Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 78
  1.    #1  
    Well, it's come to the endpoint where we need a scapegoat to blame for the failed execution of an inane policy.

    So............ IT'S THE MEDIA'S FAULT! It's their fault for not showing the American people happy shiny pictures from iraq. According to Laura Ingraham and contrary to the number of journalist who have been killed or serioulsy wounded, reporters need "to actually have a conversation with the people instead of reporting from hotel balconies about the latest IEDs going off".

    Hand picked audiences for the numerous public appearances spurned by lwering poll numbers ('but they don't pay attention to the polls') by the Bush Administration talking head berate the media for their chosen leaders to the point of nausea. Thus it begins. Things do not bode well for Iraq.
  2. #2  
    The Democrats need to get off the "failed policy" crap. The freedom of speech is one thing, but when people like Kennedy and Pelosi and Boxer are spewing stuff that even they know is inaccurate just for the sake of the upcoming elections then they need to be called out. What they are saying is dangerous because it has an effect on troop morale and public morale and its untrue. A "failed policy" is one that, by definition, can't work. The policy IS working in Iraq for the majority of Iraqis outside the Sunni triangle. I believe it will work in time but that doesn't matter. What matters is that nobody has proved that it won't work. Now, it may not be working to the liking of some people and it may not be working fast enough for the American public. But in the real world change takes time.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Well, it's come to the endpoint where we need a scapegoat to blame for the failed execution of an inane policy.

    So............ IT'S THE MEDIA'S FAULT! It's their fault for not showing the American people happy shiny pictures from iraq. According to Laura Ingraham and contrary to the number of journalist who have been killed or serioulsy wounded, reporters need "to actually have a conversation with the people instead of reporting from hotel balconies about the latest IEDs going off".

    Hand picked audiences for the numerous public appearances spurned by lwering poll numbers ('but they don't pay attention to the polls') by the Bush Administration talking head berate the media for their chosen leaders to the point of nausea. Thus it begins. Things do not bode well for Iraq.
    I have noted several times here that I have talked with many close friends and family who have served in Iraq and who are over there right now.....and one of the most common responses I get back when I ask how is it going over there is "Don't listen to the papers or cable news, because you are getting only half of the story. Sure there are all the problems they are reporting but it often times isn't as bad as they show it to be. There is also a lot good happening too that you will never hear about, like when......" then they share a personal experience, observation, accomplishment they did to get power to a place that has never had electricity before, having Iraqis on a daily basis come up to them and thank them for what they are doing, etc.....

    I have had this happen too much to personally question the validity of the balance of reporting.

    Believe me (again I know I have to state this because I said a positive about Iraq I am not flamed as a fanatical Bush loving, his my god minion, by those who have the view of the evil Bush Midas touch syndrome ) I am not saying there are not major challenges in Iraq. I am not saying that huge mistakes were not made after the fall of Saddam. I am not saying all is rosey and happy in Iraq. I am not saying the MSM is falsely reporting. But I am saying that I hear another side of the story from the troops over there so many times over that I have never heard in MSM.

    Nothing more than a personal observation.
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 03/23/2006 at 05:11 PM.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Now, it may not be working to the liking of some people and it may not be working fast enough for the American public. But in the real world change takes time.
    It is not failed. It is, by it's nature, inane. Please reflect on the time table this administration was selling the American people in the build up to this action.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    It is not failed. It is, by it's nature, inane. Please reflect on the time table this administration was selling the American people in the build up to this action.
    Correction noted. But what's the difference in the end result of a failed policy and the failed execution of a policy? Perhaps, since you made the assertion, you wouldn't mind sharing what that stated "time table" was.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    It is not failed. It is, by it's nature, inane. Please reflect on the time table this administration was selling the American people in the build up to this action.
    So your resting your entire inane response to the war on a failed timetable? What about Windows Vista being pushed back, does that deserve ridicule too
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    It is not failed. It is, by it's nature, inane. Please reflect on the time table this administration was selling the American people in the build up to this action.
    The time table given up front was many years. I'm flabergasted by the apparant lack of inteligence in arguments such as yours. Of course the media is not telling the whole story. Anyone that thinks they have no agenda is a moron in my opinion. This is not "name calling" in the un-thought emotional lashing out sense. The word moron has a meaning and IMHO applies here. What did we lose...7000 in Iwa Jima. Would today's media have reported it as a success. The left has blind hatred for the President that makes them unable to think.
  8. #8  
    by the way...it looks like you and my dog go to the same barber (hair stylist)
  9. #9  
    Like Hobbes, I've discussed this war with people on the ground in Iraq. And, like Hobbes, what I hear is "don't believe what you see on the news". Call me silly, but when a guy who has lived through an IED explosion, who has lost friends in the war and has nothing to gain by sugar-coating the situation tells me what the situation is I tend to believe him.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    The time table given up front was many years. I'm flabergasted by the apparant lack of inteligence in arguments such as yours. Of course the media is not telling the whole story. Anyone that thinks they have no agenda is a moron in my opinion. This is not "name calling" in the un-thought emotional lashing out sense. The word moron has a meaning and IMHO applies here. What did we lose...7000 in Iwa Jima. Would today's media have reported it as a success. The left has blind hatred for the President that makes them unable to think.
    Here, here
  11. #11  
    There is no single source of MSM thet will provide a complete and totally unbiased coverage. One has to work at locating media from both sides.

    My opinion follows:
    I feel that "NPR + PBS Newshour" is the most balanced coverage if one had to limit it to one source. But perfect, but the closest. In addition to this, I read the BBC, NYT, WSJ editorial page and watch Fox News Sunday+Bill O'Reilly+Rush occasionally when I am driving in the afternoon.

    What bugs me is that the consevatives (and alot of the vocal folks here) call MSM way biased and then limit themselves to Fox and talk radio and consider themselves well-informed. These 2 sources are sooo biased that it would take all of MSM to offset that.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    What bugs me is that the consevatives (and alot of the vocal folks here) call MSM way biased and then limit themselves to Fox and talk radio and consider themselves well-informed. These 2 sources are sooo biased that it would take all of MSM to offset that.
    Just wondering, how do you know what they listen to? Did they tell you?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad

    What bugs me is that the consevatives (and alot of the vocal folks here) call MSM way biased and then limit themselves to Fox and talk radio and consider themselves well-informed. These 2 sources are sooo biased that it would take all of MSM to offset that.
    Seems like a biased opinion to me.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  14. #14  
    It's based on knowing a few people at work including my boss in my car pool!!

    And on the fact that conservatives blast MSM but I have NEVER seen any conservative make similar statements about Fox News.

    Any examples here of regular right-wingers who say that Fox News presents a biased one-sided view of things?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ttrundle
    So your resting your entire inane response to the war on a failed timetable? What about Windows Vista being pushed back, does that deserve ridicule too

    No, I was responding to two points.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    It's based on knowing a few people at work including my boss in my car pool!!

    And on the fact that conservatives blast MSM but I have NEVER seen any conservative make similar statements about Fox News.

    Any examples here of regular right-wingers who say that Fox News presents a biased one-sided view of things?
    What specifically about news reporting on Fox News is biased? Give me some examples of a purposely biased news report.

    And is it not possible that Fox News seems biased to you, because you're biased to a differing opinion?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    by the way...it looks like you and my dog go to the same barber (hair stylist)
    Right on!

  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    What specifically about news reporting on Fox News is biased? Give me some examples of a purposely biased news report.

    And is it not possible that Fox News seems biased to you, because you're biased to a differing opinion?
    And vice versa? Is NYT etc biased to those who are themselves biased?

    This discussion has no resolution.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    And vice versa? Is NYT etc biased to those who are themselves biased?

    This discussion has no resolution.
    I never said that wasn't the case. But it seems to me, you're making a generalization that Conservatives are biased, without looking at those on the other side. I see both sides have a bias, which is why people will fall into one category or another.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  20. #20  
    Consevatives are biased. Liberals are biased. Multiple sources and media has to be read/watched/litened to to get a balanced view of the world. Of all the various single sourced media, NPR is the least biased.

    (Does that make me biased in favor of NPR? I guess so.)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions