1.    #1  
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/03...pple_security/

I woulda thot Ripley's would be first to report this.
    Wow...they have no shame.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Do as I say, not as I do.
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Not as absurd as it sounds. The biggest reason for the lack of attacks on all flavors of the Mac OS is that it doesn't sell in enough numbers to interest most hackers. Hackers thrive on the publicity caused by the impact of their activities. So what if a few thousand Macs get hit by some exploit. If the newspapers report on it at all, it'll be buried in the back of the Style / Arts section.

But infect 10 or 20 million PCs, or slow the internet to a crawl, and you've got some notoriety!

Yes, Windows is full of holes, but if sales numbers for Mac and Win were reversed, you'd see few exploits of Windows boxes, and probably a lot more of OSX's vulnerabilities.

And while I'm sure this is largely a competitive attack on Apple by MS, Microsoft has certainly learned how NOT to do security. And, to be honest, MS has gotten pretty good a responding to identified problems and releasing patches.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    Not as absurd as it sounds. The biggest reason for the lack of attacks on all flavors of the Mac OS is that it doesn't sell in enough numbers to interest most hackers. Hackers thrive on the publicity caused by the impact of their activities. So what if a few thousand Macs get hit by some exploit. If the newspapers report on it at all, it'll be buried in the back of the Style / Arts section.
    The validity of that rumor decreases as you travel from Redmond. More marketingspeak or spin....like they have redifined a kb to 1000 byte scause 1024 is too hard foo us to understand. Windows is known to be full of holes, they advertise it. Remember their "Move to Windows 98, and eliminate security holes and bugs" campaign. Any boxer looking for glory wants to beat the champ, not a bunch of of boxers known for the number of losses they have or how easy they are to knock out. Any hacker looking for glory wants a challenge so he can accomplish something that others have failed to do, and Windows certainly doesn't provide that.

Evidence of MS's lack of a desire to close the holes is evidenced by they announced pending offering of $50 per year sunscriptions to close the holes. The business strategy here seems to be to have one office working on closing the holes and down the hall another offcie working to create them so as to generate more funds for the malware unit.

The fact remains, the structure of Windows is unique in that it invites malware. Brilliant idea Redmond had to make Outlook autoexecute attachments. Puter users for years had been trained into the habit of downloadng a file, scanning it with an AV program before launching. Outlook boasted, "no need to go thru all that trouble, we will open the file for you" .... and get your PC infected. Same thing for Concept viruses....the "concept" just can't be executed on other platforms.