Page 23 of 67 FirstFirst ... 13181920212223242526272833 ... LastLast
  1.    #441  
    You know, this is all so sad and hilarious at the same time. We are living through a watershed time in Palm's history (Life and Death stuff) and we are dying to know what next week's episode of "As the Treo Turns" will bring and the only morsels of hope we have are being fed to us by a crazed fanatic in a Pink Padded Room.

How long we have labored here (6 months from the 700W announce?) is a testament to the depth and power of the Palm franchise. As I have said before -- the telling moment will not be with this release of a PalmOS Treo -- it will be with the next -- the Palm/Linux version. If that phoenix rises up and flys up from the ashes of the next year and a half -- the PalmOS lives on.

If not, there you have it, Mr. Bill.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/27/2006 at 05:29 PM.
    This kind of reminds me of where Apple stood in the late 90's and whether it would actually be able to recreate itself for the future if if it was going to dissappear. It seems quite amazing things can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by mymellowman
    This kind of reminds me of where Apple stood in the late 90's and whether it would actually be able to recreate itself for the future if if it was going to dissappear. It seems quite amazing things can happen.

Palm though, doesn't have Steve Jobs at the helm.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  4.    #444  
    Stay Tuned. Will the Phoenix fly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Palm though, doesn't have Steve Jobs at the helm.
    I'm sure we can find someone here who looks good in a black sweater. No one will know the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Stay Tuned. Will the Phoenix fly?
    Crash and burn. The only thing rising from the ashes will be Microsoft!
    Freedom of some speech in the US, through someone in the UK.
  7.    #447  
    The PalmOS will fly.

I have believed.

I do believe.

I will believe.

Palm/Linux Treo.

It will be!!
    Quote Originally Posted by CountBuggula
    ...Thank you for contacting Sprint together with Nextel. I will be happy to assist you regarding the Treo 700.

Currently, Treo 700 W is not being offered by Sprint. However, be assured that Sprint continuously strives to provide new products and services to our valued customers....

Whenever Sprint PCS will launch the phone we will inform all our customers through high profile promotion...
    Interesting. You queried on the 700P and she responded back on the 700W is not being offered by Sprint. I will step to the side and let Strauss make points with this one.

Cheers, Perry.
    No time to gloat or make points yet.

De ja vu all over again!!! What really caught my eye was the the line in the email I highlighted above. At first I thought I was hallucinating, but I swore that's the exact same wording we got with the release of the 600 - a "high profile promotion" This makes the response almost too real. A little searching and there it was in September 2003:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...file+promotion

Do a little further searching, and in October 2004 they were saying the same thing in emails about the 650!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...file+promotion

Man, that's just too weird.

Perry - get my Starbuck's card ready.
    Last edited by dstrauss; 04/27/2006 at 08:13 PM.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Personally, I heard (from a source inside sprint) that the 700p is all in sprint's hands right now. I and others have seen Palm reps with 700p's active on sprint, albiet they are very secretive about it. Sigh...wish I still had mine.

Until then, I have a working relationship with my A920 (or maybe A900 again in the next day or two) and my gf's old Zire 72 (which she offered me after I convinced her to get a treo on cingular ). Gotta say though, this little zire's pretty nice, 312MHz and bluetooth, which is all I want. I just miss the keybaord of the treo, but at least I have EVDO though my phone .

EDIT: I should add, I came to this combination after buying and selling 4 6700's. Each time I thought I could deal, thought I'd stick wtih it, the longest I did was 2 weeks, and then I just didn't want it anymore. I want PalmOS dammit!
  10.    #450  

42 Days
    Alright. I have spoken to one of the mighty four, and here is what he had to say. I will not reveal which one he is, as he got a little testy when I started asking so many questions, because he KNOWS me well enough to know that everything he said would make it back here. The following are approximations of text messages we blasted back and forth most of the day yesterday, me from my 650, he from his 700w on Sprint.
    DrDoom: So you haven't seen anything on a P? Because there's a lot on T/C saying its coming.
    MK:No. Sorry, but I have not. This thing is sweet though! You'll like it. *** gonna get you one?
    DrDoom: Dunno. Prolly, but it's NOT what I want. :-((
    MK:WHY??? Only bad thing's the screen.
    DrDoom: You've lost your flippin' mind! No threaded SMS??? Inferior one handed use? C'mon ****!!!
    MK: Well, SMS does suck by comp. Lemme call someone and see if I'm OOL (that's "we" speak for Out Of Loop folks) on a P.

Several hours pass.

MK:Busy?
    DrDoom:No. Slow day. WYFO??? (That's "we" speak for What Ya Find Out)
    MK: No P dude. Not from us. Not from anyone I know. I haven't seen a phone come to market since I left you that I had NO prior knowledge of. I think you're SOL. :-(

And there you have it. Not saying it's gospel, but out of all the contact's I've got, this one's been the MOST knowledgable in the past.

Damn it.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
    Alright. Emailed MK. Included link to pic. Said he'd get back to me. Here's hoping.
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  13.    #453  
    Ahhh, the plot thickens.

Something is very strange in Sprint land.

What Shadomite saw.. . . . .
    What Merlyn had. . . . .
    nfcer's document real and confirmed.. . . . .
    Other sources saying "P" and NO "W" and reconfirming every 2-3 weeks. . . .
    The pics that have been posted. . . . . . .
    What a beta tester has told me in the last 2 weeks. . . . . .
    What a network tester has told me this week. . . . .

HANG IN THERE DOOM !!!

You will have your Sprint 700P during the first week in JUNE (2006, gharrod).

If this is not true -- you will all miss on TC -- for I will have died from total and utter disbelief. I do not know how to reconcile these opposing sets of data, other than to say the 700P will be here -- and if your guy has a 700W in his hand -- then we got two coming.

(What did he say about the timing of when he sees a product? Is he saying 700W for June?)

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 04/28/2006 at 08:21 AM.
    I should have gotten in on the Starbuck's bet. But they don't have Jamaican Blue coffe anyhow so oh well. Waiting for Perry to "Carl Rove it" and find a backout strategy on the June 9th date. I promise not to g(l)oat to badly.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    As I have said before -- the telling moment will not be with this release of a PalmOS Treo -- it will be with the next -- the Palm/Linux version. If that phoenix rises up and flys up from the ashes of the next year and a half -- the PalmOS lives on.

If not, there you have it, Mr. Bill.

Cheers, Perry.
    I hope this isn't really too much off topic but since we are on OSs right now...

Access has put some decent stuff on the market in the past...an OS might be new territory for them though. It will be interesting to see (if they do release PalmOS based on Linux) how it will compare to WM. The current PalmOS is based off of AMX which if I remember is a real time OS. Windows and Linux are not...you can overlay it but it really isn't true real time. It will be interesting to see if the speed and snappiness we've loved with PalmOS can continue under Linux. If not, it may be a tougher decision to stay with what will now be a completely new hybrid. I hope Access has their act together on this one and has thought this through. I'll say it again...it would/will be a crying shame to lose PalmOS. It has it's place and Windows has it's place...trying to form factor Windows into a mobile device so far hasn't worked IMHO. Light, speedy, fast and small is what you need on the road...not a pig.

Ok, beat me up everyone...
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity...lick it once and you suck forever!
  16.    #456  
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I should have gotten in on the Starbuck's bet. But they don't have Jamaican Blue coffe anyhow so oh well. Waiting for Perry to "Carl Rove it" and find a backout strategy on the June 9th date. I promise not to g(l)oat to badly.
    I still believe g-man.

Gift card of your choice, Sprint Treo 700P by June 9th.

Cheers, Perry.

I still believe g-man.

Gift card of your choice, Sprint Treo 700P by June 9th.

Cheers, Perry.

Perry - why are you dodging post #448? You know as well as I do that the catch phrase of "through high profile promotion" is what they've used before all the previous Treo launches; that email, unsolicited, mentioned 700W, and now Doom's contact says no way to a 700P...

You better go get in line at Starbuck's - I wouldn't want you to be late delivering my card...
  18.    #458  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Perry - why are you dodging post #448? You know as well as I do that the catch phrase of "through high profile promotion" is what they've used before all the previous Treo launches; that email, unsolicited, mentioned 700W, and now Doom's contact says no way to a 700P...

You better go get in line at Starbuck's - I wouldn't want you to be late delivering my card...
    LOL

Hi D!

Fat Lady has not Sung.
    It ain't over, until it's over.
    Until Ed C. says "Here is the 700W for Sprint, the 700P is vaporware."
    I will believe. I am a rock.

June 9th.
    I will experience the joy of having believed and having been right.

(Geez -- I promised myself I would not get into the "I told you so" crap, and you made me go and do it! Shame on you D!)

Cheers, Perry.
    (Geez -- I promised myself I would not get into the "I told you so" crap, and you made me go and do it! Shame on you D!)

Cheers, Perry.
    You were not baited...that is fear I smell...you know it and I know...the signs are there...the Starbuck's card is mine...
  20.    #460  
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    You were not baited...that is fear I smell...you know it and I know...the signs are there...the Starbuck's card is mine...
    Did you have a little tequilla in you Starbucks this morn?