Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    As far as the 700p goes, my sources are well placed and in different positions. The 700P exists and it is coming to market, dstrauss will owe me a Stabucks card! Too much has flowed under the bridge...
    Perry, Perry, Perry...that's not water flowing under the bridge.

You just keep telling everybody how much you want that Starbuck's card - it's going to feel so much better when I get MINE from the great state of Michigan. There will be a Palm OS Treo this year - it's called "Lowrider" and they'll sell oodles to the budget smartphone wannabes. Pros like you and me will be kicking tires on WM5 devices for the rest of this year if we want a real smartphone. I just hope "Hollywood" has a lot of appeal over the Samsing i320 & Moto Q.

53 days, +/-, to my Breakfast Blend.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
  2.    #142  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Perry, Perry, Perry...that's not water flowing under the bridge.

You just keep telling everybody how much you want that Starbuck's card - it's going to feel so much better when I get MINE from the great state of Michigan. There will be a Palm OS Treo this year - it's called "Lowrider" and they'll sell oodles to the budget smartphone wannabes. Pros like you and me will be kicking tires on WM5 devices for the rest of this year if we want a real smartphone. I just hope "Hollywood" has a lot of appeal over the Samsing i320 & Moto Q.

53 days, +/-, to my Breakfast Blend.

LOL

Are you suggesting an open sewage canal.. . . . . ?

The Hot Chocolates are mine !!

ooops -- not a good progression there. . . . .

Cheers, Perry
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Allright, I am buying into the conspiracy here, but here is my twist. But with everything you guys have been saying why would Sprint release the 700p now (May/June)? Especially since they worked so hard to keep it under raps only a short month ago. Logically I would think that since the 700w is already out with Verizon and the 6 month exclusive is about to expire it sounds like Sprint may be releasing the 700w in May/June.

Just my 2 cents, which is worth nearly nothing in this forum :-P
    AT&T iPhone, My Blog!
  4.    #144  
    Jan 5 plus 6 months = July 5 . . . . . . . on last check with Shadowmite, Sprint was not testing a 700W yet.. . . . . . .

It will be the 700P in June.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/17/2006 at 09:33 AM.
    Jan 5 plus 6 months = July 5 . . . . . . . on last check with Shadowmite, Sprint was not testing a 700W yet.. . . . . . .

It will be the 700P in June.

Cheers, Perry.
    First, is the 6 month exclusive from Jan 6th or some other date agreed to by their contract? We do not know that answer. Jan 6th was just the release date.

Second, why would you assume Shadowmite would know the inner workings of Sprint and Palm. What confirmation do we have of deeper contact he may have then the average Joe? His website is pretty anti-Palm corporate friendly with his disclaimer:

Palm employees or contractors, some of the material I have posted here is your copyright. I have this on my page to help your business and customers to enjoy your products. If for some reason you want this material removed, just ask via the email link below. I hope you will allow me to continue, but by no means do I want to upset you. Thank you.

That pretty much tells me he has low level contacts at best or that disclaimer would not be needed and that he has no NDA which means he most likely has no official contact.
  6.    #146  
    Hi gharrod!!

I can't argue with your comment, other than to say Shadow was shown a similiar beta to Merlyn's -- before Merlyn posted his -- so whoever his contact is had access to a beta. Shadowmite also stated strongly that no 700W was in testing on the Sprint network at that time. Are Shadowmite's contacts in on the conspiracy too?

We can pick over point by point forever -- however the overwhelming weight of circumstantial evidence leads us to a June release for the 700P. I refer you back to my post #129.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=129

Believe, my friend, believe!

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/17/2006 at 06:59 PM.
    Well, here's a slightly different way to look at this.

Building a Treo 700p as described would not be a "sending a man to the moon" type of task. It would be simply taking the 700w, and loading PalmOS 5.4.(8+) on it, with drivers for the new radios. The existing drivers for the 320x320 display from the 650 would still be valid. The biggest issue would likely be the desire to rev some of the applications like PictureMail and VersaMail and stuff to clean up some clunky UI issues -- but making a 700w into a 700p is not a Herculean task.

In short, why WOULDN'T Palm do it?

I do believe that Palm agreed to give Verizon some exclusivity in the 700 series to get them onboard as a leading vendor, rather than trailing far behind, and that makes sense.

6 months is certainly a reasonable number, and I can't argue with folks who are talking about 7/6/06 as the first day that Palm can release the phone -- and Sprint doesn't want to totally torpedo 650 sales by letting the cat out of the bag until we are very very close to that date.

But from an engineering standpoint, I can't see why Palm wouldn't come out with a 700p as soon as any exclusivity deal is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lofdog
    Allright, I am buying into the conspiracy here, but here is my twist. But with everything you guys have been saying why would Sprint release the 700p now (May/June)? Especially since they worked so hard to keep it under raps only a short month ago. Logically I would think that since the 700w is already out with Verizon and the 6 month exclusive is about to expire it sounds like Sprint may be releasing the 700w in May/June.

Just my 2 cents, which is worth nearly nothing in this forum :-P
    I agree. Added to my two cents, we almost have a nickel!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
    Hi gharrod!!

I can't argue with your comment, other than to say Shadow was shown a similiar beta to Merlyn's -- before Merlyn posted his -- so whoever his contact is had access to a beta. Shadowmite also stated strongly that no 700W was in testing on the Sprint network at that time. Are Shadowmite's contacts in on the conspiracy too?

We can pick over point by point forever -- however the overwhelming weight of circumstantial evidense leads us to a June release for the 700P. I refer you back to my post #129.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=129

Believe, my friend, believe!

Cheers, Perry.
    My point is unless I am missing something I do not give Shadowmite or his observations any more validiy then anyone else's. It is highly possible that both the phone that Merlyn had and the one that Shadowmite saw were simply alpha test units and may never see the light of day. Now comes the news of a possible major firmware upgrade for the 650 in early June which gives it a much richer featureset. If that is true then who is going to buy the 700P? There have been rumblings of Palm taking their hardware contract to other vendors (away from HTC) for new product and maybe, just maybe, HTC produced a few test units with the POS on them and offered them up for testing to earn the future business from Palm. Think of these as "spec" phones. How hard would it be for Palm engineers to port the POS onto the hardware equivilent of a 700W? I dare say it would probably be very easy. I still stand by the statement Palm made to IT Week about the current POS not having the capability to work with the newer generation of cell phone networks as it is designed now.

Remember I would love to see this device exist but I am expecting a huge letdown with the features of any 700P which may be released. I don't see anyone doing handflips for slight technology and cosmetic changes.
    Don't forget gharrod, no software update to the 650 will give it (allegedly) 128MB memory or EVDO.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11.    #151  
    Hi gharrod!

This is my expectation for the 700P, as summarized on Treonauts from TreoCentral forum postings:

Finally, let’s see what has surfaced about the specifications of the new Treo 700p:

Runnning PalmOS Garnet v5.4.9
    1.2MP Camera (1280x1024)
    Bluetooth v1.2
    pTunes, SprintTV, Documents to Go 8 all in ROM
    Blazer 4.5
    64MB Memory with 54MB User-Available
    320x320 screen
    FAT32 driver support (to use SD Cards larger than 2GB)
    EVDO Radio (High Speed Wireless Data 400–700kbps)
    Can receive call while using 1xEvDo, but cannot call and browse at the same time (limitation of 1xEvDo)
    New web like picture album interface, new facelift for album and picture application
    Menu button moved to bottom left shift spot
    SharkMsg-like “SMS after call” functionality
    Flashing ‘Alerts’ asterix replaced by little golden bell icon
    Green button is Call Answer button, Phone button for Contacts
    New "fast mode" in Blazer
    No WiFi drivers installed and no ability to test a WiFi SD card
    Very large new DbCache of over 10MB for a _much_ speedier user experience

I think this is a reasonable expectation set. I think anyone expecting built in WiFi or GPS will probably be disappointed.

Current targeted release date is 1 to 2 weeks beyond the prior 5/28 communication to Sprint store managers -- I chose June 9 as a date to converse about.

As for the major firmware upgrade for the 650. . . . . . . are we talking a new email client that incorporates BlackBerry Connect? BB Connect has alreday been released on one Orient carrier of the 650. . . . . .

If this is the case -- then the 700P will come out with it installed or will have it's own upgrade soon after.. . . . .my guess.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/17/2006 at 07:15 PM.
    Flashing ‘Alerts’ asterix replaced by little golden bell icon

NOOOOOOOOOO...what will we do for laughs around here!>!!??!??!21.?!?

Very large new DbCache of over 10MB for a _much_ speedier user experience
    This to me is almost a bigger deal than EVDO. I think (and call me optimistic) That this will all but end crashes...(except for users that are silly and upgrade for there 650's by installing everything form the 650 at once of course)

I just switched back to my treo 650 from the ppc6700 I used for a month. So good to be back. I was all over the evdo and multi-tasking but the WM5 OS although really cool just does not fit me.

BTW...ppc will be on ebay in a couple of days. If anyone is intersested in the mean time let me know
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    BTW...ppc will be on ebay in a couple of days. If anyone is intersested in the mean time let me know
    mmmmmmmm...6700.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    mmmmmmmm...6700.
    just let me know...monkey face gets a discount if monkey wants it.

btw...i was the first here with the primate humor

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=sprint+rep
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    I don't want any grief here but I am going to once again give some "props" to Perry. I was having lunch today with a friend of mine who was at sprint looking for a new phone. he was told that the 700p was coming out in Early May. He did not know what that once and did not ask...it was an unsolicited comment from the Sprint store.

OK... FLAME AWAY!
    Last edited by BigTex; 04/17/2006 at 09:26 PM.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    I don't want any grief here but I am going to once again give some "props" to Perry. I was having lunch today with a frined of mine who was at sprint looking for a new phone. he was told that the 700p was ming out in Early march. He did not know what that once and did not ask...it was an unsolicited comment from the Sprint store.

OK... FLAME AWAY!

flames for grammar....

Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    He did not know what that once and did not ask....

he was told that the 700p was ming out in Early march....
    then of course Early March???

what, 2007?

17.    #157  
    then of course Early March???

what, 2007?

CRASH CART TO PPR, STAT !!
    just let me know...monkey face gets a discount if monkey wants it.

btw...i was the first here with the primate humor

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ght=sprint+rep
    You are most kind, O' furry wise one. I'll let you know.

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    My Bad! I meant MAY not March. I tried to edit my post but my damn DSL went offline. I have since correct my mistakes. I am SO sorry Perry. I hope the heart Attack was not too painful
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
    Poor Perry. He's probably floppin' around like a large mouth bass after you've just reeled him into the boat.

Page 8 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131858 ... LastLast