Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I need a new gmail account. Anyone have an invitation to spare?
    I have a few to spare, let me know where to send it.
    Can't you get one through SMS still?

Otherwise, I too have some.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Haven't you heard? Google is evil.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    This might be the start of a new thread "How dumb can you be and still have a Treo?". True story -

A couple of weeks ago, I saw a bumper sticker in the rearview mirror which read "LIVE SI ELGOOG". I have been trying to figure it out for weeks. Thanks, Hoovs.

Maybe because it was in Berkeley, CA, I kept thinking it had to be some huge international thing ("Who is El Goog?").
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
    I didn't know you still needed invites, but if you still do, I'm sure I still have 50 or so.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    This is why I never signed up for Gmail. Those same types of concerns were raised when it first debuted. I would use Gmail for spam and chit-chat email ONLY. I see some using it for business email and I think that might not be a good idea.

I just realized that that article actually IS from the year Gmail was introduced. That wasn't the report I read about how Gmail can invade your privacy, but it's just as scary.
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 04/21/2006 at 07:47 AM. Reason: I realized article isn't current.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I am a long time Gmail user(one of the first BETA testers, actually), and I don't care what anyone says; when it comes to web email, Gmail really can't be beat. It has auto-refreshing, meaning that if you keep your inbox open in one window at all times, every time you look at it it will be current(with most web email apps you have to manually refresh). Also, it threads your emails of the same subject line into a conversation which is incredibly convenient. AND it automatically integrates GoogleTalk, meaning that you'll never have to seperately sign into that service; while you're looking at your mailbox, you'll also see who's online and can chat with them if you so desire. And you get more storage with Gmail than just about anyone else. Oh, and another thing, I recently received a phishing attack from someone claiming to be amazon.com(and it seemed completely legit), but before I even opened the email Gmail notified me that it was a possible phishing attack. Now that's smart. Oh, and don't let me forget about the automatic draft saves. Ever been in the middle of a long email when the power goes out, or your computer crashes? Yeah, you lost that whole email. But with Gmail, it automatticaly saves drafts of the message you're currently composing every couple of minutes or so, so you never have to worry about something like that! I have no qualms in saying Gmail is the best web email service around. And it's still in BETA! Once(if?) IMAP is implemented it's gonna be all over for the competition.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    One more feature. Google servers read your email. So they can figure out how to advertise to you, so they say. They could easily do a lot more if they wanted to. Then there's all that fun tracking software.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    One more feature. Google servers read your email. So they can figure out how to advertise to you, so they say. They could easily do a lot more if they wanted to. Then there's all that fun tracking software.
    It isn't people reading your email or anything It's automated and based completely around key words. And the adds are unobtrusive, and most of the time I don't even notice them. The level of service I receive from Gmail(in it's BETA) would cost me 20 bucks a year at least from most other email providers.
    Why are ringtones always such a big issue? Don't people realize that they're obnoxious!? And why the Nintendo 'Wii'? What th-!?
    And what is in control of the servers? And could steal identities or whatever, if they got a chance, just by collecting info off the servers? Especially with all that tracking software.

You once used Hushmail, THAT was good choice! They won't even reset your password if you forget it, that's how off-hands they are.

And what is in control of the servers? And could steal identities or whatever, if they got a chance, just by collecting info off the servers? Especially with all that tracking software.

You once used Hushmail, THAT was good choice! They won't even reset your password if you forget it, that's how off-hands they are.
    C'mon LT, now you're just being paranoid. If I(or anyone) were at risk of identity theft via Gmail, chances are we would've heard about it happening to someone by now. Yes, I once used Hushmail, and it was great, but I don't find it to be necessary now. When I do, however, I'll be using it again in an instant(I have an account set up and everything).
    I'm sorry, but I don't trust any system that searches email, even if it is a server. That opens up a whole can of worms because there are still people behind the servers. " Just trust us not to invade your privacy", sure.

I'm sorry, but I don't trust any system that searches email, even if it is a server. That opens up a whole can of worms because there are still people behind the servers. " Just trust us not to invade your privacy", sure.
    It doesn't really 'search' your email. It just keys-in on specific words. You don't think the people at Hushmail could read your email without you knowing about it?
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    I use GMail all the time. And I now use Google Calendar.

The ads don't bother me. They aren't in the way and I'm not worried about them stealing my privacy. I mean really, what do I have to hide anyhow?
    They are evil just like Walmart and Microsoft. Do you hate everything successful?
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    If you think that none of the developers currently read the email your using now then you have never been a developer.

Also, it seems you dont know what "read your email" means in this context. FYI, computers cant read.

However, in my opinion, you might want to be concerned about the fact that the Bush administration's justice is attempting to subpoena the data from Google about what we have been searching for.

Bush CAN read, at least on Condoleeza's days off.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    If you think that none of the developers currently read the email your using now then you have never been a developer.

Also, it seems you dont know what "read your email" means in this context. FYI, computers cant read.

However, in my opinion, you might want to be concerned about the fact that the Bush administration's justice is attempting to subpoena the data from Google about what we have been searching for.

They are watching you right now... the voices you hear are real... jump!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74

It's not just Google they want to see. MSN, Yahoo and (I think) AOL willingly coughed up the info. Google to their credit said no.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by geatches
    They are watching you right now... the voices you hear are real... jump!
    Russ Feingold's motion in the U.S. Senate to censure President Bush for illegal wiretapping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast