Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Back to the thread topic, I'm afraid that the mullahs have made provocative statements asling the _people_ to kill this guy. So, even if he is released, he will be in danger, probably more so.

This will not go well with Bush's base (conservative Christians).
    I am still at a loss on how the US President (current, past, or future) ties into islamic law and their esire to kill anyone who does not believe the way they think everyone should believe. Why not blame Sam Walton and Rosa Parks while you are at it?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Back to the thread topic, I'm afraid that the mullahs have made provocative statements asling the _people_ to kill this guy. So, even if he is released, he will be in danger, probably more so.

This will not go well with Bush's base (conservative Christians).
    Politcally speaking.....Do you think it would be better politically for the christain base if Bush didn't do anything to try to help offer an enviroment that equal opportunities can develop to areas like this?
    I'm not saying that Bush should be blamed for this. But some of his Evangelical base will blame him for not doing enough to save this guy.

Or blame him for wasting American lives and resources on "savages" who are so intolerant. It will make them ask themselves "Why are we there?" etc and question the cost/benefits of the war.

Personally, I think the involvement in Afghanistan was a good thing. I'm not sure that we are paying enough attention to Afghanistan to prevent it from backsliding into what it used to be.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    I'm not saying that Bush should be blamed for this. But some of his Evangelical base will blame him for not doing enough to save this guy.

Or blame him for wasting American lives and resources on "savages" who are so intolerant. It will make them ask themselves "Why are we there?" etc and question the cost/benefits of the war.

Personally, I think the involvement in Afghanistan was a good thing. I'm not sure that we are paying enough attention to Afghanistan to prevent it from backsliding into what it used to be.
    This is an example of one of the reasons we are there. It's our nations belief that all are created equal, that we should be free to choose how we worship, who we worship, if we choose to worship. Why should the minority be put to death? If we were not there, do yo think this would not be happening?
    From what I have read many "moderate" clerics are calling for his body to be "pulled to pieces". Once again the tribal mentality rises. Let's get out and let them work it out themselves. In 250 years when they are civilized we can engage with them. It is sad that the followers of Islam in the West do not protest this extreme position (by their moderate followers!) it can only mean that they agree with it.
  6. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    This is an example of one of the reasons we are there. It's our nations belief that all are created equal, that we should be free to choose how we worship, who we worship, if we choose to worship. Why should the minority be put to death? If we were not there, do yo think this would not be happening?
    In that case we better get cracking on China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, Dafur, etc. We will be very busy in the coming century if this a rational for invading a country.
    Quote Originally Posted by NRG
    In that case we better get cracking on China, Saudi Arabia, Iran, North Korea, Dafur, etc. We will be very busy in the coming century if this a rational for invading a country.
    I don't think he meant this was the reason for the invastion, but we now have an opportunity help this situation because it did happen.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    I don't think he meant this was the reason for the invastion, but we now have an opportunity help this situation because it did happen.
    So what should be the answer here? What should we do besides voice our displeasure.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Come on NRG, you should know me better than that. Use the exact words I did (one of the reasons we are there). Human rights should mean something to you, and this is an example of an abuse of human rights. Since we are there we have the ability to apply a little more pressure than if we did not have a presence in the region at all.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    So what should be the answer here? What should we do besides voice our displeasure.
    Maybe our voice was enough.

Afghan Christian 'likely to be released soon': official

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/0....6b67boyy.html
  11. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Come on NRG, you should know me better than that. Use the exact words I did (one of the reasons we are there). Human rights should mean something to you, and this is an example of an abuse of human rights. Since we are there we have the ability to apply a little more pressure than if we did not have a presence in the region at all.
    Hey, I agree with you. I just don't know how we should have handled it. Sorry about the misunderstanding about human rights issue being a reason for war. I still think that human rights issues should be handled via diplomacy. I also don't think we should ever use HR issues for basis for an all out war, no matter how small or big. The relief of HR abuses should be seen as a side benefit.
  12. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts

Great!!!

Unfortunately, those "tolerant" top clerics are calling for citizens to kill the man IF he is released. So no matter what the law does, the top religious leaders want this man dead! (and this is the moderate cleric).

What a great religion!
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    So why is it, in your view, that high-income places normally correlate with less influence of religion and more liberal thinking (such as New York and California)? Why is that in the US, the high-income places are liberal, with less religious influence than in the relatively poor, conservative areas in the South and Midwest?
    Keep repeating the mantra, clulup. I'm sure some day someone will believe it.

Urban areas, aspecially areas near ports, have always been much less homogeneous. People from all parts of the world come to trade and do business. Therefore you will always see less of the influences of the dominant culture in the larger urban areas. This is not a US thing, its a global thing. Look at the Netherlands: Amsterdam is arguably one of the most liberal cities in the world. However, the rural areas of Holland are fairly conservative. Same with Germany, Norway, Sweden and even Canada. And so it goes. But does this mean its a liberal heaven in the city? You tell me, clulup, why do the urban areas always have:

- higher rates of violent crime?
    - higher rates of drug abuse?
    - higher rates of poverty?
    - higher rates of homelessness?
    - more gang activity?
    - more white collar crime?
    - less home ownership, just to name a few?

If this is your liberal panacea then give me a home where the buffalo roam.
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    So success leads to less religion, according to you? Could be true.
    Nice oversimplification. May be the reason your having trouble following.

That would be wonderful. And here's to Stephen Harper for stepping in too!
    Quote Originally Posted by RicoM
    Unfortunately, those "tolerant" top clerics are calling for citizens to kill the man IF he is released. So no matter what the law does, the top religious leaders want this man dead! (and this is the moderate cleric).

What a great religion!
    Hopefully they can get him out of the country. And hopefully this will shed more light on similar cases in the region and the rest of the world. Maybe this will mean something can be done about forced conversions and reconversions in Africa, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent.
    Why I said that is is bad for Bush, politically.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11994128/
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Hopefully they can get him out of the country. And hopefully this will shed more light on similar cases in the region and the rest of the world. Maybe this will mean something can be done about forced conversions and reconversions in Africa, the Middle East and the Indian subcontinent.
    He lives in Germany, he returned for a visit and his parents turned him in. Talk about a red headed step child.
    He lives in Germany, he returned for a visit and his parents turned him in. Talk about a red headed step child.
    Lovely. What wonderful parenting skills.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast