Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    I drive an S2000 and would be shocked if another Honda could beat it off the line (though the hybrid accord might come closest, followed by the V6 accord).
    Nice car! I had the opportunity to take one through the local foothills and the handling is fantastic! Of course, I'm used to driving four wheel drive vehicles so I might be easily pleased.
    In an attempt to bring this back on topic, I'm amazed at how much gasoline a 4 cylinder car can use! My old Corolla was much much better.
    In an attempt to bring this back on topic, I'm amazed at how much gasoline a 4 cylinder car can use! My old Corolla was much much better.
    I buy and sell cars at the wholesale auction, the dealers rob you .... and i have not been able to find the accord coupe hybrid yet for auction, it is supposed to have better mileage and be faster, and the features are crazy. The satellite linked voice activated navigation is amazing. You can litterally say, "nearest chineese food" and the car will plot a course and give you audible directions at each corner, just like knight rider
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    I buy and sell cars at the wholesale auction
    Used car salesman, that explains everything.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    I am amazed at how a 20 year old car could get "Hybrid type" economy.

My 86 CRX was getting 52 MPG actual... cruising mostly at 70 MPH with the window down. Car was rated at 58 MPG on highway, I had the 49 state version.
    .Treo Pro on Sprint Check out www.treotricks.com, Audio jack fix.
  6.    #286  
    It didn't last long, because all the oil companies have bought up all the patents for fuel efficient carburetors and engines so no one could make them any more!!!!!
    wait a min hobbes, usually agree, & i've heard this for years (100+ mpg carbs). when I was a kid thought this could be true. then grew up realizing all the leftist propaganda bs. then thought this was probably some of it. you have something?
  8.    #288  
    I would tell you, but they would kidnap my family, kill me, and then cut off my pinky just to show that they really mean business!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 05/02/2006 at 11:44 PM.
    I guess you don't. you'ld already be pinkie-less.
  10.    #290  
    Actually, I did listen to a documentary on one of the Bio or History channels on Sirius Sat Radio one time. It was talking about big corporations and the underlining corp covert world that is a reality.

One of the stories they shared....and I have never done any research to verify this and this is the only doc that I have heard it on, so as far as I am concerned this is just urban legend....back in the 1930s-1940s a guy was suppose to have invented an engine and carb that ran like 75 mpg (I don't remember the number but it was impressive).....and that was with the big heavy metal tanks they sold as cars back then. He was corporating himself to manufacture and sell this. An Oil and/or Car company offered to buy him out. He refused. They tried to ruin him personally and financially. But being home grown, it didn't phase him much and he resisted to be bought out and kept on plugging away to bring it to market. After about a year or so of this, his garage was broken into, he disappear without any notice or communication with his family, co-workers, investors, etc... His prototype and plans were missing. No one ever was able to duplicate what he did and no one ever saw his engine again.

Now that you have had your bedtime story, sleep tight!
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Actually, I did listen to a documentary on one of the Bio or History channels on Sirius Sat Radio one time. It was talking about big corporations and the underlining corp covert world that is a reality.
    Ironically, Big Oil and the environmentalists make for strange bedfellows:

It gets 78 miles a gallon, but U.S. snubs diesel

The sporty new four-door compact has a top speed of 100 miles an hour. It can travel 78 miles on a single gallon of fuel and emits fewer "greenhouse" gases than almost any other vehicle on the market. Yet the A2 has at its core a technology that generates scorn in the United States: the diesel engine.
    American antipollution regulations severely restrict the sale of diesel engines, and American environmental groups are adamantly opposed to relaxing them. European environmentalists, while pressing for tougher standards, are far more accepting of the new diesel technology.
    At the same time, compared with Europe, the United States has much dirtier diesel fuel — used by heavy trucks and in a slightly different form, as home heating oil — with far higher levels of sulphur. The American oil industry, much more influential than Europe's oil industry because the United States produces a lot of oil, has lobbied successfully to prevent rules requiring cleaner fuel to take effect until June 2006.
    hobbes, omg, i'm so sorry to hear about your family, life, and your pinkies. take care. ni night.
  13.    #293  
    From my quick glance, this isn't that interesting at all. The polls ask two different things. USA Today checks to see if people are changing their habits. Fox is asking if there is a crisis. Personally, I change my behavior all the time even when there isn't a crisis. For instance, this morning I had a bagel at a bagel shop. I was originally going to get a jalapeno bagel, but they were out. So I bought a banana walnut. As much as I wanted a jalapeno, I don't think that qualifies as a crisis...
  15.    #295  
    I wasn't trying to compare the two....just sharing what they are saying about the public's reaction and perception of the current gas situation.
  16.    #296  
    I heard this on the radio today and was wonder if anyone else has verification of this.......The oil companies is only spending about $20 a barrel to get it out of the ground, yet they are charging $74 a barrel! Google found a couple things:

Oil has been close to $74 a barrel, and gasoline has been close to $3 a gallon. What makes this a windfall for the oil companies is this: At $74 a barrel, $3 a gallon is correct, but the oil companies don’t pay $74 for every barrel; in fact, many barrels are under old, long-term contracts that they are getting at $20, not to mention their own oil they drill, which is at the cost of production, less than $20 a barrel, even the hard-to-recover oil from the oil tar sands in Alberta.

Their average is more likely in the $40 to $50 range, but they charge as if it’s $74 for every barrel. So is there any doubt that we will continue to get ripped off at the pumps unless some action is taken?

http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=283567
    WSJ: Some bears argue that it has become more difficult -- and costly -- for energy producers to replace reserves, offsetting any gains from higher prices.

Mr. Rice: If oil goes to $80 a barrel and ... it costs $30 a barrel to find it and get it out of the ground instead of $20 today, that is still a $50-a-barrel margin, which is higher than margins are today.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06121/686562-28.stm
    Oil prices are approaching $75 a barrel, and could go higher. Out of this $75 it is estimated that between $20 and $25 is a 'political price' that hedges against future disruptions of supply.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/a...ow/1514588.cms
    It costs Exxon-Mobil about $20 to produce a barrel of oil . . . but then they’re selling it back to us at $70 a barrel. They’re clearing a huge profit margin on extracting oil and even their profit margins on refining are huge.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=64444
    Is this true? Has anyone seen more evidence for a $50 profit margin per barrel? Or have you seen evidence to debunk it?
    Does the cost to extract oil include the start-up costs, which I understand to be huge and growing?

Surur
  18.    #298  
    I agree.....but most of what I have been reading....and I am not an expert, which is why I am asking....the huge profit margin is in case someday in the future there is a war or disruption for political reasons, etc..... there has been nothing said about it to further future or past growth, only to tuck away for a rainy day.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I heard this on the radio today and was wonder if anyone else has verification of this.......The oil companies is only spending about $20 a barrel to get it out of the ground, yet they are charging $74 a barrel! ...

Is this true? Has anyone seen more evidence for a $50 profit margin per barrel? Or have you seen evidence to debunk it?
    Glad to see that you're starting to understand the lie behind the oil company's pretense that they're not making wretchedly grotesque profits.

I asked that same question many posts back :

"...how it is that oil -- which was profitable to evacuate from the colon of the earth at $25/barrel -- does not increase the profitability of a corporation when that same oil from that same well gets to be sold for $75/ barrel ??

Or how that same mega corporation, evacuating oil from that same well -- and not paying any royalties on that oil -- is no more profitable than, oh say P&G -- but can be able to afford a $350 million dollar gold watch for their fat cat retiring chairman.

That seems to be some kind of magical new math -- perhaps these energy companies may well have captured and harnessed Cold Fusion -- in the service of their accounting departments."
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    "...how it is that oil -- which was profitable to evacuate from the colon of the earth at $25/barrel -- does not increase the profitability of a corporation when that same oil from that same well gets to be sold for $75/ barrel ??
    Not that I'm defending a $400 million retirement package, but when most of the world's oil is underneath countries with nationalized oil industries, where do you think most of that $70/barrel is going?