Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Unlike Palm, Apple actually listens to the little guy.

Say Goodbye to Virtual PC!
    This is the coolest thing I've seen in a long long time:
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Yes. This makes a PC unattractive.
    Here we thought Windoze was going to rule the world. It turns out Apple is going to do it by co-opting MS.
    Read this on the way in and I don't understand the advantage. I thought the reason people overpaid for Apple hardware was to be able to use their superior OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Read this on the way in and I don't understand the advantage. I thought the reason people overpaid for Apple hardware was to be able to use their superior OS?
    Back in the day, this was true for sure, and today I'm sure there are some people that still do. However, with the implementation of many PC standard technologies (Intel, IDE, USB [though this could be argued to be a Mac standard as the iMac really drove it forward when they ditched the floppy]) the design of Macs has really come to symbolize all that is wrong with PCs. The 12" powerbook is, in my opinion, the best computer in the world. The new iMac with Intel gets fantastic reviews from everyone. Apple makes great hardware and great software, but they charge for it.

Is the hardware good enough for someone to pay $500 more for it (Mac premium plus $200 for a copy of Windows XP). I don't know. But it will be interesting!

Any way you slice it, this is a huge move for Apple. They just jumped in the ring with Dell.
    I think they need a bit more detail on the install procedure. In dual booting Windows OS's, I always stick the OS's on separate partitions hiddden from one another. This is a bit more complicated in that you'd also want Mac programs and Windows programs hidden from one another and only your data partition visible to both. Another ole trick for dual booters was a shared swap file partition....wonder how / if this could be set up.
    There is also a nich market of customers who need both OS, either by choice or due to work. There are also those MAC diehards that realize that they still need a WIN machine at times to be a part of the modern world in several situations. A dual MAC & Win machine will be very attractive to many.

As for me....the extra premium could be saved or spent on just adding to whatever WIN system I am going to buy.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I think they need a bit more detail on the install procedure. In dual booting Windows OS's, I always stick the OS's on separate partitions hiddden from one another. This is a bit more complicated in that you'd also want Mac programs and Windows programs hidden from one another and only your data partition visible to both. Another ole trick for dual booters was a shared swap file partition....wonder how / if this could be set up.
    The installation guide did say this:

"If you format the partition using the NTFS file system, you will not be able to write or save files to the Windows volume from Mac OS X.

FAT—Provides better compatibility.
    Allows you to read and write files on the Windows volume from Mac OS X. This option is available only if the Windows partition you created in Step 2 is 32 GB or smaller."

http://images.apple.com/macosx/bootc...etup_Guide.pdf
    <merged>

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by naivete
    FAT—Provides better compatibility.
    I assume we talking FAT32 .....but still the only thing I use FAT32 for is swap file partitions.
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    I assume we talking FAT32 .....but still the only thing I use FAT32 for is swap file partitions.
    Probably so, since FAT16 has a 2GB limit. Is there an advantage to using FAT32 for swap files?
    this actually maybe bigger than the consensus thinks.

I bought a new desktop this past weekend, and had I waited and known about this Apple sanctioned dual booting hack, I probably would have gotten a core duo mini.

I'm someone who has always had a secret loathing for the Apple cult -- over charging for slow oh so cool single mouse buttoned hardware --

I've secretly hated the smug arrogant little twitts who preen with pretty mac machines, their pose of creative superiority making me want to retch.

if some 3rd party writes a very simple, safe, and free partitioning tool that even windoze dummies could feel comfortable using, Apple's market share will grow.

even I would get one eventually...
    755P Sprint SERO (upgraded from unlocked GSM 650 on T-Mobile)
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    The Boot Camp instructions seemed fairly straight forward. So far, Walt Mossberg at WSJ gave it a thumbs up while others are reporting BSOD's.
    I'm giving it a Thumbs up, but i have gotten one BSOD... very strange seeing it on a Mac... Seeing XP installing on a MacBook was very erie too...

Is wicked fast though! I want my own!! (i have a work one for right now.)

Timmay
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    I'm giving it a Thumbs up, but i have gotten one BSOD... very strange seeing it on a Mac... Seeing XP installing on a MacBook was very erie too...

Is wicked fast though! I want my own!! (i have a work one for right now.)

Timmay
    I want one, too!
    Last edited by naivete; 04/06/2006 at 09:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shopharim
    Here we thought Windoze was going to rule the world. It turns out Apple is going to do it by co-opting MS.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigredgpk
    but i have gotten one BSOD... very strange seeing it on a Mac...
    If shopharim's prediction comes true, you will have to get used to it. Stability of software has an inverse relationship to complexity of software. Wait until you see Apple adapting OSX for every possilbe combination of 3rd party hardware, and not just fine tuning to the one set they support.
    This is interesting because I use Snapstream software to run my PVR at home. I've always thought a Mac Mini would be a great "dummy" device to play my videos in other rooms (well, truth be told, I only have one other room in my apartment that would handle a TV)... Now I can!
    I agree that Apple is going to gain some serious market share with this move.

When they first announced the switch to Intel, there was some talk about how the new Intel chips would allow Macs to run both OSes simultaneously - not just dual boot - so you could hot-switch back and forth. If that happens, this loyal Dell user will buy a Mac next...
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    A third-party is now offering a similar solution.

http://www.parallels.com/en/products/workstation/mac/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast