Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    640 Global Posts
    Latest testing update from Engadget:

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    Boot Camp can load Vista. Or at least the Vista installer. Marc Orchant at ZDNet is one of those using a borrowed MacBookPro, and he was able to load the Vista installer with no problem. Alas, his lender insisted on doing a full backup before allowing Orchant to go any further, so we have yet to see whether a full Vista install is possible -- though we remain optimistic.

Boot Camp can load Linux. Or at least a Linux installer. Torifile at applenova.com also got cold feet, and aborted an Ubuntu install after confirming that the setup loaded and was able to recognize a keyboard and other hardware.

International editions of Windows will work with Boot Camp. This should come as no surprise, but with a beta product that's designed to do something that isn't supposed to work, you never know. But the PC Watch team in Japan wasted no time and installed the Japanese version of XP Pro without a hitch.

Boot Camp can load Windows XP Media Center Edition. Now the Mac mini really is a media PC!

Third parties are already filling in some of the gaps. With a basic Boot Camp setup, you can't access your Mac OS X partition from your Windows XP partition. However, MediaFour's MacDrive software solves that problem. Now you can boot into Windows and read and write to your Mac partition, which could allow you to have common settings files for some cross-platform apps. Whether or not it will also allow you to share your iTunes library between partitions remains to be seen.

You can boot from external drives, even though Boot Camp's installer won't allow you to set it up. Actually, that may not be true. However, you can create external boot disks using narf and blanka's boot manager (see, there's still a use for it!). And we're pretty confident that someone will find a way to do so within Boot Camp as well very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    I agree that Apple is going to gain some serious market share with this move.

When they first announced the switch to Intel, there was some talk about how the new Intel chips would allow Macs to run both OSes simultaneously - not just dual boot - so you could hot-switch back and forth. If that happens, this loyal Dell user will buy a Mac next...
    Damn
    A hot switch will make me move for sure.
    I saw a video of MACOS being installed on a regular pc, anyone know how to do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt
    Damn
    I saw a video of MACOS being installed on a regular pc, anyone know how to do that?
    Yeah, you can "aquire" a hacked OS X installer DVD and it'll install onto some PC's. Check out OSX86 Project for more information.

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by redbelt
    The Parallels product that Naivete linked comes very close to that. Since both OSes run on Intel, there's no emulation necessary as there is on VirtualPC. So Windows would run at near full-speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim
    The Parallels product that Naivete linked comes very close to that. Since both OSes run on Intel, there's no emulation necessary as there is on VirtualPC. So Windows would run at near full-speed.
    Parallels is sooooo much better then VirtualPC or Q. Though the mouse is strange in Parallels, i hope this is improved in future releases.

The missing link (though you can buy more software to fix this) is being able to access your Mac HDD from the emulation. You could mount it as a network drive, but that is not perfect yet...

We are almost there!

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12