Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 344
  1. #121  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    WalMart is indirectly telling people what they should be listening to. Every other retailer selling music that I've seen, gives you the CHOICE of the real version or the edited version. That is how it should be.
    LT: have you been in a Christian Music Store lately? You probably wouldn't be surprised to not find the latest G Unit album.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  2.    #122  
    I'm speaking of "open to the general public" retailers. If you cater to a certain customer, fine. But if you claim to serve the general public, then don't tell the general public what YOU think they should listen to.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    a terrific article in Fast Company mag. called The Wal-Mart You Don't Know details the poisonous dynamic of becoming one of their suppliers
    COME ON you pseudo patriots!?!? Where's the outrage over Walmart's effect on the outsourcing of AMERICAN jobs?

    Last edited by pdxtreo; 04/24/2006 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Added Colbert's Bald Eagle.
  4.    #124  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    WalMart is directly telling people what is and is not available in WalMart. Those who desire to listen to the "real" version are free to, and in fact encouraged to, go to any other retailer selling music to acquire that version.

    Has it ever occured to you that WalMart has a customer base that appreciates having only the edited version? Parents need to monitor what kids are listening to themselves.

    Has it ever occured to you that artists and record companies have found that making an edited version was profitable for them? Record companies only, I suspect, caving into pressure from people who can't monitor their own kids.. Artists should not have to compromise their work.

    I assure you, if there were no market for the "edited" version, the record companies would not create them.

    Using your logic, one would conclude that Nordstrom's is indirectly telling people they should not wear inexpensive clothes? Otherwise they would have a "Faded Glory" section right next to "St. John's." But, they don't. Why? Is it because they are attempting to restrict people's CHOICE of clothing? Of course not. They don't carry the "Faded Glory" brand because their customer base is not interested in the "Faded Glory" brand.
    In a way, any store like Nordstrom IS telling people what they should wear. Because they cater to designers and trend-setters, who are also telling people what to wear. Let me tell you, if some major celebrity made "Faded Glory" popular somehow, how long would it be before the fashionable stores picked up that line? Similar things have happened before.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    There you go again spewing your logic. I got a twenty says she doesn't comprehend.
    That was unnecessary!

    But I also suspect that some(not all, SOME) of the ones defending Walmart don't go to Walmart either. They are only defending their business practices, but I bet you won't see them in there!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6. #126  
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviation
    Perhaps the smaller businesses can't offer the same insurance as larger ones, but they CAN still offer it. It's a matter of how much they can afford to put into the plan they offer.
    I own a small business. My employees get medical coverage. I do this because I hope this brings me better quality employees. It's not guaranteed to bring better people by any means, of course.

    It isn't fair to assume that all small business can indeed afford health care insurance for employees. I get paid last. And sometimes that means the Payroll Nazi yells "No salary for you this month, Tastypeppers!"

    Fortunately my business has grown so that those days are (knock wood) history. But the fact still stands. If you throw mandatory health insurance on small businesses, many will disappear. This may endanger small businesses that are young and growing. You know, the little ones that might grow up to be Oracle or Microsoft or something big like that.

    For all the folks who make it sound as though medical insurance is a birthright, let me just suggest you spend a year trying to meet payroll for a newly formed business.

    Take a clue from one of the Leading Lights of the Left. George McGovern, after his Senate career, learned the folly of his political youth on the left hand side of the political equation after he invested in a hotel. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?r102:S04JN2-163:

    In my youth I was a McGovern enthusiast and still have his campaign buttons in the garage somewhere.

    I wish he -- and every other politician -- would reverse the sequence. Run a business first, THEN go to Congress.

    Oh. And erase "should" from the vocabulary.
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo
    COME ON you pseudo patriots!?!? Where's the outrage over Walmart's effect on the outsourcing of AMERICAN jobs?
    Its been 2 years + since I read that article, but I recall that one of its important points was describing the corrosive effect of getting into bed with Walmart has on any business.

    By Walmart demanding continual reductions in the wholesale cost that a manufacturer is able to charge them , the normal dynamic between retailer and supplier is inverted.

    The only way that the supplier can satisfy the increasingly extortionate demands of Walmart (after they've already implemented major supply chain efficiencies) is by initially extracting more and more sacrafices from their workers -- and then finally closing their american plants and rebasing their production in China.

    Walmart's size makes them into an "effective monopoly" able to the distort the normal balance between supply and demand -- between wholesaler and retailer. Becoming a Walmart supplier imposes such large costs, and such huge investments in scale, that you ineffect become their hostage -- the mouse that the cat torments and toys with before they cavalierly kill it...
    Last edited by BARYE; 04/24/2006 at 01:48 AM.
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  8. #128  
    Here here Just because you can does not make it right If we could exploit our less intelligent children ;instead of giving them handouts we could control them all there lives. Make them work for us ! If might made right our wives and children would be second class citizens and us men would rule the house. Isn't so obvious tat at the end of a monopoly game one person wins everybody els loses. Isn't it so obvious that the best of what we are is not running friggen Wall-mart or wining football games ??
  9. #129  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I'm speaking of "open to the general public" retailers. If you cater to a certain customer, fine. But if you claim to serve the general public, then don't tell the general public what YOU think they should listen to.
    Ok, but now you are arguing a matter of degree. Who is the general public? Also, you certainly don't advocate that if a store holds itself out as one 'open to the general public' that it have to carry any and every product do you? If you take that stance, than there are lots of stores deciding what you and I listen to, what we wear, what we eat, etc. At some point, every store is making a choice on what to offer. If the store doesnt offer me what I want, I go elsewhere (or sometimes ask that they think about carrying that product.)

    (Without getting too OT, my point is that *generally parents don't want their kids listening to explicit lyrics in songs. Whether they actually do anything about it like shop at Walmart or elsewhere is a different story.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxtreo
    COME ON you pseudo patriots!?!? Where's the outrage over Walmart's effect on the outsourcing of AMERICAN jobs?
    I thought part of being an (american) patriot meant living in a system of government that attempts to have a free market?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  11. #131  
    if that means Wall-mart is the free market because it won the game, no I don't think thats the america were shooting for
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Ok, but now you are arguing a matter of degree. Who is the general public? Also, you certainly don't advocate that if a store holds itself out as one 'open to the general public' that it have to carry any and every product do you? If you take that stance, than there are lots of stores deciding what you and I listen to, what we wear, what we eat, etc. At some point, every store is making a choice on what to offer. If the store doesnt offer me what I want, I go elsewhere (or sometimes ask that they think about carrying that product.)

    (Without getting too OT, my point is that *generally parents don't want their kids listening to explicit lyrics in songs. Whether they actually do anything about it like shop at Walmart or elsewhere is a different story.)
    They might have indeed have fallen into the "family-oriented" bandwagon, and of course you know what that means. In fact, I think I remember them saying something about censoring magazines too.
    But then I heard someone say they were selling revealing clothes to teenagers, because that's what was in style. That's contradictory, if true.

    A big part of the general public doesn't want edited. I was in 2 other stores lately, edited actually doesn't sell well when people have the choice(as they should have). There were far too many edited CDs left on the shelves.

    I saw a show the other night that reminds of how silly it is for parents to complain about lyrics. The parents were cursing at their 3 children so badly(and 2 of them were little!), I just ended truly disliking them! I've heard kids speak all kinds of ways and the parents do too. So I'm still confused as to why some people complaon about lyrics when they sound the exact same way sometimes!
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/24/2006 at 02:59 AM.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch
    if that means Wall-mart is the free market because it won the game, no I don't think thats the america were shooting for
    I don't shop at wal-mart. Not because they're the "big man on the block" but mostly because I don't like the clientel (also because they don't seem to know the meaning of anything except "Made in China"). That said, I don't knock them for being successful--that is the American way. They're simply exploiting the American desire for cheap goods over quality goods. But that's not wal-marts fault any more than America's appetite for pron is that scumbag Larry Flints fault.
  14. #134  
    everyone can not have liberty and the pursuit... if the big man runs the show. It seems there has to be limits to how big one gets if he doesn't have all of our best interest at heart
  15.    #135  
    I will gladly pay for something that will last, than something cheaply made that may not be usable within a year.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    They might have indeed have fallen into the "family-oriented" bandwagon, and of course you know what that means. In fact, I think I remember them saying something about censoring magazines too.
    But then I heard someone say they were selling revealing clothes to teenagers, because that's what was in style. That's contradictory, if true.

    A big part of the general public doesn't want edited.
    Walmart caters to that rest of the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I was in 2 other stores lately, edited actually doesn't sell well when people have the choice(as they should have). There were far too many edited CDs left on the shelves.
    One would have to ask the proprietors of those 2 establishments why they stock a product that their customers do not buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo


    I saw a show the other night that reminds of how silly it is for parents to complain about lyrics. The parents were cursing at their 3 children so badly(and 2 of them were little!), I just ended truly disliking them!
    Do you think those parents you saw are the same ones complaining about lyrics?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I've heard kids speak all kinds of ways and the parents do too. So I'm still confused as to why some people complaon about lyrics when they sound the exact same way sometimes!
    As one who compalins about lyrics, I can share that:
    1. I don't sound the exact same way
    2. I do understand the relationship between hearing and thinking
    3. I do understand that if a person continues to hear women degraded, it will not be long before s/he begins to treat women in a degrading manner
    4. I understand that your safety, Lady Treo, is enhanced and better ensured when people are not accustomed to viewing you and other women as objects for their own pleasure
    5. Likewise, Lady Treo, I understand that you and other women are likely to experience a higher level of satisfaction in life if people respond to you for your intellect and character rather than based on the dimensions of your anatomy
    6. I understand that the civility of discourse in this nation is waning, and the distortions and misproportions presented in modern enteritanment are a key contributing factor.

    And, yet, understanding all that, I sill respect and uphold your right to listen to whatever you want. And, I respect the right of business owners to stock what ever they want.
  17. #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by byronchurch
    everyone can not have liberty and the pursuit... if the big man runs the show. It seems there has to be limits to how big one gets if he doesn't have all of our best interest at heart
    Interesting direction. This begs the question, 'what is in all our best interest?' And another question, 'how do we know when one has our best interest at heart?'
  18.    #138  
    I really don't know why Tower Records and Best Buy still stock CDs they sell less of. Could it be because they realize music buyers aren't all the same and want to make as many people as possible welcome in their stores? Of course, the bottom line probably has something to do with that too, but at least you don't get the subtle message that you should be listening only to "clean" music!

    As for blaming the media for all our problems, when people refuse to think for themselves, who's fault is that really? If anyone is dumb enough to believe what they say in lyrics is fact, they don't get out much! If half the stuff they say in some of those lyrics were true, they'd be in jail or dead! I don't take many of those people seriously and I don't know why anyone else does! I understand lots of kids have no supervision and probably do end up believing that stuff is cool, because no one told them what is real. That's the parents' faults.

    Image is everything in the entertainment industry and many of those people are fakes, and also pawns of the record companies(who won't support anything but gangsta rappers). And those that really did turn out to be gangstas, well several of them are dead or went to prison, just like I said above. So now the kids see how it really is to be a gangsta. And if they STILL think all that is cool, I don't know what to say. It is not the lyrics that make people do things, it's people who don't have a life thinking entertainment is real!
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  19. #139  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I really don't know why Tower Records and Best Buy still stock CDs they sell less of. Could it be because they realize music buyers aren't all the same and want to make as many people as possible welcome in their stores? Of course, the bottom line probably has something to do with that too, but at least you don't get the subtle message that you should be listening only to "clean" music!

    As for blaming the media for all our problems, when people refuse to think for themselves, who's fault is that really? If anyone is dumb enough to believe what they say in lyrics is fact, they don't get out much! If half the stuff they say in some of those lyrics were true, they'd be in jail or dead! I don't take many of those people seriously and I don't know why anyone else does! I understand lots of kids have no supervision and probably do end up believing that stuff is cool, because no one told them what is real. That's the parents' faults.

    Image is everything in the entertainment industry and many of those people are fakes, and also pawns of the record companies(who won't support anything but gangsta rappers). And those that really did turn out to be gangstas, well several of them are dead or went to prison, just like I said above. So now the kids see how it really is to be a gangsta. And if they STILL think all that is cool, I don't know what to say. It is not the lyrics that make people do things, it's people who don't have a life thinking entertainment is real!

    lady treo. your basically right about what you've said now and before on this walmart forum(and the other forums too). but what else is there? what other system is there?we still enjoy the best society there is. yeah I know there are other good ones. but again what else is there. this is the system that feeds us and gives us our treos. and its not that bad. nothing will be perfect. people can complain and get justice here if they really want. we really should be greatful for what we have and every once in a while shop at walmart. its not that bad. theryre just trying to survive like the rest of us.
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    In a way, any store like Nordstrom IS telling people what they should wear. Because they cater to designers and trend-setters, who are also telling people what to wear. Let me tell you, if some major celebrity made "Faded Glory" popular somehow, how long would it be before the fashionable stores picked up that line? Similar things have happened before.
    If you re-read your own post I think you'll understand that "fashionable stores" are not telling people what they should wear. They are simply responding to what people want to wear.

    If they didn't stock what some major celeb makes popular would they then be telling people that it shouldn't be popular? Or would it simply be a matter of poor business pratices?
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions