Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 344
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Another reason I won't shop there is I refuse to support a place that takes over communities so that they're the only business there.
    I don't necessarily agree with all their practices but they run a pretty tight financial ship. They post pretty good returns and keep growing every year. Financially, they must be doing something right.

    As far as not having them in certain areas, a lot of times that is up to the city, county, etc. I have seen walmart win and get into an area and I have seen them lose. There are pros and cons to both sides with regards to companies like walmart.

    Walmart makes deals to get into different areas. I moved from Idaho where they have 'super walmarts' with full on grocery stores. They drove Albertsons and such out of business. When I moved back to CA, the limit the walmarts to having limited groceries like milk, cereal, bread. Why? Probably because Vons, Albertsons, Stater Bros and other union places joined forces.

    It's hard to hold walmart responsible for 1) offering products at cheaper prices and 2) giving the end consumer more choices on products. (Plus I don't have figures, but they donate a TON of money to various charities-local and national.)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  2.    #42  
    Of course they donate. That's what corporations do for great tax deductions and public relations. They aren't really doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, most of the time.

    Cheaper prices and choice are good only if the products are also. You really have to weed out the good from the bad in Walmart. I'd rather shop in a place where I trust the products more.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Of course they donate. That's what corporations do for great tax deductions and public relations. They aren't really doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, most of the time.
    It's fine to be cynical. Why is it, though, that statements of opinion are made with such certainty? How do you know what motivates their donations? And, if in fact the motivation was tax deduction, is the outcome any less beneficial to the recipients?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Cheaper prices and choice are good only if the products are also. You really have to weed out the good from the bad in Walmart. I'd rather shop in a place where I trust the products more.
    How did you become aware of the "need to weed" given that you don't go near the place?
  4. #44  
    I haven't been to a Wal-Mart in at least 3 years...
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Of course they donate. That's what corporations do for great tax deductions and public relations. They aren't really doing it out of the goodness of their hearts, most of the time.

    Cheaper prices and choice are good only if the products are also. You really have to weed out the good from the bad in Walmart. I'd rather shop in a place where I trust the products more.
    Damn, LT - this is weird. For once I think I agree with you completely

    OF COURSE Wal-Mart donates - do you know of any mega-conglomerate that doesn't? It's all about public image. Besides, there's a good chance their donatations are tax write-offs anyway. I'm sure we've all heard about Wal-Mart hiring illegal workers to keep costs down, right? But I suppose none of you care about that as long as it isn't your dime I avoid Wal-Mart as much as I can, and haven't even so much as SEEN one for at around 3 years.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  6. #46  
    I just got back from my Wal-Mart, and it's doing just fine!

    okay, seriously I do go to Wal Mart. Why? Because when I get off work at 5-6am, and I need to pick up some toilet paper or toothpaste or other things like that, there's a 24hr WM open a few miles from my house. I'm sorry, but I'm not some uppity snob that only goes to Nordstroms or Saks. Screw that crap. For stuff like that, WM is perfect.

    As to those *****ing about the "working conditions", what the **** country are you living in? I was unaware WM has vans that scoop up people and FORCE them to work at their stores. Get real. If things are soooo horrible, people will get another job. You act like their employees are indentured servants and will be shot if they quit.

    Astounding the hysteria that takes place.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    It's fine to be cynical. Why is it, though, that statements of opinion are made with such certainty? How do you know what motivates their donations? And, if in fact the motivation was tax deduction, is the outcome any less beneficial to the recipients?
    How did you become aware of the "need to weed" given that you don't go near the place?
    A friend of mine insists on shopping there. I saw some of the stuff he comes back with, no thanks!

    And you have to be kidding me if you believe any huge corporation is looking out for you. They donate for the tax breaks, first and foremost. And if they get good press, that's good too.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    As to those *****ing about the "working conditions", what the **** country are you living in? I was unaware WM has vans that scoop up people and FORCE them to work at their stores. Get real. If things are soooo horrible, people will get another job. You act like their employees are indentured servants and will be shot if they quit.
    I'm not b**ching about the working conditions, but Wal-Mart HAS been known to hire illegal workers. This is one of the many things that has helped them to pull ahead of their competitors and afford to be open around the clock so you can go and buy your toilet paper after work.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    I just got back from my Wal-Mart, and it's doing just fine!

    okay, seriously I do go to Wal Mart. Why? Because when I get off work at 5-6am, and I need to pick up some toilet paper or toothpaste or other things like that, there's a 24hr WM open a few miles from my house. I'm sorry, but I'm not some uppity snob that only goes to Nordstroms or Saks. Screw that crap. For stuff like that, WM is perfect.

    As to those *****ing about the "working conditions", what the **** country are you living in? I was unaware WM has vans that scoop up people and FORCE them to work at their stores. Get real. If things are soooo horrible, people will get another job. You act like their employees are indentured servants and will be shot if they quit.

    Astounding the hysteria that takes place.
    I'm not speaking of toiletries, supplies and stuff like that.

    And seriously, SEVERAL discrimination lawsuits were filed against them by workers. You can't always just quit when your job is treats you badly, so what other recourse do you have?

    However, this is one main reason I work for and by myself much of the time. I want or need to deal with all that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    It's fine to be cynical. Why is it, though, that statements of opinion are made with such certainty? How do you know what motivates their donations? And, if in fact the motivation was tax deduction, is the outcome any less beneficial to the recipients?
    How did you become aware of the "need to weed" given that you don't go near the place?
    Well said. LT is trying to base an argument on how she "feels" rather than facts. She "feels" she knows what motivates Walmart to donate. Her argument, while well intended, is specious and you will frustrate yourself matching your facts against her feelings.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  11.    #51  
    Oh, you have facts that Walmart is donating out of the goodness of their hearts? When was the last time any large corporation did anything that didn't benefit them in some way?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  12. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I support smaller businesses also. And I don't like ONE choice for everything.
    I purchase items at smaller stores, but I don't think it is fair to punish the employees of the local wal-mart by refusing to buy from them. If enough people decide not to buy from wal-mart your neighbors who work for them, or work for the company that supplies them will lose their job.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I'm not speaking of toiletries, supplies and stuff like that.
    I know. You've mentioned that four times now.

    However, that is precisely why I do go. For those basic household goods, and an occasional DVD or video game. I would much rather do that shopping at 5 in the morning, than fight through the crowds at Costco. (Oh, and I get golf balls too, ronbo! )


    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    And seriously, SEVERAL discrimination lawsuits were filed against them by workers. You can't always just quit when your job is treats you badly, so what other recourse do you have?

    However, this is one main reason I work for and by myself much of the time. I want or need to deal with all that.
    It's so bad, and yet people can't quit. I don't doubt that in a company of that size, someone is going to get bent out of shape. But I don't think think it's as rampant as is being made out to be, else they'd have no one left. And they do have deep pockets, so who better to sue? This is a litigious society we live in. Spill hot coffee in my lap, "OMG, it burns!!!" People are ingrained with it now.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  14. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #54  
    I laugh at people who talk about making donations for tax deduction purposes. How financially savvy is it to give away $100 to save $33 dollars on tax? The same group will argue that paying interest on a mortgage is a tax break, again you pay $100 in interest and save $33 on your tax. The real advantage is if that is the thing that allows you to itemize, not that the interest is a tax advantage.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    ...
    It's so bad, and yet people can't quit. I don't doubt that in a company of that size, someone is going to get bent out of shape. But I don't think think it's as rampant as is being made out to be, else they'd have no one left. And they do have deep pockets, so who better to sue? This is a litigious society we live in. Spill hot coffee in my lap, "OMG, it burns!!!" People are ingrained with it now.

    often their strategy is to establish a store in a region served by small and mid sized retailers -- wall mart then sucks the life from those towns by "out competing" with those smaller stores -- in the end leaving fewer places for people to find work...

    how do you quit or complain when your only option is to move far from your familly and friends
    ??
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  16. #56  
    This thread is really annoying...

    Someone is making a big assumption that lower prices means lower quality.

    Wal-Mart is able to offer lower prices for two reasons:
    1. They have a more efficient distribution system than their competitors - KMart, Target, local businesses, everyone. The cost of distribution is a major part of the price you pay for nearly everything you buy, whether it's toothpaste, clothes, or ketchup. Truck drivers and warehouses cost money, and Wal-Mart is better at managing that than anyone else.

    2. Because of their size, they are able to negotiate better terms than many of their competitors. Suppliers are willing to charge Wal-Mart less for merchandise because they know they will generate large sales across its vast store network.

    Much (though not all) of what Wal-Mart sells is available elsewhere. And its competitors have access to low-cost manufacturers as well. There's no huge quality difference.
    Last edited by samkim; 04/21/2006 at 10:40 AM.
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    often their strategy is to establish a store in a region served by small and mid sized retailers -- wall mart then sucks the life from those towns by "out competing" with those smaller stores -- in the end leaving fewer places for people to find work...

    how do you quit or complain when your only option is to move far from your familly and friends
    ??
    Capitalism is frightening to you? One more time for those of you who are slow to understand, no one is forced to shop there and no one is forced to work there. If you don't like the company, don't go there, but trying to demonize companies that don't believe the way you do is irresponsible.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Oh, you have facts that Walmart is donating out of the goodness of their hearts? When was the last time any large corporation did anything that didn't benefit them in some way?
    I have no need to prove anything, because I am not impugning the character of a company that does more good for less fortunate people in one day than most of will do in our lifetimes.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  19. #59  
    I like Walmart, I shop at WalMart, and I like the low prices. Sometimes I buy for the lowest price. Sometimes, I pay more for quality. For example, I recently bought a 32-inch TV at WalMart for about $330. I first shopped around at other stores, including Costco (they only had hi-def) and Best Buy (lousy selection and high prices).

    Then I went to WalMart. I had my choice between about 30 different models and several different brands, including a Chinese discount brand, RCA, Phillips, etc. I chose the RCA model, and paid about $50 more than the Chinese discount model, because I felt more comfortable with RCA.

    WalMart gave me better selection and better prices late on a Saturday night.

    What do the Anti-Walmart people want me to do? Go to another store (which is probably closed late Saturday night) with less selection and pay substantially more? No way. I don't live in the Soviet Union. This is America - a democracy (well, actually a representative republic. ) Call me unpatriotic, but I like paying less at a a friendly store with great hours and lots of selection that sells most everything I need.

    The regulators should watch WalMart closely to make sure they don't violate anti-trust laws, such as driving out competitors with below market prices and then raise prices after there is no local competition. Other than that, let the people decide where to shop. And as others here have demonstrated, the people generally chose WalMart.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    If a company made it so there was no competition it was probably because they were far enough ahead or advanced so those who would be competitors could not catch up. Who's fault is that?
    As for Wal-Mart, I really don't have an opinion. I don't exclusively shop there. I shop both national chains and local shops as I always did before Wal-mart came to town. I will shop there if I know a good sale, just as I would shop anywhere...and everywhere. Heck, in January they were clearancing many of the overstocked Christmas toys that resulted from less than expected Christmas sales....($50 Hotwheel sets for $1, $50 Matchbox sets for $1, Scene It games for $3, etc...) and filled the back of my SUV full. I put them in storage and now I have a supply of presents for my kids birthdays and Christmas this year. I also bought several duplicates of many items and donated them to various charities.


    Now as far as MS is concerned, I saw first hand many of the flat out illegal tactics they did virtually first hand during the 90s. If another thread like this is started on MS, I can probably dig up an old post from another forum that details many of events. For MS, I can respect the will of the raise to power, but do not respect the use and abuse of that power once earned. There is a big difference.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/21/2006 at 12:03 PM.
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions