Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 365
  1. #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    It is funny how you always here that the SUV is the enemy. Punish SUV drivers.....when I heard on Satellite radio (will look for cite later) that BMW, Mercedes, etc... cars (not SUV models) get only 22-26 mpg....lower than several new SUVs!

    If you were going to penalize for driving low mpg vehicles, then it should be rated on mpg, and not type of car.
    Yup, my corvette gets 17 mpg, just about the same as my wife's v6 Honda Accord.
  2. #262  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    As far as drugs go: with the possible exception of marijuana, I see drugs as a public safety issue. This is an area in which I depart from many contemporary libertarians. I just don't see any amount of cocaine or heroine use as responsible.
    Just guessing, but I bet you dont see cigarettes or alcohol as a public safety issue.
  3. #263  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    It is not difficult to find the wrongdoing. As I posted at the top of this thread, It is in the interest of Exxon, to keep production low, and thereby keep prices at the pump and subsequently their own profits artificially high.
    If XOM exerted market power (like Microsoft) then this would be true. However they do not, and their marginal barrel of oil does not affect the price one penny. As such, it is in their interest to produce as much as possible. How can you say this about oil but not about computers? Isn't it in Dell's best interest to stop producing computers? That will reduce suppy and drive prices up.

    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    I don't know you well, but can I assume this is not just the usual rubber stamp, ideological conservative, anti government, knee jerk reaction?
    There are places for government, but making capital and product allocation decisions is not one of them. Please note my stance on gasoline taxes.
    The "consumer action" I was referring to is the decision to change behavior: use less gasoline because it is expensive. Either change driving habits, locations, cars, etc....
  4. #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Just guessing, but I bet you dont see cigarettes or alcohol as a public safety issue.
    Yes. So many of these rules are based on what we are accustomed to, vs the real things which kill us (e.g. car accidents when we are young, and cheese burgers when we are 60).

    Surur
  5. #265  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Yup, my corvette gets 17 mpg, just about the same as my wife's v6 Honda Accord.
    Those are city measurements? I think highway figures for both cars are much better. If it's a new vette, highway speeds are defined as just fast enough to keep the engine from stalling in 6th gear. :-)
  6. #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Just guessing, but I bet you dont see cigarettes or alcohol as a public safety issue.
    Drunk driving and to a certain degree public drunkeness is certainly a public safety issue. Other than that, why would they be?
  7. #267  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Just guessing, but I bet you dont see cigarettes or alcohol as a public safety issue.
    They aren't. They are a safety issue to the user.
  8. #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    Yes. So many of these rules are based on what we are accustomed to, vs the real things which kill us (e.g. car accidents when we are young, and cheese burgers when we are 60).

    Surur
    Where should the gov't draw the line in regulating personal behavior?
  9. #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Where should the gov't draw the line in regulating personal behavior?
    Who knows? But I'm going to draw the line in regulating thread jacking here. :-) Please start up a new thread.
  10. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Well, 99% versus 1%. I suppose we dont have to prove that global warming does not exist, we simply need to say that "the scientists dont yet agree", which would be technically true. Or we could say that "it needs more study", and get back to digging for oil in our national paks, lol.
    You really should read a few scientific journals. You will see there is not 99% agreement either way. If you could produce some sort of cite for some of your statements they might hold a little more weight. But, you do what you do and you do it so well.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  11. #271  
    Dont you believe in the concept of society, and communal responsibility for the individual? In my job I often have to take on the responsibility to protect people from themselves. Society seems to be very happy for me to take on that role, and I agree with the general principles. You have no problem with people killing themselves?

    Surur
  12. #272  
    Surur, start your own thread with that prompt. It is off topic here. Thanks.
  13. #273  
    I'd rather not. It will devolve too quickly into Democrats vs republics and Clinton's gf's . Anyway, I shall cease and desist on that topic although its tangentially relevant.

    Surur
  14. #274  
    I'm watching CBS news on Sky, and its terribly ironic that they are investigating the impact of high gas prices by driving 15 000 miles cross country.

    They are showing elderly people choosing between driving and eating (and most are choosing driving).

    Surur
  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Those are city measurements? I think highway figures for both cars are much better. If it's a new vette, highway speeds are defined as just fast enough to keep the engine from stalling in 6th gear. :-)
    1995 Corvette Convertible, 2004 v6 accord, I drive both of them like a crazed maniac. Pedal to the floor, to the brake and back, and both are not the measurments on the sticker, but the mileage I actually get. They are actually almost sort of similar in horsepower and zero to 60 as well. 300bhp and 240bhp, and 5.2 and 5.4 zero to sixty respectively i think.
  16. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #276  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    1995 Corvette Convertible, 2004 v6 accord, I drive both of them like a crazed maniac. Pedal to the floor, to the brake and back, and both are not the measurments on the sticker, but the mileage I actually get. They are actually almost sort of similar in horsepower and zero to 60 as well. 300bhp and 240bhp, and 5.2 and 5.4 zero to sixty respectively i think.

    WOOHOO a person truly concerned about the safety of others and the environment as well. Let me guess, you text and e-mail on your treo as your going pedal to the floor.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  17. #277  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    1995 Corvette Convertible, 2004 v6 accord, I drive both of them like a crazed maniac. Pedal to the floor, to the brake and back, and both are not the measurments on the sticker, but the mileage I actually get. They are actually almost sort of similar in horsepower and zero to 60 as well. 300bhp and 240bhp, and 5.2 and 5.4 zero to sixty respectively i think.
    The V6 accord goes 0-60 in 5.4 seconds? Yeesh! That's incredible. This website says it's 7.0 seconds. I drive an S2000 and would be shocked if another Honda could beat it off the line (though the hybrid accord might come closest, followed by the V6 accord).
  18. #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    WOOHOO a person truly concerned about the safety of others and the environment as well. Let me guess, you text and e-mail on your treo as your going pedal to the floor.
    One can drive like a maniac and be safe. It's driving like a stupid maniac that is dangerous.
  19. #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    The V6 accord goes 0-60 in 5.4 seconds? Yeesh! That's incredible. This website says it's 7.0 seconds. I drive an S2000 and would be shocked if another Honda could beat it off the line (though the hybrid accord might come closest, followed by the V6 accord).
    It does? Sure you were not looking at the sedan? My wife's is the coupe, but then again, i could be wrong also. I did not use a stopwatch.
  20. #280  
    Ahh, i just saw your link. Yeah it was neither 7.0 or 5.4, it was 5.9.

Posting Permissions