Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74

Wal-Mart Forced To Stock Emergency Contraceptive

Wal-Mart Forced To Stock Contraceptive

BOSTON, Feb. 14, 2006
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (AP) The state board that oversees pharmacies ordered Wal-Mart on Tuesday to stock emergency contraception pills at its pharmacies in Massachusetts, making the Bay State the second in the nation to require the world's largest retailer to carry the drug.

A Wal-Mart spokesman said the company would comply with the directive by the Massachusetts Board of Pharmacy, and is reviewing its nationwide policy governing the so-called "morning after" pill.

"Clearly women's health is a high priority for Wal-Mart," spokesman Dan Fogleman said. "We are actively thinking through the issue."....
    Is this the same drug that's suspected in several women's deaths? Maybe Walmart is more concerned about the health of women than the state of Massachusetts.
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    Is this the same drug that's suspected in several women's deaths? Maybe Walmart is more concerned about the health of women than the state of Massachusetts.
    I think you're thinking of RU486. The drug Wal-Mart is being forced to carry by these states is, depending on the type, a progestin or a combination of progestin and estrogen. This is called the "morning after pill", with clever trade names like Plan B and Preven, because it needs to be taken in two doses within 72 hours after suspected conception and 12 hours later. Unlike mifepristone (which used to be called RU-486), the morning after pill is not technically considered an abortifacient. Many people consider this semantics, though, since pregnancy has been given the convenient definition of beginning at the implantation of the embryo rather than conception. The stated action of the morning after pill is to either prevent ovulation (ideally) or thicken the mucous on the walls of the uterus to prevent implantation of an already conceived embryo (most common).

So, bottom line, the morning after pill doesn't kill mothers, it just kills embryos. Unless, of course, we want to talk about the very small chance of dying as a result of an ectopic pregnancy which is increased by 10 fold with the use of the morning after pill. But why bother with such trivialities, eh? And why bother telling women that there's a 5% chance that they won't be able to get pregnant again after an ectopic pregnancy? Its better the population doesn't know those risks.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I think you're thinking of RU486. The drug Wal-Mart is being forced to carry by these states is, depending on the type, a progestin or a combination of progestin and estrogen. This is called the "morning after pill", with clever trade names like Plan B and Preven, because it needs to be taken in two doses within 72 hours after suspected conception and 12 hours later. Unlike mifepristone (which used to be called RU-486), the morning after pill is not technically considered an abortifacient. Many people consider this semantics, though, since pregnancy has been given the convenient definition of beginning at the implantation of the embryo rather than conception. The stated action of the morning after pill is to either prevent ovulation (ideally) or thicken the mucous on the walls of the uterus to prevent implantation of an already conceived embryo (most common).

So, bottom line, the morning after pill doesn't kill mothers, it just kills embryos. Unless, of course, we want to talk about the very small chance of dying as a result of an ectopic pregnancy which is increased by 10 fold with the use of the morning after pill. But why bother with such trivialities, eh? And why bother telling women that there's a 5% chance that they won't be able to get pregnant again after an ectopic pregnancy? Its better the population doesn't know those risks.
    Sure, but if you take a poll among Wal Mart shoppers, I will bet the response will be closer to this.

By the way, according to your definition in bold, the progestin & estrogen birth control pills are baby killers too.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    By the way, according to your definition in bold, the progestin & estrogen birth control pills are baby killers too.
    They may well be. No company should be forced to carry a product they are morally opposed to. I know anything that is moral is frightening to liberals, but many people outside you party do have morals and wish to do business with like-minded companies.
  5.    #225  
    When you serve the public(that means EVERYONE), you keep your "morals" to yourself! Or start a church if you want to start selling "morals"!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    When you serve the public(that means EVERYONE), you keep your "morals" to yourself! Or start a church if you want to start selling "morals"!
    Right because ONLY churches "sell" morals Retailers have the right to carry whatever products they want. Since you seem to think one exists in your "blue type" world would you mind naming the store so we all know to shop there?

Walmart does serve the public. Everyone, as you put it. Anyone can shop there if they want. They dont screen you at the door. All are welcome. Also Walmart doesnt make you feel like a lower class citizen if youre poor or obese or bothered by some other affliction that many higher end stores and employees therein are frequently observed doing. I've never seen a sales person at the makeup aisle look down her nose at the fat smelly lady looking for cosmetics. I have seen that happen at Macy's though.

If Walmart didnt serve the public then no one would shop there and they would go out of busines.

As to your cheap junk comments LT, should I buy my Xbox 360 at Best Buy because the one Walmart has is inferior or is it ok with you if I pick it up at the same store that I get milk and diapers at, thereby saving gas and time shopping in one store?
  7.    #227  
    And if the pharmacy serves EVERYONE, that includes women needing birth control.

And the XBox isn't included in the type of products I was talking about.

What color is the sky in your world? What business are you in?
  9.    #229  
    1. Blue. 2. Since you're so morally pure and to avoid yet another disagreement, I won't be answering that question.
    1. Blue. 2. Since you're so morally pure and to avoid yet another disagreement, I won't be answering that question.
    In other words, instead of me showing you why government should not intrude in your business and tell you what products you should carry, you decided not to expose yourself to further embarrassment. Understandable.
  11.    #231  
    It's actually because of the nature of the business. But I don't own a store. Cross that off your list. I will say that I don't demand people be "moral". All I ask is that they be fair, but not necessarily moral.

I'm not embarrassed about anything, but the discussion could turn REALLY touchy.

So all pharmacies serve "everyone". Proof please.

Xbox not on the list? Could you provide the list so we know what products you have deemed inferior?
  13.    #233  
    Clothing, shoes and the low-end electronics that don't work after a year(if they last that long) are mostly what I'm speaking of. Not food or supplies.

If you go to pharmacy, you want them telling you what medicine you can and can't take because THEY are morally opposed? If they are open to the public, you're saying they can do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    So all pharmacies serve "everyone". Proof please.

Xbox not on the list? Could you provide the list so we know what products you have deemed inferior?
    The list includes items she heard they carry, or a friend bought, because we all know she never goes there.
  15.    #235  
    I look at my friend's things and that's one reason why. Like clothes and shoes. As for the cheap electronics(I saw those online), I used to have cheap electronics, never again. I actually avoid them from any store.

There also is no WalMart within, I'd say 20 miles, of me.
    A quick search of comparable "cheap" products from Sony, Pioneer and Motorola shows that Walmart is less expensive than Best Buy, Circuit City or CompUSA. What was your point again?
  17.    #237  
    When I said cheap, I meant the low-end cheaply made brands that not many have ever heard of and that usually dont last long.
  18.    #238  
    I have a question. Do they come over and hook up everything together properly, like other places?
    A quick search of comparable "cheap" products from Sony, Pioneer and Motorola shows that Walmart is less expensive than Best Buy, Circuit City or CompUSA. What was your point again?

what some people discovered Xmas 2004 (many news stories at the time) was Walmart was living on its reputation for inexpensive but not delivering.

They will coyly position boxes of "cheap" crappy no brand TV or DVD players on the end aisle, expecting that folks will presume the name brand merchandise in the main display area is similarly discounted --

Often BestBuy etc. sells that stuff for less than WM
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Lady Treo,

For the most part Walmart does have a right to sell or not sell whatever they wish, inside the laws of the land.

Would you say for example that Walmart should be able to retail machine guns? Stealth bombers? Weapons grade plutonium?

On the other hand, you and I have a right to call attention to their practices, and to legislate regulation for those practices.