Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally Posted by ScaryHumor

As an inner-city educator, I am very interested in your claims. But I can not find nothing to back your statements.

You're excuse of being "too lazy" to look it up yourself makes it appear that you are unable provide any credible information.

Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    You're kidding right?
    Not even a little. Nothing this man has said is based in any facts I can find. I am not disputing there are differences in educational funding, which has already been covered quite well by hoovs.
    I am disputing blaze's math.
    Even his "think tank" document does not support him.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

Quote Originally Posted by ScaryHumor
    Originally Posted by ScaryHumor

As an inner-city educator, I am very interested in your claims. But I can not find nothing to back your statements.

You're excuse of being "too lazy" to look it up yourself makes it appear that you are unable provide any credible information.

Not even a little. Nothing this man has said is based in any facts I can find. I am not disputing there are differences in educational funding, which has already been covered quite well by hoovs.
    I am disputing blaze's math.
    Even his "think tank" document does not support him.
    I wasn't referring to the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I wasn't referring to the argument.

It's a good thing I don't teach grammar.
    I find it sad/odd that people ask to be thanked. How genuine is it when you have to ask? It's like forcing your kid to call Grandma, to thank her for the new underwear she sent for their birthday.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kind of scary. I've wondered where this started and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus, and a clown killed my dad.
    -Jack Handy, SNL-

hoovs, you would argue that the sky is purple

Here in the united states, we give fewer education dollars to minority children than we do to white children.

Period.

It is very simple.

6 thousand for every 7 thousand

How much is the education of a dark child worth? Apparently 1 out of 3 is way to litte for you. 6 dark dollars for every 7 white dollars more comfortable for you? Why not just make it Three Fifths?

And all this is despite the fact that the minority children are in greater need of the dollars, and despite the fact that the dollars they do get often need to be spent on spent in areas such as supplies, breakfast, uniforms, & after school programs that richer schools dont have to worry about.

And when these children reach college age, who will be the first one to file a lawsuit if the student's college takes in to consideration, that he was given Six Sevenths of an education.

It does not surprise me that this is not important to you, in fact, im surprised you are not on a rant that the state should not be redistributing the educational dollars at all.

Sorry for the math Humor, i attended the poorest public school in the county. In fact, how old are you? I think you were my grammar teacher.
    Blaze,

On a positive note, at least you've dropped the 3-1 myth. But can we at least agree to leave the personal attacks and empty emotionalism out of this? I'll just respond with a couple of questions:

1) Why do you ignore all of my sources?
    2) What is the title of the table you presented?
    3) Where is the table presenting the spending adjusted with federal dollars?
    4) Why do you ignore the fact that in your own source many states actually spend more per student in minority districts?

Okay, that was more than a couple. I'd love to hear the answers but, honestly, I'm not holding my breath.
    All this talk about school funding. But if this is what we're paying for then I want my money back:

Tucson High School held a little student assembly with a special guest speaker. I wonder how many parents know that one of the themes of the speaker was going to be "Republicans hate latinos". Or how many knew she was going to tell their children "we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" as the kids who may or may not even have been from that school chanted along. When these parents sent their kids off to school that day do you think they wanted their kids to learn English, History and math or did they want them to learn Leftist marching chants? Or hear how American policy was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Central Americans? That gay marriage should be legal? Or that good kids would be going out getting people to vote Democrat?

You can hear this at: http://quill.tusd.k12.az.us/doloreshuertaaddress

Is this appropriate for a high school assembly? Is this what you send your kids to school for? Is this what you pay taxes for?

EDIT: You can listen to the whole awful thing (beginning at 9:20 on the above link) or you can fast forward to 14:40 to hear the "Republicans hate latinos" remark.
    Last edited by hoovs; 04/14/2006 at 12:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    All this talk about school funding. But if this is what we're paying for then I want my money back:

Tucson High School held a little student assembly with a special guest speaker. I wonder how many parents know that one of the themes of the speaker was going to be "Republicans hate latinos". Or how many knew she was going to tell their children "we didn't cross the border, the border crossed us" as the kids who may or may not even have been from that school chanted along. When these parents sent their kids off to school that day do you think they wanted their kids to learn English, History and math or did they want them to learn Leftist marching chants? Or hear how American policy was responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of Central Americans? That gay marriage should be legal? Or that good kids would be going out getting people to vote Democrat?

You can hear this at: http://quill.tusd.k12.az.us/doloreshuertaaddress

Is this appropriate for a high school assembly? Is this what you send your kids to school for? Is this what you pay taxes for?

EDIT: You can listen to the whole awful thing (beginning at 9:20 on the above link) or you can fast forward to 14:40 to hear the "Republicans hate latinos" remark.
    Lol, it's like the dance marathon approach. Just keep rambling on until everybody get's tired and bored and gives up.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Lol, it's like the dance marathon approach. Just keep rambling on until everybody get's tired and bored and gives up.
    Well then stop the racism garbage.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Lol, of course. I'm the racist for voulunteering my time at inner city schools, and suggesting that radical idea that they could use more funding. Next time i see my class of 5th & 6th grade children of migrant workers, I will tell them that cardio said I can't come back because I have to stop being a racist.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Lol, of course. I'm the racist for voulunteering my time at inner city schools, and suggesting that radical idea that they could use more funding. Next time i see my class of 5th & 6th grade children of migrant workers, I will tell them that cardio said I can't come back because I have to stop being a racist.
    Spin, spin, spin

How about your statement, which you have failed to back up in any manner by the way, of this mysterious 3-1 ratio of funding.

Just a question, these migrant workers in the inner city, exactly what is they do in the inner city. I work with the kids from the migrant farm workers in the area I live, but it sure is not inner city.
    Tired? You make it sound as though you even attempted to address any of my points. Like I said, I'm not holding my breath for an answer but it would be nice.
    You assume racism only works in one direction.
    What about this one Blaze?

Blaze,

On a positive note, at least you've dropped the 3-1 myth. But can we at least agree to leave the personal attacks and empty emotionalism out of this? I'll just respond with a couple of questions:

1) Why do you ignore all of my sources?
    2) What is the title of the table you presented?
    3) Where is the table presenting the spending adjusted with federal dollars?
    4) Why do you ignore the fact that in your own source many states actually spend more per student in minority districts?

Okay, that was more than a couple. I'd love to hear the answers but, honestly, I'm not holding my breath.
    You assume racism only works in one direction.
    Yeah, you win hoovs, the minorities are the ones discriminating against us dwindling white people. We have to band together and fight it. Perhaps we should form some sort of organization. What should we call ourselves?
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Just a question, these migrant workers in the inner city, exactly what is they do in the inner city. I work with the kids from the migrant farm workers in the area I live, but it sure is not inner city.
    There are six community centers throughout the city. At the Ivey Lane center, 100% of my students are black american, some of their parents have lived there for generations, more toward the outskirts of the city is another center where all but one of my students is the child of a Mexican Migrant worker. Their grades (and their attention span) suffer because they never stay in one place. They are a captive audience because the program is after school and the parents treat it like free day care. Most of them dont pay attention. I focus on the few that do because i KNOW i can teach them a skill that help them. As I said before, the dollars often spent in low income & minority schools are not spent on science, math, & computer labs, but on just leveling the playing field.
    Yeah, you win hoovs, the minorities are the ones discriminating against us dwindling white people. We have to band together and fight it. Perhaps we should form some sort of organization. What should we call ourselves?
    I don't know what else to say, blaze. If you won't address any of my points then we can't have a conversation. Take care.
    Whew, thank god.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Yeah, you win hoovs, the minorities are the ones discriminating against us dwindling white people. We have to band together and fight it. Perhaps we should form some sort of organization. What should we call ourselves? There are six community centers throughout the city. At the Ivey Lane center, 100% of my students are black american, some of their parents have lived there for generations, more toward the outskirts of the city is another center where all but one of my students is the child of a Mexican Migrant worker. Their grades (and their attention span) suffer because they never stay in one place. They are a captive audience because the program is after school and the parents treat it like free day care. Most of them dont pay attention. I focus on the few that do because i KNOW i can teach them a skill that help them. As I said before, the dollars often spent in low income & minority schools are not spent on science, math, & computer labs, but on just leveling the playing field.
    Oh a community center, not a public school.

OK, you said inner city school, so silly me thought you meant an inner city school.
    I know this is a little off topic, but..........I taught At-Risk Students for quite a number of years in a dedicated facility in a program that was set up basically to give those students their last chance for a public education (which accepted kids from 4 school districts), due to drugs, gang membership, anger management, whole range of abuses, etc.... We have quite a large Mexican community in our area where I taught, but found it was not dominated by any one race in our geo area.

During the course of our work with these students, we spent as much time with the parents as we could. There is one common thread that with VERY few exceptions seem to span all the students we had. It was the one common cause that over shadowed any other common similarities like race, economic status, which side of the tracks they came from, etc.... And that is family issues, whether that is parent abandonment, drug addicted parents, abusive parents, dysfunctional families, single parent situations, etc.....

Now, with that said....most (but not all) of the families were from the lower income bracket with a fair shake from the middle class as well. But from extensive interviews, and time spent with families, interview siblings and parents, the number one reason for most of the families economic situations had nothing to do with race or what address they had but with the consequences of choices they (the parents) have made. These ranged from the basics as it is easier to be on welfare than to work (i.e. professional welfare drawers), dependence on drugs and alcohol, simply lazy, becoming pregnant at 14-16 years old and dropping out of school, totally self absorbed with their own wants / needs to the exclusive of the children, etc....

Having worked in that field for so long I was often amazed at how many people, organization, studies, etc... totally ignored the personal choices that put families in their current economic situation and focused only on ethnicity. I am in no way saying there is not ethnic disparity, but that I have seen cases and studies that seem to USE the ethnic orientation as the reason (or excuse) for the challenges they are trying to show and ignore all other aspects of why and exclude any other possibility of causes.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 04/17/2006 at 01:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Oh a community center, not a public school.

OK, you said inner city school, so silly me thought you meant an inner city school.
    Yeah, silly me. When he said 3-1, I thought he meant 3-1.
    Good points, Hobbes. But you're going to have a tough row to hoe if you're trying to push the 'personal responsibility' angle. We're done with that. We've failed. The State needs to take control now.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast