Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29343536373839404142434449 ... LastLast
    Oh. perry! a developer has stated in another thread that they have tested the 700P.... now I am not naming names, but I understand that he is a very good... guy...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    Oh. perry! a developer has stated in another thread that they have tested the 700P.... now I am not naming names, but I understand that he is a very good... guy...
    A link to the other thread might be nice...thanks.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
    Quote Originally Posted by vflopez
    The 600 was released on Sprint in the beginning of October 2003.
    OK, that concerns me a bit. 600 in October, 650 in November, 700w in January (I think). Hopefully just a coincidence, but they seem to like to release in fiscal Q3 or Q4.

NOnetheless, I'll keep the faith. By mid-June the 700p will be.
    xtant21... your wish is my command (or at least a suggestion):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112667
    "Everybody Palm!"

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    xtant21... your wish is my command (or at least a suggestion):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=112667

You da man...thanks.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    The test group at Palm and the carriers (Sprint, VZW, Sin-gular) must be really small tight-knit groups. Not one disgruntled employee willing to tell us about the days work in detail from HOME where they can't monitor their internet and e-mail usage. What happened to the good 'ol days of theft of office information and questionable character? What gives people? Somewhere there has to be a Sprint or Palm employee hating his job waiting for the new offer to come through who is willing to spill the beans here...there just has to.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    The "goodguy" had an interesting reply...that he couldn't say could lead a strong case for the idea that he works for Sprint. Not sure what kind of carrot he was dangling there.
    Quote Originally Posted by xtant21
    The test group at Palm and the carriers (Sprint, VZW, Sin-gular) must be really small tight-knit groups. Not one disgruntled employee willing to tell us about the days work in detail from HOME where they can't monitor their internet and e-mail usage. What happened to the good 'ol days of theft of office information and questionable character? What gives people? Somewhere there has to be a Sprint or Palm employee hating his job waiting for the new offer to come through who is willing to spill the beans here...there just has to.
    Did you learn that on Southpark?
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    The "goodguy" had an interesting reply...that he couldn't say could lead a strong case for the idea that he works for Sprint. Not sure what kind of carrot he was dangling there.
    Q: Why does that make you think he was talking about Sprint instead of Verizon?
    The main thing is that there is a 700P (Vzn or Sprint- at least there is one!)...
    "Everybody Palm!"

Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    Q: Why does that make you think he was talking about Sprint instead of Verizon?
    I dunno...just one of those cop hunches I guess. I know it could go either way...but I think the boys at Sprint have been read the details to the castration clause in their employee contract regarding leaked information right now.

Verizon I think stands to benefit a bit by leaking information...spoil the party so to speak for Sprint.

I dunno just have that feeling about it. I'm sure others have an opposite feeling but I don't. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Hey, hate me all you want at least I'm honest about it. And I'm not going to fabricate some other speculation on the topic as to why, right?
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Did you learn that on Southpark?
    You'd be surprised what you can really learn from South Park. But no it was sarcasm or was it a spasm? Not sure. I'm leaning to sarcasm tho.

Ah, and speaking of avatars...nice one of your treo...I didn't know they made a wind-up edition. Does it still call Betty-Lou or Harriett to patch you through? Hehe just kidding.

I'm getting this sense that my avatar is unwelcome...there has been way too many jabs on it...guess I'll have to actually get creative now. Thanks for the input. Stay tuned for a new one.
    Last edited by xtant21; 05/03/2006 at 02:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    The main thing is that there is a 700P (Vzn or Sprint- at least there is one!)...
    Yeah that would be exciting news but we all kind of know that there is such an animal out there. I think even gharrod would agree on that. Whether or not it will ever end up in our hands is another topic and the one that I think keeps gharrod and Perry...well...parrying each other.
    Hey, hate me all you want at least I'm honest about it.
    No hate here, I was just curious. Your gut feeling makes sense. I hope you're right.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr
    No hate here, I was just curious. Your gut feeling makes sense. I hope you're right.
    I do too...I mean there are a lot of things that stand to reason...but when dealing with things like this...nothing is really reasonable. Like you said...hopefully my gut feeling is right and wasn't the burrito I had for lunch.
    Yeah that would be exciting news but we all kind of know that there is such an animal out there. I think even gharrod would agree on that. Whether or not it will ever end up in our hands is another topic and the one that I think keeps gharrod and Perry...well...parrying each other.
    I remember last fall when the first videos of the 700W came out on TC. Everyone jumped on the "they are fake bandwagon" but myself and a couple others. Everyone went out of their way to explain till they were blue in their faces how this can be faked. How Palm would never release a MS OS on a Treo. I held steadfast in my resolve that the videos were real. Now there are a few easily faked references to 700P's. Perry has double secret sources he believes (and I tend to lean to them being truthful also) but then Doom and others have sources who are things like Sprint high-level execs who claim they know nothing of a Palm based Treo ready for release anytime soon. I am not denying the possibility of the existence of a700P but I do my fact checking on the rumors because things get out of hand way to quickly in here.

A rumor appears in TC. Jimmie takes it to his "BLOG(yuck)" and then he emails everyone he has ever met to link to his site and then Engadget picks it up and then world tips on its axis for a moment. People salivte to the point they need sedatives and all for the opportuniy to read a rumor of a device they will shell out $679 for to get a little extra memory and EVDO. Yawn...

My fear for you all is that Palm is redying a stop-gap product which wil essentially be a fill in for the timeframe when the "REAL" Treo is released in 2007. The Treo everyone wants. The Treo everyone will like. The Treo you will again pay $679 for in a mere 10 more months.

Palm has been careful (until the 700W) to release the Treos (in the case of 600 and 650) at the time of year to get top dollar from people like us because we could ask for it for Christmas. Who is going to get a Treo for the 4th of July? Not me. So they are blowing the entire holiday rush. Ohhh, but if Palm is not releasing it as a consumer device then they are abandoning the consumer market and getting more entrenched in the corporate market (since June release is good for that). So are they saying they really don't care about the consumer market? If they release the 700P in June then it appears so. It appears most of the changes are styled to the commercial client base not the true power users.

There have been a lot of nasty rumors about me and my motives here. I will state quite plainly and openly I have no nickle in this dime. I own no Palm stock. I own no MS stock. I own 2 Macs and 2 PCs so I am not in bed with MS in any way. I own a 6700 and still to this day own a 650 I do not use. I will one day become a Treo user again if Palm has their act together. I only want the best, newest most cutting edge product out there which is what I will always have. Price is not the concern, quality is! Quality goes beyond the hood to the support, the reliability, the essence of the product and Palm has failed miserably in that effort over the last 3 years. Form factor has been great but that is now getting old.

Palm, are you listening??? I care not what OS is on my device. I want it to be something I can depend on so name it what you will give it to me for a fair price make it work as promised and I will be your biggest fan.

Sorry guys but I can not put my faith in the words of someone who stoppd at a cell phone kiosk at an empty mall on a Tuesday afternoon and BS's with a pimply teenager who told them they know a Treo700P was to be released in 3 weeks. Amazing how these youthful sorts know it before the captins of industry and technology do. We have only had those stories in the forum since November of last year. Don't believe me? Search and ye shall find.

Lastly and please read this carefully. I do NOT deny the existence (note I say that twice in this posting) of the 700P but I am EXTREMELY skeptical of the timing of the release, the specs which have been rumored (and taken as gospel) and the proported leaks whether planned or accidental.

I have made the offer before to all if they have some private information to share with me then do so in a PM and maybe you can convince me. To date no one has taken the invitation to do so. That tells me that it just doesn't exist.
    I understand your hesitation. It's just hard to see the strategy, without understanding what it is they might have in the pipeline.

It seems plausible that they could be releasing the 700P now because they are trying to aggressively increase their handheld marketshare and can't wait 'til the Christmas season. And heck, for all we know, they just might be doing it now to get us buying new Treos now ... when the Hollywood could be slated for an October/November release. Who knows?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmattyh
    I understand your hesitation. It's just hard to see the strategy, without understanding what it is they might have in the pipeline.

It seems plausible that they could be releasing the 700P now because they are trying to aggressively increase their handheld marketshare and can't wait 'til the Christmas season. And heck, for all we know, they just might be doing it now to get us buying new Treos now ... when the Hollywood could be slated for an October/November release. Who knows?
    Holywood is not a real product. http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=12170
    ...Ah, and speaking of avatars...nice one of your treo...I didn't know they made a wind-up edition. Does it still call Betty-Lou or Harriett to patch you through? Hehe just kidding...
    Sorry, that's a party line only, and you're not in that party (yet).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I agree with you gharrod...the sources that have been cited are not leap out at you credible. I too hold some skepticism as to whether or not I will be holding a 700p in hand anytime soon; however, I do think Perry has a reason for optimism in that usually these things (treo handset releases by carrier) happen in a succession. The next logical succession is Sprint and a Palm Treo to reiginite the Treo excitement that has started to wane since the intro of the 700w. bigmattyh might have a point in that if the supposed "hollywood" (which has been highly denied by anyone at Palm) is real it may be the show-stopper for the holiday season rush you mentioned. I can see a Cingular paying big bucks to Palm to have the top 'o the top in time for the holidays.

No matter how we slice it...I know we agree that a Palm OS device is out there with a 700 moniker on it...will it see the light of day for us...don't know. I also like your angle on the "real" treo coming out next year. I think this makes sense and that this year's Palm Treo would be a stop-gap for now. I'm also not overly impressed by what they are offering in this edition. A little more RAM and EV-DO is not a whole lot for me to pony up $599...I need more. I'd also like to know that the EV-DO radio would be firmware upgradeable to Rev A, at least.

Bottom line...I'm with both sides on this one. No attacks on anyone. I want to believe just like you want to (and Perry DOES). But I can't find it in me to just take what has been said as law. Until I can hold a Sprint 700p in my hand...it doesn't exist...although the pictures shown look cool. I can't wait for Perry to get his...maybe he can swing me into believing this thing is worth the upgrade price now...I don't think so...but I'd like to see what he has to say about it.

You're a good man, gharrod, and yes, sometimes you are taking a bad rap for people not reading longer and understanding you more...myself guilty at one time. So, until May 15th or whatever Perry has stated as release announcement day...let's keep the speculation brewing and everyone occupied and happy. It's all in good fun and it's nice to push each other to hope a little.