Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My family and I are going to DisneyWorld and want to stay in the park. ANy suggestions? ONLY in the park. If you have any lodgeing reviews (personal exp) please post them here.
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    I don't have any personal experience, but I would recommend checking out tripadvisor.com. It's a great site to use before making a trip and has lots of user reviews of hotels/places.
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    I have personally stayed in the Beach & Yacht Club (BYC) and at Old Key West Resort (OKW).

The BYC was really cool. The rooms were average, nothing really special, but we did not have kids at the time so we only stayed in a studio/hotel style room. The pool is awesome with a sandy bottom, a current river that you float around the pool in. It also had a water slide coming out of a Pirate ship wreck. The best thing I loved about this was that our bed was closer to Epcot, than we could park!

OKW has really nice rooms. We stayed in a 2 bedroom suit that included a nice jet tub, two bathrooms, full kitchen, and totaled around 1800 plus sq ft. The pool is okay....it was too cold to really enjoy it while we where there. They did have a really neat playground area for kids.

The cool thing about staying at a DW resort is that you get early entry into a different park each day. They will deliver anything you buy inside the parks to your hotel room, so you never have to carry anything around. With their free bus service we often found it easier to take them instead of driving our car, finding parking, and taking the tram into the park. And sometimes you can get a good deal for tickets with your room.
    I'm not sure how to post links but I'll try. http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

This is a website that allows people to buy and sell disney vacation club (timeshare) points. You do not have to be a member of a timeshare group either. You buy points (10-11 $ a point) and different resorts take different amounts of points depending on how good they are. I just stumbled onto this recently. I am going to use this for sure, but you (and me) will need someone to guide through the process for the first time. As for resorts, I would stay at (in order) 1. Boardwalk, 2. Beach & Yacht Club, and there are a few more but cant remember names.
    We're going back next month to celebrate our son's BD and we're staying at the Horizon Marriott Vacation Club property. We chose it because it has a water park, including a Pirate's ship (known for being fun for kids of all ages) on the property and is rated as being very kid friendly.

http://hotel-rates.com/us/florida/or...t-orlando.html

http://www.hotels.com/property.jsp?p...=1146006454734

Edit: Hehe, missed the part about "in the park". Oh well,
    enjoy!
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 04/25/2006 at 06:21 PM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    My wife and I spent a long weekend (4 nights) in January at the DisneyWorld Port Orleans Riverside and LOVED IT. The resort has 2 differant types of rooms, lodges (more rustic looking) and Mansions. Except for exterior looks, all the rooms are basicly the same. We stayed in one of the lodges. This resort is clean, well maintained and very comfortable. Its also one of Disney's larger resorts, with approx 2000 rooms. If you, wife and kids are not able bodied and enjoy walking, ask for a room close to the main building. The main building has a 2 eating areas, a bar (yea!) and also an arcade for the kids. There is also a well stocked sundries store for any munchies and Disney goodies you may need.

If your plans are to stay at DisneyWorld, then you really should consider booking the vacation through the Disney website and taking advantage of their Magical Express service. With this service, you get on a Disney bus at the Orlando airport (BIG comfey bus) and are taken directly to your resort. Disney also sends you luggage tags prior to your date of departure, so you can tag your bags, which upon arrival are picked up for you and taken to your room (within 3 hrs of arrival). Its a great service and is FREE with your stay at a Disney resort (outside resorts dont apply). If you dont plan on leaving Disney, you wont even need a rental car during your stay. All the resorts have shuttle buses that take resort guests to and from all the Disney parks as well as Down Town Disney (a shopping, entertainment and dinning area). The shuttle buses run about every 15 mins. Some resorts, like Port Orleans Riverside also have shuttle boats to take guests to Down Town Disney, which is a nice diversion from the buses. Depending on the day, resort guests also get "extra hours" either in the morning or at night at select Disney parks.

I would also suggest you make note if this number, 407-939-3463, its the Disney Dinning Reservations number. Spend some time on the DisneyWorld website, research some of the better park restaurants and make your reservations in advance...trust me, its a MUST to do this. Making your reservations in advance gets you a table within 20mins of checking in at the restaurant. Saves the looooong wait for those that just walk up during the busy lunch and dinner hours. The wife and I did this for a lunch and a dinner. The lunch was at Disney MGM at the Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre. Its set up like a drive in movie theatre at night, and you sit in cars to eat. They show old sci-fi B movie trailers on the movie screen. The wife and I had a blast eating there. The dinner was at EPCOT Canada at the Le Celier Steakhouse. Very good food (the cheddar soup was yummy, as was the canadian beer) and great service.

The wife and I (no kids) where like two big teenagers during our stay. We had such a great time. If there is any other info I can provide, just ask.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    If your plans are to stay at DisneyWorld, then you really should consider booking the vacation through the Disney website and taking advantage of their Magical Express service. With this service, you get on a Disney bus at the Orlando airport (BIG comfey bus) and are taken directly to your resort.
    I live & work in Orlando. Every time I am at our airport I can't help but laughing at the hundreds of tourists standing in one of those Disney style wrap around que lines, waiting in line for their "magical" busride.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    I live & work in Orlando. Every time I am at our airport I can't help but laughing at the hundreds of tourists standing in one of those Disney style wrap around que lines, waiting in line for their "magical" busride.
    It is pretty funny. Its Disney's way of getting you ready, for waiting in line at the parks.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    It is pretty funny. Its Disney's way of getting you ready, for waiting in line at the parks.

In answer to the OP. Animal Kingdom Lodge is the only place you want to be if its in your budget, and their "Jiko" is the only 5 diamond restaurant in central Florida.
    If you're looking to go cheap, try the All-Star resorts. We stayed in the Movies building last June under Disney's $1500 plan. While not as fancy or as close as the higher-end on-site locations, it worked well for the three of us (2 adults and 1 8 year-old). The room came with two doubles, a vanity and a bathroom. Nothing amazing, but since we spent most of the time in the parks, it wasn't a big loss.

Now, if I had unlimited funds, I'd stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. From the descriptions that I read on the Mouse For Less site (do a google), it sounded great!
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    We travel a lot. We sometimes go the budget way or sometimes we use our Worldmark points ago out all the way.

We stayed at the Movie All-Star resort once....well, actually we checked into one and never stayed the night. Maybe it was just the group that was there, but it reminded me of checking into a hotel in a very low income partying neighbor hood. I saw several groups haul up loads of beer to their rooms, with the party gang following just behind them. People running around late yelling across constantly to friends on the other side of the courtyard. Picture a Motel 6 at DisneyWorld. To tell you the truth I did not feel safe having my family stay there. We checked out and went to.....oh, I forget it's name.... and stayed at the elongated pyramid looking hotel with the tram that goes to the Magic Kingdom running thru it. It was a spendy, but at least we felt safer.

That actually was a pretty cool to stay at if the Magic Kingdom is your favorite park, because you are only a tram away. The rooms were decent. We had a larger room with a kitchenette and a nice bathroom (no jet tub). As far as hotel style rooms goes, it was nicely designed.

After we got back we looked up reviews on the net about the All Star resorts and were nearly all negative or equal to the expectations of a lower end hotel. If money is a major concern, they are are certainly the way to go, but understand what the realistic expectations of these resorts are.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/25/2006 at 11:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    ...elongated pyramid looking hotel with the tram that goes to the Magic Kingdom running thru it...
    Thats the Disney Contemporary Resort. I belive it is actually the first resort Disney built there. I agree with your take on the low budget Disney resorts, I passed on them to when doing my research for our stay at Disney. Their moderate level resorts however, like Port Orleans Riverside and Port Orleans French Quarter are very nice. I would have no second thoughts on staying at Port Orleans Riverside again.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for all the replies

We have decided to stay at the Walt Disney World Swan I wanted to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but my wife read some bad reviews and didnt wanna chance it (i thought it would have been nice) its kinda far off from everything else anyway, plus the animals probably stink (had to make excuses to feel better about my wife sayin we couldnt stay there )

8 days 7 nights
    Park Passes
    Park Hopper Passes
    Water Park Passes
    Magical Express Service

I am so excited. More than my daughter

Again thanks for all the replies

Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    ...elongated pyramid looking hotel with the tram that goes to the Magic Kingdom running thru it...
    Or it may have been the Disney World Swan
    Wisdom sheds light on the knowledge you have accumulated

Palm Pre (Sprint)
    If you have HandyShopper (and why wouldn't you, it's FREE), load up this database of the "hidden mickeys" and check them off as you tour the parks!

Actually, the list has just the hidden Mickeys from Animal Kingdom, Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and Disney Resort loaded so far. If anyone has time to finish the rest of the parks, that'd be great (and save me doing so before June...).

Rob
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If ya got kids and want some peace and quiet .....we now restrict our lodging to the wilderness cabins. I like being able to cook my own meals, not having kids in next room banging on walls, sit in shade, have a BBQ, swim in lake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    ...Or it may have been the Disney World Swan...
    No, its the Contemporary. The Swan does not have monorail service.

Here is another thing to look out for while at Disney, its their PhotoPass service. All the parks will have staff photographers positioned at various locals around park. Ask the 1st one you see for a photopass, then have them take your picture. Each time you want to have a nice picture taken and see a staff photographer, hand them your photopass. The pictures taken are attached to the photopass barcode. When you get home from you trip, you sign into the Disney photopass website, see all the pictures the staff photographers took, and select the ones you want for purchase. Its a great cashless way of getting some nice pictures taken, and I belive you even get one print free.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    always be Honolulu, HI
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74

In answer to the OP. Animal Kingdom Lodge is the only place you want to be if its in your budget, and their "Jiko" is the only 5 diamond restaurant in central Florida.

I agree stayed at the AKL for 6 nights, great hotel, nothing like waking up with Giraffe just outside your balcony.

If you can afford the conceige level they also offer some special activities like getting to the park b4 opening, riding the safari ride truck through the the display and stopping when you want to take pictures etc (I had a rhino no further away than 10ft very cool)

In conceige they supply unlimited snacks and light food wine etc from "Jiko" throughout the day till approx 10.00pm in a separate bar area.
    Wow.... I frequent Disney websites and the advice here is just about as good. I vote for Yacht and Beach club resort because of the cool pool and closeness to Epcot and Disney/MGM Studios. However, the Swan and neighboring Dolphin have almost the same closeness to these two parks. Note that the Swan & Dolphin are "in" Disney, but run by other hotel companies... so there may be different perks than the ones run by the Mouse. It really depends on what you want to do... if you want to only go to Disney- stay on property and use their free transportation/luggage handling service (Disney's Magical Express). It keeps you on their property so you spend all your money with them. It you want to venture to Universal/Islands of Adventure/SeaWorld or anyplace else not on Disney Property- you may need a rental car. If you will be spending most of your time at the Magic Kingdom park, any of the Monorail Resorts (Contemporary/Polynesian/Grand Floridian) may be convienent (the monorail also goes to Epcot with a transfer)- but they are pricey.

try www.mouseplanet.com or www.miceage.com for more info.

Be aware that tickets are confusing... they now have the base ticket, then for extra money you can add the ability to "hop" between parks, you can add (additional charge) the ability for the tickets to never expire (so if you stay at the hotel one day that ticket is not wasted and can be used for another trip), you can add one or both of the 2 waterparks (Typhoon Lagoon & Blizzard Beach). There's also other ways Mickey can make you part with your money: golf, miniture golf, horseback riding, fishing, renting a boat, etc. ad-infinitum!

For Adults, the Disney Village Marketplace/Pleasure Island/and West Side area has lots of shopping, restaurants, and clubs. Although Pleasure Island is going thru some reconstruction- Our favorites are the Comedy Warehouse improv club (think: Whoose Line is it Anyway) and the eclectic Adventurers Club (whre you have to venture down to the lower floor and take in the shows in the library, Mask Room, and trophy rooms- great fun).

Have a great time!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko515
    Or it may have been the Disney World Swan
    Nope, it was the Contemporary Hotel.
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Nope, it was the Contemporary Hotel.
    Which has the second best fine dining in central florida, Top Floor the California Grille. Seasonal menu only, on stage kitchen. View of the lake and the park.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast