Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by surur
    The full cost of burning a gallon of gasoline is around $9 when you include oil-supply protection costs, industry subsidies and respiratory health-care costs.

http://www.ldnews.com/columns/ci_3735636

Surur
    Oil supply protection costs are extremely subjective. Industry subsidies shouldn't exist and respiratory health-care costs are also extremely subjective. I'm surprised you didn't mention global warming...
    I like the look of the Smart Car.... but an American company (Zap) has had trouble bringing it to the US. Where's the electric and tribrid mode cars?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    The money collected can be redistributed on a per capita basis, so there is no increase in taxes, the effect will still be the same.
    That went without saying. :-) The problem here (as is often the case) is politics. No politician would ever succeed in getting this done.
    Of course this is where the argument comes in that instead of taxing large vehicles its better to tax the fuel, which will automatically mean larger vehicles pay more. This has its own downsides unfortunately, and does not take into account the other problems with larger vehicles e.g. intimidating other smaller vehicles on the road, leading to a roadwars arms race.
    "Intimidating?" Yeesh. I drive perhaps the smallest car on the road, height-wise, and I deal with it. What you mention here is dealt with through the civil law system and litigation (if a big car smooshes me, I sue them). It is not handled on the gasoline tax end.
    Things were easier in the 50's... when Rob Petrie took the train from New Rochelle to NYC and his bride Laura was a stay-at-home mom who didn't need transportation... then she left for Minnieapolis and became a liberal, single Associate Producer for WJM-TV news.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Where's the electric and tribrid mode cars?
    Imaginary land. They will come closer if/when fuel prices stay high.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    That went without saying. :-) The problem here (as is often the case) is politics. No politician would ever succeed in getting this done.
    It works here, so why not in the US? It's not that people are less intelligent there is it?

Maybe one day in the US people will realize that higher gas costs/lower gas consumption is better than the next war in the Middle East or the next Katrina?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    So I need to hope gas prices stay high.... while electric rates are also rising?... bummer.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Things were easier in the 50's... when Rob Petrie took the train from New Rochelle to NYC and his bride Laura was a stay-at-home mom who didn't need transportation... then she left for Minnieapolis and became a liberal, single Associate Producer for WJM-TV news.
    How about that damn Rhoda!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    It works here, so why not in the US? It's not that people are less intelligent there is it?

Maybe one day in the US people will realize that higher gas costs/lower gas consumption is better than the next war in the Middle East or the next Katrina?

WTF, the next Katrina, are you somehow suggesting that someone developed Katrina to increase profits for oil companies? I really do not see how Katrina fit into that statement at all.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    "Intimidating?" Yeesh. I drive perhaps the smallest car on the road, height-wise, and I deal with it. What you mention here is dealt with through the civil law system and litigation (if a big car smooshes me, I sue them). It is not handled on the gasoline tax end.
    I think the intimidation is very real, and also based in reality, due to the mortality rate (in the small car) when a large car runs into a smaller car. Most people, instead of living in constant fear, just pay extra to "up amour" themselves.
    In multiple-vehicle crashes, the occupants of the car are four times more likely to be killed than the occupants of the SUV.(10) In a side-impact collision with an SUV, car occupants are 27 times more likely to die.(11)
    http://www.suv.org/safety.html

A smart-style car would be ideal for my daughter when she gets old enough to drive, because its cheap, uses little fuel, and has low insurance. I would however be very reluctant to buy her something like that, due to the high likelihood of some-one being "smooched" if she was ever in a collision with a very large car. No lawsuit would bring her back.

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    WTF, the next Katrina, are you somehow suggesting that someone developed Katrina to increase profits for oil companies? I really do not see how Katrina fit into that statement at all.
    I guess in the years to come, the link will be more obvious
    Experts: Global warming behind 2005 hurricanes

Tuesday, April 25, 2006; Posted: 8:32 p.m. EDT (00:32 GMT)

MONTEREY, California (Reuters) -- The record Atlantic hurricane season last year can be attributed to global warming, several top experts, including a leading U.S. government storm researcher, said on Monday.

"The hurricanes we are seeing are indeed a direct result of climate change and it's no longer something we'll see in the future, it's happening now," said Greg Holland, a division director at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado.

Holland told a packed hall at the American Meteorological Society's 27th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology that the wind and warmer water conditions that fuel storms that form in the Caribbean are "increasingly due to greenhouse gases. There seems to be no other conclusion you can logically draw."
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Anyone ready to give up their car commute one day a week? Lower demand and lower the price IF this is simply market forces.

MONTEREY, California (Reuters) -- The record Atlantic hurricane season last year can be attributed to global warming, several top experts, including a leading U.S. government storm researcher, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy said on Monday.

"The hurricanes we are seeing are indeed a direct result of climate change and it's no longer something we'll see in the future, it's happening now," said Greg Holland, a division director at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado.

Holland told a packed hall at the American Meteorological Society's 27th Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology that the wind and warmer water conditions that fuel storms that form in the Caribbean are "increasingly due to greenhouse gases. There seems to be no other conclusion you can logically draw."
    With rock hard facts and such experts, it must be true.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

MONTEREY, California (Reuters) -- The record Atlantic hurricane season last year can be attributed to global warming, several top experts, including a leading U.S. government storm researcher, said on Monday.

That horse is being beat in a different thread. As posted in that thread, others experts and scientist have come to different logical conclusions. If interested search for it yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    That horse is being beat in a different thread. As posted in that thread, others experts and scientist have come to different logical conclusions. If interested search for it yourself.
    The experts quoted in your article differ from mine!?!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Anyone ready to give up their car commute one day a week? Lower demand and lower the price IF this is simply market forces.
    I do. One day a week I work in a clinic that is only 12 miles from my house. Ride a bike as long as it is not pouring rain, or have a meeting in the middle of the day at another location.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    The experts quoted in your article differ from mine!?!
    Uhhh, I think we are saying the same thing and you just hit enter a few seconds before me.
    When was the system put in place? A long time ago I bet, before a real reliance on cars developed. Now that it is accepted as part of life, no one makes a peep. Over hear, it would be different.
    I don't think you can make a connection to hurricanes. Afterall, the worst hurricane in history happened long before the automobile became what it is today.
    A smart-style car would be ideal for my daughter when she gets old enough to drive, because its cheap, uses little fuel, and has low insurance. I would however be very reluctant to buy her something like that, due to the high likelihood of some-one being "smooched" if she was ever in a collision with a very large car. No lawsuit would bring her back.
    You know what the likelihood of her dying in a car crash is? Perhaps your money is better spend somewhere else.