Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1.    #1  
    Read About It

    If all goes as planned, poor people will be offered free or heavily subsidized coverage; those who can afford insurance but refuse to get it will face increasing tax penalties until they obtain coverage; and those already insured will see a modest drop in their premiums.
    Individuals deemed able but unwilling to purchase health care could face fines of more than $1,000 a year by the state if they don't get insurance.
  2.    #2  
    Summary of the Legislation

    Beginning in July 2007, Massachusetts residents will be required to have health insurance. Residents will confirm that they have health insurance coverage on their state income tax forms filed in 2008. Coverage will be verified through a database of insurance coverage for all individuals. The Department of Revenue will enforce this provision with financial penalties beginning with a loss of the personal exemption for tax year 2007 and then increasing to a portion of what an individual would have paid toward an affordable premium for subsequent years.
  3. #3  
    From the article:

    The cost was put at $316 million in the first year, and more than a $1 billion by the third year, with much of that money coming from federal reimbursements and existing state spending, officials said.
    Nice.

    I can hear it now: "We're doing it for your own good!"
  4. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #4  
    This is going to backfire. People don't like mandates, especially those that would cost them more cash. I think we will see an exodus of businesses from the state since they're footing most of the bill.
  5. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    This is going to backfire. People don't like mandates, especially those that would cost them more cash. I think we will see an exodus of businesses from the state since they're footing most of the bill.
    I think you are wrong. I think you are going to see just the opposite. Imagine if you are a large corp, and there is a state that will cover your employee's health costs. Would you move your business there? I would. Think of the savings per year for businesses.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I think you are wrong. I think you are going to see just the opposite. Imagine if you are a large corp, and there is a state that will cover your employee's health costs. Would you move your business there? I would. Think of the savings per year for businesses.
    It may still back-fire, but for a different reason. Companies may drop their current coverage and opt to simply pay the flat fee per employee.
  7. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I think you are wrong. I think you are going to see just the opposite. Imagine if you are a large corp, and there is a state that will cover your employee's health costs. Would you move your business there? I would. Think of the savings per year for businesses.
    Ideally, it would be true if all business owners are concerned about their employees. What about those businesses that are already operating there and haven't been paying insurance for their employees? These businesses will start looking at other states to move their business just to avoid the jump in costs.
  8.    #8  
    The worst part is, if you opt to tend to your medical expenses personally, you will be penalized at the rate your coverage would cost.

    In other words, you are going to pay one way or the other. However, you have the choice as to whether your share gets you coverege.

    Liberty? Personal Responsiblity?
  9. #9  
    I have reservations about this.... I know this is a compromise betwee the Dems and the Rep. Gov on this... but it's still a mandate- something Republicans usually are not for. The comparisons to auto insurance ignore a difference. You can choose to not have auto coverage, and therefore choose to not drive. You can't choose to not pay the health insurance and therefore choose to not live (suicide is not an option).

    Interesting that they will be looking at a database of "Insurance Coverage"... but that leaves all those out who save money by eliminating the insurance middleman by having some other type of coverage that is not called "Insurance".

    Examples:

    Some are so rich they can pay the most expensive surgury fees out of their pocket change. They'd still need this coverage.

    Some join faith groups that take care of their own communities medical bills. I heard of one where any medical expenses are shared with a group who prays for, and helps pay for, the ill or injured. It's voluntary, yet the bills still get paid.

    Some companies (I'm in one) do not see any logic in helping to maintain expensive insurance companies overhead. They have an accounting department that pays the wages, the electric bill, rent, etc.- so they can just as easily cut a check to pay all, or a part of, their employees medical expenses. Until I married and joined my wife's traditional insurance plan thru her job, I would have been considered "Uninsured", yet I was "covered"- just not by traditional insurance.

    These mandates- like the Wal-Mart bill or Son of Wal-mart bill in Maryland, do not consider other alternatives than the insurance companies.
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  10. #10  
    What's next.... mandatory insurance against libel or slander suits.. Pay it or you will not be permitted to speak. What is the premium cost of "Free" speech nowadays?
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  11. #11  
    What's next... Pay insurance to protect yourself from sexual assault suits, or we will take away your right (and the equioment you need to) do the deed?

    We already make doctors pay malpractice insurance, or they can't practice medicine.

    Wow- the way this is going- only the Ins. companies will make money.... and the lawyers!
    "Everybody Palm!"

    Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
  12. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    The worst part is, if you opt to tend to your medical expenses personally, you will be penalized at the rate your coverage would cost.

    In other words, you are going to pay one way or the other. However, you have the choice as to whether your share gets you coverege.

    Liberty? Personal Responsiblity?
    The other choice is to move to another state, which is what I predict will happen. Any business or individual that is negatively affected by this bill will relocate and take with them the jobs that they've created. Meanwhile, people who are below the poverty line will be attracted to the state. Are they going to find jobs? They may, but given the massive influx of illegal immigrants who are willing to work for pennies on the dollar, large corporations wouldn't want to hire someone and have to pay insurance for them because that would hurt their bottom line.
    Last edited by naivete; 04/06/2006 at 11:08 AM.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    I think you are wrong. I think you are going to see just the opposite. Imagine if you are a large corp, and there is a state that will cover your employee's health costs. Would you move your business there? I would. Think of the savings per year for businesses.
    Yeah, you'll move your business to MA while you wourself live in a different state because the taxes in MA are too high. What happens when all of your business owner or CEO buddies do the same? There will be no rich to tax to death anymore. Then when you find out the cost of paying taxes in MA outweighs the offset cost of insurance you'll move your business out too.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Yeah, you'll move your business to MA while you wourself live in a different state because the taxes in MA are too high. What happens when all of your business owner or CEO buddies do the same? There will be no rich to tax to death anymore. Then when you find out the cost of paying taxes in MA outweighs the offset cost of insurance you'll move your business out too.
    However, if all the other state pass this, too, there will be no place to go.

    Just hold out your hand, have your national health ID chip implanted, and report to assimilation.
  15. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1
    ...These mandates- like the Wal-Mart bill or Son of Wal-mart bill in Maryland, do not consider other alternatives than the insurance companies.
    Well, until there's a ban on lobbying in Congress, it would be almost impossible to pass any legislation without the insurance companies getting paid, because the insurance lobby will fight any legislation that leaves them out of the picture.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    However, if all the other state pass this, too, there will be no place to go.

    Just hold out your hand, have your national health ID chip implanted, and report to assimilation.
    And remember, they're doing this for our own good. We need to be saved from ourselves.
  17. naivete's Avatar
    Posts
    636 Posts
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    However, if all the other state pass this, too, there will be no place to go.
    I doubt this will happen. Even if that does happen, there will always be some states that will create exemptions just to attract employers.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    I doubt this will happen. Even if that does happen, there will always be some states that will create exemptions just to attract employers.
    Unless Congress decides to withhold funds to states that don't comply (as is done with Transportation and Education funding).
  19. #19  
    What?!?! Healthcare for everyone? This is an outrage!! How can we put a stop to this?
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    What?!?! Healthcare for everyone? This is an outrage!! How can we put a stop to this?
    Why do you want to stop it? I would love for everyone to have some sort of healthcare insurance (whether it be through an insurance company or a bond or some other method). Isn't that a good thing?

    Of course your sarcasm was noted. But you seemed to want to imply that some people don't want everyone to have healthcare.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions