1.    #1  
    A 40 min interview of Tom Friedman. Apologies to those with short attention span and those looking for sound-bites.

--------------------------------

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=5311748

Fresh Air from WHYY, March 30, 2006 The most frightening thing the United States could do to Iran, short of attacking it, is to leave Iraq, says New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman. The second most frightening thing for Iran, he says, would be a U.S. success in Iraq.

Friedman has written a new book about globalization, The World is Flat: A Brief History of the Twenty-first Century. His previous book on the subject is The Lexus and the Olive Tree. He won a Pulitzer Prize in 2002 for his work. More recently, his columns have covered the Bush administration's tax cuts, the situation in Iran, and the Dubai Ports deal.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I usually enjoy listening to the guy. He's very knowledgeable about the middle east, and he usually maintains a somewhat objective view of politics.

He makes it clear that the environmental movement is a personal issue for him and he's offended by being snubbed by the administration over this. Then he ends this interview by rooting for Iran, hoping that Iran defies the US and stokes a nuclear crisis - just so oil prices will double, his pet cause will get a boost in the US, and **** Cheney will be taken down a peg. Liberals often flippantly take absurd positions like this (and then take offense when they're called unpatriotic), but I didn't expect this from Tom Friedman. Very disappointed.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, that sounded strange. I think he was carried away with his histrionics, trying to impress Terry Gross. He wouldn't have written that in his column. I don't think he really wants all that to happen.

Who knows .....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A