Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    What is that? The url doesn't go anywhere.
    oh my fault ... www.allofmp3.com
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    oh my fault ... www.allofmp3.com
    Yeah, that seems like stealing to me. I've always believed that intent matters a lot, and if you intend to give no money to the rightful owners of a piece's copyright, then you might as well just steal it. No need to go through some Russian charade to convince yourself you're doing no wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer
    Yeah, that seems like stealing to me. I've always believed that intent matters a lot, and if you intend to give no money to the rightful owners of a piece's copyright, then you might as well just steal it. No need to go through some Russian charade to convince yourself you're doing no wrong.
    Yeah, that's why I asked about the moral angle.

On a side note, I wonder how much money the artist actually gets out of a $0.99 cent iTunes download.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Yeah, that's why I asked about the moral angle.

On a side note, I wonder how much money the artist actually gets out of a $0.99 cent iTunes download.
    I actually don't care how much the artist gets, so long as it's keeping with the terms of his/her contract. That's the problem with the russian bootleg site...
    Quote Originally Posted by KRamsauer View Post
    I just downloaded a CD from OurTracks.com for $10 (South Austin Jug Band). Reminds me of livephish.com in it's style: unprotected mp3s for $10 an album along with pleas not to illegally share them. It's a great source for non-major label stuff as far as I can tell, and I think I'll buy some more music from them in the future.

I just wanted to take the time to thank you for doing that! I am part of OurTracks.com and have spent countless hours talking personally to all these bands that are on our site (the majority of them). I know you wrote this March of 2006 and since then, we have continually added artists! Recent ones we brought on that you might know would be Walt Wilkins, Mike Mancy Band, Darren Kozelsky, Matt Powell, ******* Sons of Johnny Cash Zack Walther (formerly with Rodger Wilko) and many more.

One thing we do have that the "majors" don't are Out of Print CD's - the SAJB CD you bought is no longer in print but all I need is 1 copy and I can continue to make money for the bands/artists which is the entire reason we started OurTracks. Other Out Of Print artists we have include Peter Dawson, Brandon Rhyder, Jackson Parten, Billy Bacon & The Forbidden Pigs and a few others. We have also done a Digital Only release (no physical copies to be pressed) with Brian Rung (wrote some songs for Bleu Edmondson & is the lead player for the Jarrod Birmingham Band). This means he didn't have to invest anything into distribution and it's pure profit to him! We are encouraging artists to do this because it's a way for them to get something out to their fans cheaply. We are also getting reading to delve into Live Recordings - come and take a look at us if you haven't - our target niche is Americana/Texas Country/Red Dirt/Blues/Rockabilly, Punkabilly/Psychobilly Independents...

Thank you again for your kind words and keep checking back!
    Last edited by lmofle; 09/27/2006 at 10:58 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74 View Post
    This is something totally different and I hope it catches on. From what I understand, a HUGE chunk of that $10 goes directly to the artist, and a tiny fraction of the price of an album at record store or at iTunes goes to the artest, and NONE of the money from those illegal russian warez sites goes to the artists OR the labels.

Not to mention, they give you the freedom to listen to it where, when, and how you want, and on which device.

I just found what seems like a lot more of these sites by doing a google for independent music downloads.

The only thing is, your kinda sol if you are a Brittney Spears Fan. :P

We are starting to catch on and it has taken alot of time and effort because we don't have a gazillion dollars to go towards marketing so we are doing as a Grass Roots type thing.

I live in Texas and see alot of these artists all the time - we are more interested in giving these guys a few extra bucks and if it catches on, great!!! You guys can help by passing us on to the folks you know that want to support these artists! Or, better yet, tell other bands because we are not exclusive to Texas or Oklahoma country - we have bands from San Diego, Missouri and soon Mississippi.

We pay anywhere from 50% to 70% of GROSS back to the artist. Now i will say ITunes pays 75% last time we checked but when they pay it back to a label, in a recent CNN article, the label used to pay 30% back to the artist but recently renegotiated that down to 10%!!!! Is that not wrong? It is in my eyes - the band should get as much as you can afford to pay them!

As far as allowing you to listen to it and copy it whereever you want, that is the way it should be. No one tells you how to drive your car after buying it - if you buy a best selling paperback and read it in one night then give it to your buddy to read, no one is standing there threatening to sue you. The principle is same. This should tell you that the labels still want the majority of the money and that is what it is about to the, To us, it's about the music and the artists!

Were you aware of the mechanical royalty payouts? A mechanical royalty is when you sell a physical CD. If you are the songwriter, you get 4.5%...if you are the singer, you get 4.5%...if you are the singer/songwriter, you get 9%...think about it - that is akin to having 91% of your check withheld in taxes - who, in their right mind, would take a job where 91% or your money you earned is taken away from you.

OK, getting off my soapbox...

Again - thank you for checking into us and we also have a Myspace page at www.myspace.com/ourtracks !! Feel free to email me for any questions!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123