1.    #1  
    3rd party vendors have released patches to MSIE advising their clients not to wait until April 11th when MS is releasinga patch. I already had to clean one machine after such an infection and invested 18 hours in the effort.

The story and links to the patches are here:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03...ches_released/

In the instance I am familiar with, the site says that you can't view the page in Mozilla / Firefox / Opera and to use MSIE....once you do, you get nailed.

A "zero-day" therat a vulnerability that's exploited immediately after its discovery and the AV / malware prevention vendors have had 0 days to get updated dat files out.

http://www.computerworld.com/securit...00.html?f=x583
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Thanks for the info.
    I can't believe how many people still use IE...and how many sites make it a "requirement".
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    I had that patch a long time ago.
    I can't believe how many people still use IE...and how many sites make it a "requirement".
    IE hasnt been my default browser in almost 3 years.
  6.    #6  
    Well problem is most office sites I visit have switched but since MS hardcoded IE into Windoze, it's "still there" for most people unles they have used litepc to cut it out. And it's easy for malicious site owners to "see" what browser you are using and put up a phone message and say that that free Battlefield2 expansion pak can only be downloaded with MSIE. So the unsuspecting load it and get zapped. I still have IE on some machines as otherwise Quickbooks and AutoCAD won't install.

here's a slew of good articles.

http://www.eweek.com/category2/0,1874,1744082,00.asp

But this is the one that best addresses the problem

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1943473,00.asp

More here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110742
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Well problem is most office sites I visit have switched but since MS hardcoded IE into Windoze, it's "still there" for most people unles they have used litepc to cut it out. And it's easy for malicious site owners to "see" what browser you are using and put up a phone message and say that that free Battlefield2 expansion pak can only be downloaded with MSIE. So the unsuspecting load it and get zapped. I still have IE on some machines as otherwise Quickbooks and AutoCAD won't install.
    How many office sites do you visit that people get to play Battlefield?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  8.    #8  
    After hours they can do anything they want. We used to rin Doom tournaments here in the office. No sense having those big CAD boxes w/ monster screens if ya can't have fun once and a while.

But looking at the post times here on TC it's apparent that many people are logging dozens of posts a day during working hours, hence my beef with having IE in the OS when an internet connection is by no means needed on every office box. But I do see many people using the offcie T1 line for downloading. Most of the sites I service are small SOHO's with 3 - 10 people. So when somebody at work either in these SOHO's or even CitiCopr goes off searching the web on the company dime, and finds a site that offers the expansion pak to the first 500 users to download it, not many are saying "gee I sure hope that they don't reach 500 before I get home tonite." No, they gonna download and burn a CD.

And I woulda thought everyone would realize that that was just one dumb example of peeps doing something stupid. Perhaps the best example of offcie hours downloading is the infamous kenneth starr "cigar" report that set an internet record for bandwidth burned in a single afternoon. Anyone could set up a "mirror site" to suppossedly downlaod such a thing or the "new 700p specs" and if it says you need IE to downlaod, office users will genrally just fire it up. How else can you explain the AnnaK virus which at the time was one of the biggwst office infections ever.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Believe it or not I am back to IE (V7beta2). I am very happy so far. I had been a firefox user for the past couple of years.
    In the beggining, there was netscape.
    And it was good.
    I hated IE then, but Netscape fell, and IE didn't seem too bad.
    We have now the firefox. I am happy that I can kick the digitized corporate evil away and use an alternative.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    After hours they can do anything they want. We used to rin Doom tournaments here in the office. No sense having those big CAD boxes w/ monster screens if ya can't have fun once and a while.
    Screw that crap. The last thing I wanna do after work, is stay there and have some friggin LAN party with those people.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  12.    #12  
    Depends on whether you like the people you work with. Also with a SOHO, when you have friends over, easy to walk over, opn the door to the office and have fun. OTOH, my kids machines outclass all my office ones....except for new laptop which ain't done being built yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    How many office sites do you visit that people get to play Battlefield?
    You play BF2? What's your game name?
  14.    #14  
    My son (16) plays bug time, he in whadyya call those things ... a clan ? UGSsociety. But he spends most of his time in flight sim sites. He just started training for his propeller craft license and started glider training over the summer. Sent ya an e-mail