Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ta...artburn_o.html

Finally, a fair and balanced press secretary.
    Man do I look forward to his first run in with Helen Thomas. My money's on Snow.
    Why would a press secretary be "fair and balanced"? Isn't he supposed to be the mouthpiece for the Administration?

Besides... Snow worked in the Bush I administration before he went to Fox.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by awerry
    Why would a press secretary be "fair and balanced"?
    Why would a Fox News reporter be "fair and balanced"?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Good dodge.
    Another great AdLib line:

Why would a _____ News reporter be "fair and balanced"?

I could easily see the blank filled with CNN, NBC, LA Times, ect...
    Because they said so.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Another great AdLib line:

Why would a _____ News reporter be "fair and balanced"?

I could easily see the blank filled with CNN, NBC, LA Times, ect...
    Yes of course Hobbes. NBC news is just exacly like Fox News.
    Uhm...isn't that what AdLibs are all about, putting anything in the blank?

I think you missed my point though, or tried to read too much into it...the point was that I agree with you that every news room has a leaning of one side or the other. Fox certainly leans more to the right. CNN, LA Times, NYT, lean to the left. It is not bad, as long as you recognize that when reading from them.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/26/2006 at 05:49 PM.
    News Hour (PBS) leans the least.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Let's check the tote board friends:

Left Right
    ABC Fox
    CBS
    CNN
    CNBC
    MSN
    NBC
    PBS

Hmmm...yes BlazerBoy...the world is truly fair and balanced. I just love how the left has been going bonkers about the ONLY right slanted network infringing on their sacred domain of puerile leftest diatribe.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Uhm...isn't that what AdLibs are all about, putting anything in the black?

I think you missed my point...the point was that I agree that every news room has a leaning of one side or the other. Fox certainly leans more to the right. CNN, LA Times, NYT, lean to the left. It is not bad, as long as you recognize that when reading from them.
    Actually, journalists are supposed to be a check to abuses of power whether that power be govenmental, corporate, and/or institutional. They are supposed to investigate and report on things that affect most people's lives. Some people consider that to be leftist, I consider it to be doing one's job.

Edited to add, that makes fox news nothing more than a propagandist tool.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Actually, journalists are supposed to be a check to abuses of power whether that power be govenmental, corporate, and/or institutional. They are supposed to investigate and report on things that affect most people's lives. Some people consider that to be leftist, I consider it to be doing one's job.

DaT, we all understand your slant; if CNN, CBS, ABC reports a story it is journalistic power attempting to keep the abusive administration in check, if Fox reports the exact same story with the exact same wording it is propaganda out to get you.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"

You've got to be kidding! Larry King soft-balling Howard Dean, John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, and every other left wing(nuts) he can find is not propagandist fodder?

There is NOTHING anywhere that says the press is the check and balance safeguard on our democracy. NOTHING. Freedom of speech guaranties they can say what they want, but they are not a self-appointed judge and jury over our government and institutions. They should ALL report the facts, but since some of you need the guidance and reassurance that your leftist beliefs are mainstream, I guess the "left" side of my tote board will continue to far outnumber the right.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Most Press Secretaries in recent memory have been very likeable. Not Scott McClellan, IMO. He just came across as very difficult.
    I think replacing him with Snow is a good move.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You've got to be kidding! Larry King soft-balling Howard Dean, John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi, and every other left wing(nuts) he can find is not propagandist fodder?

There is NOTHING anywhere that says the press is the check and balance safeguard on our democracy. NOTHING. Freedom of speech guaranties they can say what they want, but they are not a self-appointed judge and jury over our government and institutions. They should ALL report the facts, but since some of you need the guidance and reassurance that your leftist beliefs are mainstream, I guess the "left" side of my tote board will continue to far outnumber the right.
    Here's a fair and balanced name for you - Dan Rather. You remember him, the guy that resigned in disgrace because he reported on phony documents that he wanted to get the president with. There's a reason Fox is gaining more and more viewers every night, they're fed up with the pabulum the left keeps spewing from most of the media. P.S. PBS is about as fair as Pravda was in the 80's.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.

DaT....I totally agree with you!!!!....in so much as you used the phrase "suppose to". That is exactly what I was saying. This does not happen. You have no problem recognizing the Fox leans more to the right than other news rooms to the point of calling them propagandists because you do not agree with the points that they report on. Then you seem to deny that the LA Times, NYT, and CNN do lean more to the left. It maybe just me, but that does seem like a close minded double standard.

If you really believe the statement that you made as what really happens, then I think you do have an unrealistic point of view. Just read the editorials from each source and it is usually very obvious if that news room leans to the left or to the right and then you can safely bet that the reporting out of that news room will continue reflect those tendencies.

Again, I do not think that this is necessarily bad, but only that we should recognize that if you read a story from the LA Times, you can count on a left leaning point of view and if you read the same story from Fox News you can expect a right leaning point of view.
    DaT....I totally agree with you!!!!....in so much as you used the phrase "suppose to". That is exactly what I was saying. This does not happen. You have no problem recognizing the Fox leans more to the right than other news rooms to the point of calling them propagandists because you do not agree with the points that they report on. Then you seem to deny that the LA Times, NYT, and CNN do lean more to the left. It maybe just me, but that does seem like a close minded double standard.

If you really believe the statement that you made as what really happens, then I think you do have an unrealistic point of view. Just read the editorials from each source and it is usually very obvious if that news room leans to the left or to the right and then you can safely bet that the reporting out of that news room will continue reflect those tendencies.

Again, I do not think that this is necessarily bad, but only that we should recognize that if you read a story from the LA Times, you can count on a left leaning point of view and if you read the same story from Fox News you can expect a right leaning point of view.
    My point is the very concept of journalism is left leaning.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Here's a fair and balanced name for you - Dan Rather. You remember him, the guy that resigned in disgrace because he reported on phony documents that he wanted to get the president with. There's a reason Fox is gaining more and more viewers every night, they're fed up with the pabulum the left keeps spewing from most of the media. P.S. PBS is about as fair as Pravda was in the 80's.

You keep believing that and we'll start sewing the patches on your brown shirt.

And why the PBS comment? Just repeating an old talking point?

Where were they in the 90's?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast