1.    #1  
    I just dumped Norton AV because it's a big resource hog and I don't want McAfee for the same reason. I've been using Zone Alarm Firewall for years and am happy with it. It also offers an anti-virus program and I was wondering how good it is. But I have also been looking at eTrust. I ended up downloading a trial of Kapersky anti-virus because some are claiming all it's programs are the best world-wide.

If anyone has experience with any of these 3, what do you think? The only thing I don't need to know about is ZA Firewall. I'm interested in experiences with Kapersky AV and firewall, and also eTrust AV and firewall. And ZA AV.

Thanks!

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Think "NOD32"

My friend is an IT manager and swears by it.
    I 'think' E-trust makes the anti-virus program that comes with Zone Alarm. I've heard it's actually a very good program (and uses a LOT less resources than McAfee or Norton). I'm a big fan of Zone Alarm Pro, because it blocks all suspicious email attachments. Since I don't visit any suspicious websites, I haven't actually needed a antivirus program.........
    I use the ZA AV...very pleased with it.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    ZA has a great product but I use F-Prot which is costing me $3 per seat for 50 seats. It has a very small footprint, steals miniscule CPU cycles and has caught stuff that blows by both McAfee and Norton. In our office we had a mix of several figuring what got by one wouldn't get by them all and when AnnaK made the rounds for example, all the Norton stuff got infected while F-Prot stayed fancy free....free trial fro 30 days here:

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/win/

If ya play with multiple OS's, it come in real handy in that it runs on Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, 2003, Windows XP, Liniux, DOS, Solaris, BSD and a few others.

The Home User license ($29) for F-Prot Antivirus for Windows covers up to 5 computers in the user's home.....at under $6 per seat that's hard to beat. Price includes one year of free tech support and version upgrades....dat files free forever.
    Go to the source of AV tests

http://www.virusbtn.com/index

Free registration gets you access to their monthly tests. This is one of the most respected sites for such reviews.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    I 'think' E-trust makes the anti-virus program that comes with Zone Alarm. I've heard it's actually a very good program (and uses a LOT less resources than McAfee or Norton). I'm a big fan of Zone Alarm Pro, because it blocks all suspicious email attachments. Since I don't visit any suspicious websites, I haven't actually needed a antivirus program.........
    You ALWAYS need AV protection. It is not that hard to accidentally download something.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the responses! I'm still looking to hear from those who use Kapersky and eTrust, both AV and firewall. And anymore ZA AV fans?

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    ZA has a great product but I use F-Prot which is costing me $3 per seat for 50 seats. It has a very small footprint, steals miniscule CPU cycles and has caught stuff that blows by both McAfee and Norton. In our office we had a mix of several figuring what got by one wouldn't get by them all and when AnnaK made the rounds for example, all the Norton stuff got infected while F-Prot stayed fancy free....free trial fro 30 days here:

http://www.f-prot.com/products/home_use/win/

If ya play with multiple OS's, it come in real handy in that it runs on Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, 2003, Windows XP, Liniux, DOS, Solaris, BSD and a few others.

The Home User license ($29) for F-Prot Antivirus for Windows covers up to 5 computers in the user's home.....at under $6 per seat that's hard to beat. Price includes one year of free tech support and version upgrades....dat files free forever.
    I will be looking at this trial next. Kapersky seems OK too though. Anyone ever compare the 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I will be looking at this trial next. Kapersky seems OK too though. Anyone ever compare the 2?
    As redbelt said above, try NOD32. Very good, and lightweight for an AV program. I only run it about once a week or so, but when I tried it in background mode, it was very easy on resources.

Software firewalls I don't even bother with.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  11.    #11  
    Ok, that will be the next trial after F-stop. But I have to say Kapersky doesn't seem to be doing a bad job. I'm surprised no one is using this besides me.

I dumped Norton after years of use and switched to ZoneAlarm (free) and AVG antivirus (free) and have had no problems and been very happy with them. Not resource hogs, I can control them.

The new PC came with McAfee 2006. Gave it a trial run. Also a huge resource hog. Plus, after every update (automatic), it had to phone home to "verify". There was no way to turn that off or stop it. And if McAfee's servers are busy, it just hangs and none of the features work until it verifies.

So, in the middle of responding to a very nice Lady in a very nice forum, such as this, some window would pop up which had to be clicked, which opened a new tab in Firefox, where I had to put in a username/password. If it went through, fine. If not, close everything, reboot, wait to be prompted to verify AGAIN, and hope for the best.
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  13.    #13  
    Hogging the system is one reason why I will not use McAfee or Norton ever again.