Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    ...and filled the back of my SUV full...
    SUV!!! You must hate the environment! You shop at Walmart!!! You must hate people!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    As for Wal-Mart, I really don't have an opinion.
    I do have one thing that I have seen that I find annoying...though not illegal or even uncommon with other national or international retail chains.......procedures for suppliers. First of all it is very challenging to go thru their procedures to have Wal mart offer your product so you can become a supplier, no problem there.

But often times they only offer a year to year contract, with (to the best of my understanding) no sales volume goal to maintain the contract, with the same procedure again the following year. The contracts obviously do include production commitments and timetables.

As a result many small manufacturers have been literally destroyed (no cites off hand) because these small manufacturers have to invest so much and grow so fast to supply Wal-Mart only to be not approved the following year even though the product is out pacing all sales expectations. And only supplying one year of products was not enough to fully cover the costs of expansion, results ranging from layoffs to bankruptcy of the supplier.

Being a supplier for Wal-Mart can be brutal. But I feel that is a business risk that any supplier or manufacturer should asses, be aware of, and either take or decline knowing the risks. This is not all that uncommon in the industry, but at the scales of Wal-Mart's distribution demands it just becomes magnified to a breaking point for smaller manufacturers taking that risk by their accord.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/21/2006 at 12:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    SUV!!! You must hate the environment! You shop at Walmart!!! You must hate people!
    I know, that is why I live with all my windows closed and shaded, have my doors locked at all times, never answer the doorbell, screen all my calls with my answering machine, filter all email to my Delete folder, and then use TC to fill all of my social and emotional despairing trenches in my life!
    I know, that is why I live with all my windows closed and shaded, have my doors locked at all times, never answer the doorbell, screen all my calls with my answering machine, filter all email to my Delete folder, and then use TC to fill all of my social and emotional despairing trenches in my life!
    Very good stuff. On another topice, how do you like your 6600?
    Very good stuff. On another topice, how do you like your 6600?
    Since we can keep all of our OT posts in this OT forum grouped together... ...

I still love it and I am still empressed with it after 1 1/2 years! I am VERY disappointed that Sprint never came out with the EVDO upgrade to enable the EVDO radio that is in it!!!!! !!! But other than that I still like it a lot....and this coming from a man who usually upgrades every 8 to 12 months.

I am starting to watch what is coming down the line very closely, as I really want EVDO and built in Wifi. I want to wait for the upgraded EVDO radios, which with any luck will start to become available this fall.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/21/2006 at 12:01 PM.
    Since we can keep all of our OF posts in this OF forum grouped together... ...

I still love it and I am still empressed with it after 1 1/2 years! I am VERY disappointed that Sprint never came out with the EVDO upgrade to enable the EVDO radio that is in it!!!!! !!! But other than that I still like it a lot....and this coming from a man who usually upgrades every 8 to 12 months.

I am starting to watch what is coming down the line very closely, as I really want EVDO and built in Wifi. I want to wait for the upgraded EVDO radios, which with any luck will start to become available this fall.
    Thanks.
    I do have one thing that I have seen that I find annoying...though not illegal or even uncommon with other national or international retail chains.......procedures for suppliers. First of all it is very challenging to go thru their procedures to have Wal mart offer your product so you can become a supplier, no problem there.

But often times they only offer a year to year contract, with (to the best of my understanding) no sales volume goal to maintain the contract, with the same procedure again the following year. The contracts obviously do include production commitments and timetables.

As a result many small manufacturers have been literally destroyed (no sites off hand) because these small manufacturers have to invest so much and grow so fast to supply Wal-Mart only to be not approved the following year even though the product is out pacing all sales expectations. And only supplying one year of products was not enough to fully cover the costs of expansion, results ranging from layoffs to bankruptcy of the supplier.

Being a supplier for Wal-Mart can be brutal. But I feel that is a business risk that any supplier or manufacturer should asses, be aware of, and either take or decline knowing the risks. This is not all that uncommon in the industry, but at the scales of Wal-Mart's distribution demands it just becomes magnified to a breaking point for smaller manufacturers taking that risk by their accord.
    well described Hobbes

a terrific article in Fast Company mag. called The Wal-Mart You Don't Know details the poisonous dynamic of becoming one of their suppliers
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    OF COURSE Wal-Mart donates - do you know of any mega-conglomerate that doesn't? It's all about public image. Besides, there's a good chance their donatations are tax write-offs anyway.
    Im sure that is all a factor but as Cardio points out, you can find better ways to save money than to write it off as a donation.

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    I'm sure we've all heard about Wal-Mart hiring illegal workers to keep costs down, right? But I suppose none of you care about that as long as it isn't your dime I avoid Wal-Mart as much as I can, and haven't even so much as SEEN one for at around 3 years.
    A lot of larger 'service' companies have illegal employee issues...and I suspect with our current immigration policy (and lack of prosecution) that it will continue for a lot of companies that hire 'service' personnel.

There is no doubt that walmart has some issues, but Im not about to completely stop shopping there because of them.

Hobbes: good point on the restrictive contracts...but it cuts both ways. Smaller manufacturers are chomping at the bit to get in with Walmart and have that type of massive distribution. Walmart has no problem attracting large and small companies to provide high end and low end products.

Smaller companies have to protect themselves in that contract process or use other retailers
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Hobbes: good point on the restrictive contracts...but it cuts both ways. Smaller manufacturers are chomping at the bit to get in with Walmart and have that type of massive distribution. Walmart has no problem attracting large and small companies to provide high end and low end products.

Smaller companies have to protect themselves in that contract process or use other retailers
    Yup...that was basically my point. It is the choice of the supplier to deal with Wal-Mart or to walk away knowing the process with Wal-mart resulting in calculated and voluntarily assumed risks.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    often their strategy is to establish a store in a region served by small and mid sized retailers -- wall mart then sucks the life from those towns by "out competing" with those smaller stores -- in the end leaving fewer places for people to find work...

how do you quit or complain when your only option is to move far from your familly and friends
    ??
    Ahhhh...so Wal-Mart is the Borg.

I'll admit, living in Los Angeles County, makes the idea of having to move far away to find other employment a bit alien to me. However they have billions in sales every year, so consumers like them. They employ thousands of people, and I would guess that only a small percentage complain. I mean, I know people have gotten spoiled and expect to have everything, but these are transient jobs for the most part. Entry level positions. Eventually, even if working conditions are great, people tend to move on. We're not talking skilled labor.

I saw a post earlier that said WM moves in, eats ups the competition, and then closes its doors only to move into another nearby area. I find that a reach. I have yet to see a WM in this area close its doors. (Not saying it doesn't happen, just never seen it.) Second, what sense does that make? The cost of environmental planning, and building a site, only to close it down and open up at another location seems ludicrous.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Ahhhh...so Wal-Mart is the Borg.

I'll admit, living in Los Angeles County, makes the idea of having to move far away to find other employment a bit alien to me. However they have billions in sales every year, so consumers like them. They employ thousands of people, and I would guess that only a small percentage complain. I mean, I know people have gotten spoiled and expect to have everything, but these are transient jobs for the most part. Entry level positions. Eventually, even if working conditions are great, people tend to move on. We're not talking skilled labor.

I saw a post earlier that said WM moves in, eats ups the competition, and then closes its doors only to move into another nearby area. I find that a reach. I have yet to see a WM in this area close its doors. (Not saying it doesn't happen, just never seen it.) Second, what sense does that make? The cost of environmental planning, and building a site, only to close it down and open up at another location seems ludicrous.
    Munk, you know how it is when people discuss feelings instead of facts. You get stupid stories like Walmart opening and closing stores simply to tear families apart. These people hate corporate America the same way extremist Muslims hate America, because it's easier to blame someone else for your miserable existence instead of taking responsibility for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    well described Hobbes

a terrific article in Fast Company mag. called The Wal-Mart You Don't Know details the poisonous dynamic of becoming one of their suppliers
    thanks Barye for the link....I knew they had to be out there!
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    If a company made it so there was no competition it was probably because they were far enough ahead or advanced so those who would be competitors could not catch up. Who's fault is that? I can not blame Wal-Mart for selling the same product cheaper, for being open extended hours, for providing a larger selection the Mr. McCrugers department store.
    Yeah, and if some Chineese children get caught in a machine once in a while, that's just the price of doing business.

At least my macaroni & cheese is on sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Yeah, and if some Chineese children get caught in a machine once in a while, that's just the price of doing business.

At least my macaroni & cheese is on sale.
    But you'll just be hungry an hour later.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I'm anti-Wal*Mart. Mostly because the service sucks and they aren't that great to their employees.

Horrible stuff? That's must be why they're doing so poorly. Keep in mind they employ more people than any other business in the country and offer not only jobs, but also health insurance to more workers than anyone else.
    Really? Sure they employ a lot of workers, but you may want to doule check your facts on the helath insurance. Most of Wal*Mart's employees are classified as part-time and don't qualify for health insurance. Only recently has Wal*Mart looked at upgrading it health plans due to pressure from the press.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviation
    I'm anti-Wal*Mart. Mostly because the service sucks and they aren't that great to their employees.

Really? Sure they employ a lot of workers, but you may want to doule check your facts on the helath insurance. Most of Wal*Mart's employees are classified as part-time and don't qualify for health insurance. Only recently has Wal*Mart looked at upgrading it health plans due to pressure from the press.
    and your facts are???
    and your facts are???
    Don't do it deviation. I found myself losing a debate here that black students attend poorer schools. Lol.
    Don't do it deviation. I found myself losing a debate here that black students attend poorer schools. Lol.
    You know better than to let facts get in the way of your opinion.
    You know better than to let facts get in the way of your opinion.

New York Times - Wal-Mart Memo Suggests Ways to Cut Employee Benefit Costs

An internal memo sent to Wal-Mart's board of directors proposes numerous ways to hold down spending on health care and other benefits while seeking to minimize damage to the retailer's reputation. Among the recommendations are hiring more part-time workers and discouraging unhealthy people from working at Wal-Mart.......

New York Times - Wal-Mart Memo Suggests Ways to Cut Employee Benefit Costs

An internal memo sent to Wal-Mart's board of directors proposes numerous ways to hold down spending on health care and other benefits while seeking to minimize damage to the retailer's reputation. Among the recommendations are hiring more part-time workers and discouraging unhealthy people from working at Wal-Mart.......
    And that refutes my claim of Walmart covering hundreds of thousands of workers how? GM is bleeding because organized labor has bled it dry to the point they can't compete. They spend upwards of $3000 per car on benefits more than Toyota. Walmart is being responsive to their workers by offering medical insurance while being responsible to their shareholders by holding costs down.

A company that goes out of business can't employ anyone, offer health insurance, help communities or donate to charities. Is this so hard to understand?
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast