Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    In most interpretations of an Islamic state, conversion by Muslims to other religions is forbidden and is termed apostasy. Muslim theology equals apostasy to treason, and in most interpretations of shariah, the Penalty for apostasy is death. (Source)
    Apostasy in Islam (ارتداد, Irtidād) is the rejection of Islam by some means, be it spoken or written. Displayed disloyalty or blasphemous acts can also be deemed apostasy. The concept has parallels in some other religious systems, particularly monotheistic ones such as Christianity. There is no definition and consequent punishment that spans all Islamic views. The concept of how to deal with apostasy in Islamic theocracies is traditionally a matter of hadd under Sharia law, and it varies over the different schools of thought throughout the history of Islam. Although there is a consensus in the four fiqh (Schools of Jurisprudence) that an apostate should be killed, most Muslim countries rarely carry out the death penalty at present. Contemporary Muslims in the liberal movement oppose the death penalty as have some earlier Islamic scholars. (Source)
    It seems a former owner of a Texan Baseball team - who became President of the US through a series of unfortunate events - thought such things would go away following military occupation of Islamic countries, but it turns out he was wrong.

The insistence on the Sharia (the Islamic law system based on the Koran and its interpretation) seems to make economic development of Islamic countries and democracy very difficult if not impossible. Dogmatic, fundamentalist religious views are still predominant, just like in the West prior to the Age of Enlightenment.
    Last edited by clulup; 03/22/2006 at 02:34 AM.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
    Quote Originally Posted by clulup
    It seems a former owner of a Texan Baseball team - who became President of the US through a series of unfortunate events
    Yeah, that pesky electoral college always gets in the way.

thought such things would go away following military occupation of Islamic countries, but it turns out he was wrong.
    Because, of course, we know that things like sweeping democratic change in a country with millions of people and a centuries old culture happens over night, right? So, since we cannot affect change quickly enough for the liking of the weak-stomachs in the West we should just let them die by the hundreds of thousands. After all, any good war should be over by the time Survivor comes on.

The insistence on the Sharia (the Islamic law system based on the Koran and its interpretation) seems to make economic development of Islamic countries and democracy very difficult if not impossible.
    That's why we need all of those peace-loving Muslim scholars we keep hearing about to rise up and take control. If not, we'll take it for them.

Dogmatic, fundamentalist religious views are still predominant, just like in the West prior to the Age of Enlightenment.
    Oh that wonderous Age of Enlightenment. We'll just brush aside the horrors of the Reign of Terror, and marvel at Enlightenment achievements in such time honored institutions as Soviet Russia, Maoist China, Tito's Yugoslavia, Laos, North Korea, Cuba, etc, etc. Surely, countless millions of lives were a small price to pay for the joys of having a godless state.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    The differences here are so vast that even drawing a correlation like that is kind of silly. I mean, is the Bush administration or the "far right" of this country advocating anything even close to this?
    It is the increasing role of organized religion in politics that's worrisome (to me).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    That's why we need all of those peace-loving Muslim scholars we keep hearing about to rise up and take control. If not, we'll take it for them.
    You take control for the Muslims? Is that what we are seeing in Iraq?
    Oh that wonderous Age of Enlightenment. We'll just brush aside the horrors of the Reign of Terror, and marvel at Enlightenment achievements in such time honored institutions as Soviet Russia, Maoist China, Tito's Yugoslavia, Laos, North Korea, Cuba, etc, etc. Surely, countless millions of lives were a small price to pay for the joys of having a godless state.
    You seem to confuse Enlightenment with Communism. The Age of Enlightenment is what made possible e.g. the constitution of your country, which isn't a Communist one as far as I know.

Unfortunately, in the Islamic world there was no comparable development so far which pushed back the influence of dogmatic religion and gave way to freedom of thought, press, democracy etc. The problem is you cannot force those things onto a person.

I guess the tragedy is that many Muslims feel a certain degree of economic and military disadvantage when compared to the West, and then seek refuge in an even more fundamentalist Islam, which makes their situation even worse, certainly on the economic side (e.g. due to the fact that education of women is discouraged, financial transactions involving interest are considered dubious or entirely forbidden accoding to Sharia, etc.).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” (Philip K. ****)
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    It is the increasing role of organized religion in politics that's worrisome (to me).
    Understandably so. Unfortunately, our political sysem has become one where those with access and influence have their interestes served. It is logical that those already organized around something else, in this case religion, would simply use that existing organization to gain access and influence.

We see the same thing with unions, lodges, community services organizations, PTAs, etc.

What should be of concern is not simply the influence of religious groups, but the whole condition that ANY group with a special interest can influence the legislation that governs our lives together, almost to the exclusion of alternating views.
  6.    #26  
    ...The Age of Enlightenment is what made possible e.g. the constitution of your country, which isn't a Communist one as far as I know. ...
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaah, dear clulup. It appears that you, like me, long for the "good ol' days" of the Off Topic forum.
    It seems a former owner of a Texan Baseball team - who became President of the US through a series of unfortunate events - thought such things would go away following military occupation of Islamic countries, but it turns out he was wrong.
    This is so typical of you. What George Bush has to do with an Afghani being sentenced to death for leaving Islam, only you know.

George Bush this...George Bush that...cripes your monotony is unbelievable.

Can you even **** or blow your nose without thinking of George Bush? Is your life that consumed with him that you can't discuss an issue unless you can find a way to bring him up? Wow...seek counseling.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    This is so typical of you. What George Bush has to do with an Afghani being sentenced to death for leaving Islam, only you know.

George Bush this...George Bush that...cripes your monotony is unbelievable.

Can you even **** or blow your nose without thinking of George Bush? Is your life that consumed with him that you can't discuss an issue unless you can find a way to bring him up? Wow...seek counseling.
    Well now I can honestly admit I only think of George W. Bush when I'm doing number #2...thats what I do when I really need to concentrate. Works like a charm!
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    Well now I can honestly admit I only think of George W. Bush when I'm doing number #2...thats what I do when I really need to concentrate. Works like a charm!
    You pinko ******* dope smokin' hippe!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against talking about this or any Administration, provided it is relevant. But wow, the lengths people will go through to chant their mantra.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Surely, countless millions of lives were a small price to pay for the joys of having a godless state.
    Lol, yesss, thats EXACTLY the problem in the middle east, the people are not religious enough. After Iraq hopefully we can undermine the rest of the secular governments in the middle east and replace them with godly governments. Praise be to Alah.
    You seem to confuse Enlightenment with Communism. The Age of Enlightenment is what made possible e.g. the constitution of your country, which isn't a Communist one as far as I know.

Unfortunately, in the Islamic world there was no comparable development so far which pushed back the influence of dogmatic religion and gave way to freedom of thought, press, democracy etc. The problem is you cannot force those things onto a person.
    The history of philosophical movements isn't one of disparate, independent ideas but of an evolution of ideas. They don't pop up out of nowhere but are usually either an outgrowth or a rejection of previous ideas. The Enlightenment and it's subsequent movements are no different. While its certainly true that the American Revolution had much support from Enlightenment thinkers in Europe, there are vast differences. Voltaire, Hume and Hobbes, for example, were not great believers in democracy. Hobbes, Locke and Rousseau would write that the social contract precluded the right of the people to rebel. This may help to explain the differences between the successes of the American Revolution and the bloody debacles of the French Revolution.

Many would argue that Marxism and Communism are logical outgrowths of Enlightenment ideas such as the social contract and the strong and soveriegn centralized state. Not only this, but since philosophies are also born out of a backlash to previous ideas, we can see that the Elightenment also gave rise to Facsism which was a product of Romanticism which, itself, was borne out of a backlash to the Enlightenment.

I would love to expand on ths but, alas, I must pay the bills.

I guess the tragedy is that many Muslims feel a certain degree of economic and military disadvantage when compared to the West, and then seek refuge in an even more fundamentalist Islam, which makes their situation even worse, certainly on the economic side (e.g. due to the fact that education of women is discouraged, financial transactions involving interest are considered dubious or entirely forbidden accoding to Sharia, etc.).
    Why is "the West" always implicated in these things?
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    Lol, yesss, thats EXACTLY the problem in the middle east, the people are not religious enough. After Iraq hopefully we can undermine the rest of the secular governments in the middle east and replace them with godly governments. Praise be to Alah.
    Can it only be either/or in this debate?
    You pinko ******* dope smokin' hippe!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against talking about this or any Administration, provided it is relevant. But wow, the lengths people will go through to chant their mantra.
    LOL ******* dope smokin' hippe??? Did I touch the Monkey's nerve? I tend to do that alot to people...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    LOL ******* dope smokin' hippe??? Did I touch the Monkey's nerve? I tend to do that alot to people...
    Ha! Naw, you know I'm just ****ing with you. You're okay (for a crack smokin' commie )

Thanks, your not bad yourself you @$$ smelling S#!t slinging, wanna be Donkey Kong, conservative...
    Can you feel the love?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts

The insistence on the Sharia (the Islamic law system based on the Koran and its interpretation) seems to make economic development of Islamic countries and democracy very difficult if not impossible. Dogmatic, fundamentalist religious views are still predominant, just like in the West prior to the Age of Enlightenment.
    Wow, I did not realize that President Bush wielded such great power over the entire world. He even has the ability to dictate Islamic Law. I guess he also caused the sun to rise and set at his schedule.

It is unfortunate that the EU looks at horrors such as this and simply shrugs their shoulders and says "oh well it's not happening to us so let's have some tea"
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Wow, I did not realize that President Bush wielded such great power over the entire world. He even has the ability to dictate Islamic Law. I guess he also caused the sun to rise and set at his schedule.
    And all while being an incompetent moron. Amazing, isn't it? First they teach Coco to count and now this.
    Next thing you know, they'll be saying GWB can even kick Chuck Norris' a$$

Next thing you know, they'll be saying GWB can even kick Chuck Norris' a$$
    You mean he can't?
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast