Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 344
  1. #101  
    I used to really like shopping at WalMart. Then I moved back to the Atlanta area...there seems to be a WalMart every 10 miles. The one closest to me is less than 2 years old....is dirty, disgusting and poorly stocked. Neither customers nor employees speak English...it is Pakistani or Spanish....I don't choose to speak either one at this time.

    Oh...did anyone bring up the fact that some music artists must censor their CD's if they want them to be sold at WalMart? I don't have to like some of the lyrics but I should have the choice of buying the "real" CD or the one manufactured only for WalMart to sell.....
  2. Deviation's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_meezers
    The one closest to me is less than 2 years old....is dirty, disgusting and poorly stocked.
    Exactly....

    Oh...did anyone bring up the fact that some music artists must censor their CD's if they want them to be sold at WalMart? I don't have to like some of the lyrics but I should have the choice of buying the "real" CD or the one manufactured only for WalMart to sell.....
    I'm not a fan of censorship either. The ones doing the censoring should be the parents.
  3. #103  
    Healthcare should be offered by every employer.
    Is that "should" as in it's a good idea in the employers' interest, or it is their obligation?
  4. #104  
    It is not censorship to decide not to offer a product that one finds objectionable, espeically when the "objectonable" material is freely available elsewhere. As a retailer I decide what to sell, weighing the desires of my customer base with my conscious.
  5. #105  
    Shopharim, you have become the king of stating the obvious.
  6. #106  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_meezers
    ...Neither customers nor employees speak English...it is Pakistani or Spanish....
    Yeah, I ain't never had much use fer ferrners neither.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    You seem to be insinuating that the older sister would do something that may be illegal. No one is advocating that.
    It's not illegal.

    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Listen...I try to see different points of view. I recognize the point your making. It is exploitation to some degree (aren't we all exploited to some degree though? How many people would say that what they are paid is what they 'deserve'.)

    I would be willing to bet that many think they aren't paid enough. We probably come up with idea because we see people make more than we do for similar tasks. That is just another way of gaining perspective.

    I think it would be unfortunate to automatically assume that what they are getting paid to make imitation nike shoes is 'not enough' and then take away that opportunity.
    You must agree then that there is a difference between "feeling" exploited, being exploited.

    Some companies set minimum standards for safety, working conditions, and overal standard of living for those making their products, and some simply farm it out to the lowest bidder.

    Some companies, such as Nokia, actually visit the factories and verify that those minimum standards are met. Not the standards we would expect as westerners, but at least a safe clean work environment and decent pay.

    On the other end of the spectrum, there are companies throughout asia (like some shipyeards in india) where one on the job death Per Day! is expected and accepted, laborers are paid barely enough to eat and life expectancy of the workers not more than a few years.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviation
    Regardless of that, it should be offered at the very least. Maybe it won't be affordable to every employee, but the offer should be there.

    I don't have a solution for the rising costs. But not offering it isn't going to help that either.
    I don't think that's a viable option. There are many, many small businesses that can't afford to provide healthcare to their employees. Furthermore, a great many of these potential employees don't need healthcare as they are already covered by their spouses or parents. And even if they aren't already covered by another source, given the choice between working at a company with no heathcare coverage and not working at all, I think most of these people would rather take the work.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Shopharim, you have become the king of stating the obvious.
    Why do so many choose to ignore the obvious?
  10. #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    ...There are many, many small businesses that can't afford to provide healthcare to their employees...
    Therein lies the disconnect. These posters that want the employer to offer health care regardless of whether or not they can afford it have the union mentality and have probably never met a payroll or created a job. In their world, the corporation is evil and is out to screw the poor hard-working guy. They are Hoffa lemmings and do not know better, arguments are futile.
    Last edited by geatches; 04/23/2006 at 04:06 PM.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Therein lies the disconnect. These posters that want the employer to offer health care regardless of whether or not they can afford it have the union mentality and have probably never met a payroll or created a job. In their world, the corporation is evil and is out to screw the poor hard-working guy. They are Hoffa lemming and do not know better, arguments are futile.
    The irony is that laws that would require employers to offer healthcare coverage will also ensure that the only employers that could afford to hire people would be those big evil corporations.
  12.    #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    It is not censorship to decide not to offer a product that one finds objectionable, espeically when the "objectonable" material is freely available elsewhere. As a retailer I decide what to sell, weighing the desires of my customer base with my conscious.

    WalMart is indirectly telling people what they should be listening to. Every other retailer selling music that I've seen, gives you the CHOICE of the real version or the edited version. That is how it should be.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13. Deviation's Avatar
    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I don't think that's a viable option. There are many, many small businesses that can't afford to provide healthcare to their employees. Furthermore, a great many of these potential employees don't need healthcare as they are already covered by their spouses or parents. And even if they aren't already covered by another source, given the choice between working at a company with no heathcare coverage and not working at all, I think most of these people would rather take the work.
    Perhaps the smaller businesses can't offer the same insurance as larger ones, but they CAN still offer it. It's a matter of how much they can afford to put into the plan they offer.

    I'm sure most people would rather work than sit on their butts. Well aside from most of the people on our wonderful welfare system....
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Shopharim, you have become the king of stating the obvious.
    Obviously, the obvious is not obvious to all.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Obviously, the obvious is not obvious to all.
    Could it be, some are oblivious to the obvious?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  16. #116  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    WalMart is indirectly telling people what they should be listening to. Every other retailer selling music that I've seen, gives you the CHOICE of the real version or the edited version. That is how it should be.
    WalMart is directly telling people what is and is not available in WalMart. Those who desire to listen to the "real" version are free to, and in fact encouraged to, go to any other retailer selling music to acquire that version.

    Has it ever occured to you that WalMart has a customer base that appreciates having only the edited version?

    Has it ever occured to you that artists and record companies have found that making an edited version was profitable for them?

    I assure you, if there were no market for the "edited" version, the record companies would not create them.

    Using your logic, one would conclude that Nordstrom's is indirectly telling people they should not wear inexpensive clothes? Otherwise they would have a "Faded Glory" section right next to "St. John's." But, they don't. Why? Is it because they are attempting to restrict people's CHOICE of clothing? Of course not. They don't carry the "Faded Glory" brand because their customer base is not interested in the "Faded Glory" brand.
  17. #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    WalMart is directly telling people what is and is not available in WalMart. Those who desire to listen to the "real" version are free to, and in fact encouraged to, go to any other retailer selling music to acquire that version.

    Has it ever occured to you that WalMart has a customer base that appreciates having only the edited version?

    Has it ever occured to you that artists and record companies have found that making an edited version was profitable for them?

    I assure you, if there were no market for the "edited" version, the record companies would not create them.

    Using your logic, one would conclude that Nordstrom's is indirectly telling people they should not wear inexpensive clothes? Otherwise they would have a "Faded Glory" section right next to "St. John's." But, they don't. Why? Is it because they are attempting to restrict people's CHOICE of clothing? Of course not. They don't carry the "Faded Glory" brand because their customer base is not interested in the "Faded Glory" brand.
    There you go again spewing your logic. I got a twenty says she doesn't comprehend.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    The irony is that laws that would require employers to offer healthcare coverage will also ensure that the only employers that could afford to hire people would be those big evil corporations.
    I wonder how many people who want laws mandating employer-provided healthcare, would support laws mandating that employees maintain healthy lifestyles.

    Because, the corporations are going to begin demanding the right to regulate lifestyles sense those lifestyle choices are directly effecting the cost of the mandated healthcare. Some already use incentives. How long can it be before the those incentives become requirements?
  19. #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    I wonder how many people who want laws mandating employer-provided healthcare, would support laws mandating that employees maintain healthy lifestyles.

    Because, the corporations are going to begin demanding the right to regulate lifestyles sense those lifestyle choices are directly effecting the cost of the mandated healthcare. Some already use incentives. How long can it be before the those incentives become requirements?
    If they worry about Walmart selling music that isn't profane, something tells me they won't like the drug testing, weekly weigh-ins, mandatory meal planning and limits on dangerous weekend activities. Home much are the socialists willing to give up for their "free" healthcare?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    You must agree then that there is a difference between "feeling" exploited, being exploited.

    Some companies set minimum standards for safety, working conditions, and overal standard of living for those making their products, and some simply farm it out to the lowest bidder.

    Some companies, such as Nokia, actually visit the factories and verify that those minimum standards are met. Not the standards we would expect as westerners, but at least a safe clean work environment and decent pay.

    On the other end of the spectrum, there are companies throughout asia (like some shipyeards in india) where one on the job death Per Day! is expected and accepted, laborers are paid barely enough to eat and life expectancy of the workers not more than a few years.
    I agree with everything you said. However, where there is attrocious work conditions as you described above, my point still stands that they probably have no problem finding people willing to do that work. It sounds like you dont like it and I dont like it but Im not ready to tell someone else that they cant do it.

    And to keep this OT, are you making any of these claims that walmart is doing this?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Posting Permissions