crossed the George Washington Bridge from New Jersey to Manhattan more than a year after he began the trip to lose weight and find happiness. "It's been about the journey."

Vaught, 40, began the roughly 3,000-mile trek from his Oceanside, Calif., home to Manhattan on April 10, 2005, when he was 410 pounds and suffering from severe depression after he accidentally killed two elderly pedestrians while driving 15 years ago.

He ended the journey Tuesday about 100 pounds lighter.

Along the way, Vaught slept in tents and motels and went through 15 pairs of shoes, more than 30 pairs of socks and six backpacks. But he didn't travel with a pedometer or measure the food he ate, and he said he aimed to change his behavior — not just his weight.

"This is not about obsessing about numbers, or times, or dates, or miles," he said. "It's just about going on a walk and sort of having time to get things straight."

Vaught chronicled his progress on a Web site, thefatmanwalking.com, which lists the names of dozens of supporters in 26 states. His trip attracted the attention of documentary filmmakers and national television, and he plans to write a book about his experiences.

As Vaught began walking the span from New Jersey to Manhattan on Tuesday evening with a flock of cameras and reporters, a passing bicyclist yelled, "Hey, that's the walking dude! Congratulations! Good job!"

Nicoline Biggio, who went to see him complete his journey, said her husband has been following Vaught's progress but was missing the finale because he was out of town.

"I think it's great that he's finished his goal," Biggio said. "So few of us actually keep them."

Vaught posed for photographs on the bridge with the New York City skyline in the background and standing in front of the "Welcome to New York, the Empire State" sign. Once he reached the other side — his final destination — he spoke to reporters for a few minutes on the street before being picked up by a black sedan that was to take him to a hotel.

His first plan, he said, was to "put on some new socks."

Thread Crapper
    ~ August 16,2005 Poll-Master ~
    August 17, 2005 Century Club Member ~ August 29, 2005

I have a fondness for intelligence.
    I often black out when doing something really stupid. I supose that's why I'm such a danger to my self

2.    #362  
    Want some help with the high gas prices? How about Free Gas? That's right, I said FREE GAS! Step right up...and see how you, yes you, can get free gas every month! The best thing is it is Free to get Free Gas! To learn more, simply click on the link conveniently provided for you below:
    BUSH RAISES BOUNTY ON BIN LADEN TO A GALLON OF GAS

Highest Reward Ever For World’s Most Wanted Man

Under pressure from critics to intensify the search for Osama bin Laden, President George W. Bush today increased the bounty on the world’s most wanted man to a gallon of gas.

At a press briefing at the White House, the president said that the unprecedented reward “sends a clear signal to Mr. Osama bin Laden that you can run, but you can’t hide.”

The president did not indicate whether the gallon of gas was regular or premium, full-serve or self, on the assumption that any gallon of gas would be sufficiently enticing.

While rising gas prices have been regarded in Washington as a political liability for the Bush administration, the latest move by the president seems designed to use soaring gas costs as a potent weapon in the war on terror.

Intelligence sources said that in the hours immediately following the president’s announcement, a major surge in activities related to the search for Mr. bin Laden was already underway.

Former CIA operative Jock Freeley was one of many bounty hunters who was packing his bags and heading for the mountainous region bordering Afghanistan and Pakistan when the new reward was announced.

“The way things are going, by the time someone actually finds bin Laden a gallon of gas could be worth untold millions,” Mr. Freeley said. “I want to be the luck sum***** who does.”

Elsewhere, Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass) proposed a bill which would provide free towing for all members of the Kennedy clan, tentatively called No Car Left Behind.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
    Osama, who's that? Never heard of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Osama, who's that? Never heard of him.
    man ....don't you watch TV??? He's apparently on "The View" nowadays ...

OSAMA MOVES TO ‘THE VIEW’
    TV’s Game of Musical Chairs Continues

Television’s game of musical chairs, which began with Katie Couric’s move from NBC’s “Today” to “The CBS Evening News” and continued with Meredith Vieira’s shift from ABC’s “The View” to “Today,” reached critical mass today as Osama bin Laden announced that he would leave the Arabic language Al Jazeera network to fill Ms. Vieira’s spot on “The View.”

The choice of Mr. bin Laden, a veteran of thousands of hours of televised terror tapes but a newcomer to morning TV, struck many in the television industry as bizarre, but ABC spokesman Carol Foyler called his selection “a home run for us.”

“Osama is clearly going to bring in a whole new demographic,” Ms. Foyler told reporters in New York. “Traditionally, ‘The View’ has been very strong with women but relatively weak with rabid jihadists.”

Ms. Foyler said that Mr. bin Laden would not appear on the New York set of “The View” but would be allowed to do his job from a remote undisclosed location: “Basically, we’re giving him the same deal **** Cheney has.”

While ABC trumpeted its deal with Mr. bin Laden, his move to “The View” has created a vacancy at Al Jazeera as the network scrambles to find a replacement to provide it with chilling terror videos.

“We need someone terrifying who has TV experience,” said an Al Jazeera spokesman. “Right now we’re taking a close look at Paris Hilton.”

Elsewhere, the Secret Service reported that an intruder who made it onto the White House lawn on Sunday got closer to the Oval Office than President Bush did during the entire month of August.
    Palm m505 -> Treo600 (GSM ATT) -> Treo650 (Cingular) -> BB8700g -> BB Pearl
    "The point of living and of being an optimist, is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come."
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819