Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    It's really interesting to hear all the stories about the Enron trial when I could throw a rock out of my office window and hit the courthouse. :-) But it seems like something that's happening in some far away land, full of national media attention. Even when I drive over the TV cables spanning the street, it still doesn't hit home.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have had a couple choice experiences of seeing National / International News in my local area at the time, and it is always amazing seeing the event first hand and the sensationalism, spins, what news worthy info was left out (usually this happens with the positive aspects of what is being reported about), the add-in "Facts" based on perspective observations, etc.....

And then simply the Wow factor of seeing your home town on CNN or Fox News.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    It's really interesting to hear all the stories about the Enron trial when I could throw a rock out of my office window and hit the courthouse. :-) But it seems like something that's happening in some far away land, full of national media attention. Even when I drive over the TV cables spanning the street, it still doesn't hit home.
    is it water cooler conversation ? do your neighbors still want to rush the courthouse to have a necktie party ??? have they forgiven, forgotten ...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by BARYE
    is it water cooler conversation ? do your neighbors still want to rush the courthouse to have a necktie party ??? have they forgiven, forgotten ...
    What's a necktie party?

People talk about it, but it's been so long that honestly, few people really care all that deeply. Had they gone to trial three years ago, it would have been a different case.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    What's a necktie party?
    gee -- I had thought it was a traditional Texas custom -- one where folks gather up in a posse to invite the local cattle rustlers to come to a picnic, and dance (at the end of a rope).

I guess that now that civilization has finally come to the frontier its not done that way any longer.

But I have heard that the Texas version of ol' sparky sizzles them at rate that would make Kim Jong-il blush...
    Last edited by BARYE; 04/18/2006 at 03:52 AM.
  6.    #6  
    Well, we do have an "Old Hanging Oak" about two blocks from the Courthouse.

Lay, Skilling found guilty in Enron trial
    By Matt Daily and Dan Whitcomb Reuters

HOUSTON (Reuters) - A jury found former Enron Corp. chief executives Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling guilty of lying about the company's financial troubles in a verdict on Thursday that could send them to jail for years.

The convictions in a business scandal that sent shockwaves to Wall Street and Washington were a major victory for U.S. prosecutors intent on sending a message that corporate America must clean up its act.

Lay, 64, was convicted of six counts of conspiracy and fraud and faces up to 45 years in prison.

Skilling was found guilty of 19 counts of conspiracy, fraud, insider trading and making false statements which, combined, carry a maximum sentence of 185 years. He was not convicted on nine criminal counts.

In a separate trial, U.S. District Judge Sim Lake found Lay guilty of all four bank fraud charges for illegally using money from $75 million in personal loans to buy stock.

Skilling looked down when the sentence was read, while Lay's wife, Linda, grabbed her husband's arm.

Enron, once the nation's seventh largest company, collapsed into what was then the biggest U.S. bankruptcy in December 2001 amid disclosures it had used off-the-books deals to hide debt and inflate profits.

The convictions of Lay and Skilling bring to 19 the number of Enron executives who pleaded guilty or have been found guilty of crimes for their part in the company's demise.
    Justice... and under the Bush admin. Who knew?
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Justice... and under the Bush admin. Who knew?
    I am confused by your comment. Bush did not appoint the judge. Bush did not pick the jury. What connection at all did he have with the trial?
    Quote Originally Posted by cellmatrix
    I am confused by your comment. Bush did not appoint the judge. Bush did not pick the jury. What connection at all did he have with the trial?
    I figured that if Bush is to be held responsible for every evil in the country today he may as well get some kudos when something good happens.
    well I do not hold Bush responsible for what Lay did. But I would not give him kudos either. The fact is Bush had no power to influence the trial one way or the other.

Given that Ken Lay has been one of Bush's biggest political contributors for years, it is probably good that Bush had no connection with the trial, don't you think?

Kenny Boy, Meet Brownie
    The conviction of Enron's founder marks another dark moment in the Bush era.
    By Howard Fineman
    Newsweek May 25, 2006

If you want a date to mark the beginning of the end of the Bush era in American life, you may as well make it this one: May 25, 2006. The Enron jury in Houston didn’t just put the wood to Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling. The jurors took a chainsaw to the moral claims of the Texas-based corporate culture that had helped fuel the rise to power of President George W. Bush...

...Still, when the history books are written, the debit side of the Bush-era ledger will include a line labeled “Kenny Boy.” That’s the nickname Bush gave the guy he later claimed he barely knew.

As Texas governor from 1995 to 2000, Bush and consiglieri Karl Rove cultivated the Enronites for their vast connections and money; more than that, Bush linked arms with Lay in the belief that market forces alone should guide the production, distribution and use of energy. But the theory ran riot at Enron, giving license to corporate buccaneers who blithely screwed consumers, employees and shareholders alike. The old saying applies to Enron: you lie down with dogs, you get up with fleas.
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/26/2006 at 11:57 AM.
    I knew it would somehow be Bush's fault again.
    I knew it would somehow be Bush's fault again.
    hey hoovs -- I didn't write that -- Fineman is a conservative.
    Until he got in trouble, Lay was one of junior's buddies.

He was one of the folks that cheney secretly met with to create their energy strategy ...
    hey hoovs -- I didn't write that -- Fineman is a conservative.
    Until he got in trouble, Lay was one of junior's buddies.

He was one of the folks that cheney secretly met with to create their energy strategy ...
    How does that implicate Bush at all in the internal business failings of the Enron board?
    How does that implicate Bush at all in the internal business failings of the Enron board?
    junior was not on Enron's board.

but when junior was not a failed incompetent businessman, he was an integral part of the Texas culture that included Lay, Skilling, Harvey Pitt, Rove, Cheney (Haliburton), Gonzales -- an endless list of evil doers ...
    and BTW -- junior's biggest lifetime political contributor ???

"Kenny boy" Lay
    Last edited by BARYE; 05/26/2006 at 01:30 PM.
    -- an endless list of evil doers ...
    Ah yes. Okay, now I see it.
    By the way, speaking of evil doers, you can't make any more posts except in off topic.
    By the way, speaking of evil doers, you can't make any more posts except in off topic.
    hoovs, you are unfair AND inaccurate !!

I posted at least 6-7 times about the 700p after it escaped. (mainly about it lacking wifi).

Its true though, I seldom venture far from this, the South Central part of treocentral ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast