1.    #1  
    I thought that some here may find this interesting....

Hackers Get Windows XP Onto New Apple Computers

Friday March 17, 8:41 PM EST

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP)--As expected, hackers have found a way to run Microsoft Corp.'s (MSFT) (MSFT) Windows XP operating system on new Macintosh computers, winning an ad hoc contest and a $13,854 cash prize to boot.

Or, make that dual-boot - the way to make a computer switch between two operating systems.

Some users of Apple Computer Inc.'s (AAPL) (AAPL) Macs have clamored for such a solution since Apple said it would be switching its computers to Intel Corp.'s chips, putting the feat within reach.

Their reasons vary, but a common denominator is that they would like to run Windows-based programs on their Macs.

Colin Nederkoorn, a shipping broker in Houston, says he just wants to streamline his work: instead of using his Apple PowerBook computer for some programs and a Windows PC for other tasks, he'd like to just use one machine.

-------------------

Lopez, who never even owned a Mac computer until he had to get one to assume the challenge, said in an interview Friday his previous tinkering projects were all personal.

"But this is something that I feel a lot of people could use, and that the tech community will benefit from this," he said.

On Friday, Nederkoorn's Web site was busy with collaboration between developers working to improve upon Lopez' work. Nederkoorn said the so-called " Windows on Mac" project is open-sourced, meaning anyone can build on it.

The hack, which is downloadable from the Web site, still takes some tedious labor and technical know-how, but Nederkoorn predicts an easier version for mainstream computer users might be available within a year.

"It should be as easy as two clicks at some stage," he said.

FULL STORY: http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt...&date=20060317
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    When someone finds a way to make OSX run on my PC, THEN I'll be interested.
    Safety and happiness can only come from individuals, classes, and nations being honest and fair and kind to each other.
    - C.S. Lewis
    It's already running on PC. http://www.osx86project.org/
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    The new Mac's are basically PC's hardware wise, so someones got XP running on a PC, great . So the benefit to that is you get a nice case with an Apple logo on it
    I don't see where that site talks about loanding MacOS on a PC but I sure would like to do that with a mothballed Dell. Making that a dual boot machine would be ideal. Hook that up to the 50" plasma in the media room and life gets damn nice.
    Why on God's green earth would anyone install [insert Microsoft shovelware of the year] onto another arch/platform/system. People invest a fair amount of time to remove said spyware/malware from systems.
    Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Cesium, it is simple. Some software is Simply not Mac compatible. the ability to dual boot a Mac to a Windows OS is very big for some. Virtual PC has sold well for a long time and is slow and quirky. this is a nice development and makes the new Apple hardware more attractive to some.
    Quote Originally Posted by swagner
    Cesium, it is simple. Some software is Simply not Mac compatible. the ability to dual boot a Mac to a Windows OS is very big for some. Virtual PC has sold well for a long time and is slow and quirky. this is a nice development and makes the new Apple hardware more attractive to some.
    I'd imagine that Wine/WineX/Cedega/Crossover Office/WineX CVS would compile on OSX mitigating the need for installing a Microsoft product; this assuming that a Win32-only solution didnt' exist in the GNU/GPL world to replace such a Win32 only product.

IE: Office (~$600) versus OpenOffice ($0), Adobe Photoshop versus GIMP, VMWare versus QEMU, Outlook versus Evolution, etc.
    how shortsighted
    I cant look at this without thinking of how apple fans went from ...

"forget the megaherts myth, (and the benchmarks) apple has the fastest hardware"

to

"screw it, lets just throw our OS on a pentium box"

seamlessly, without even a hiccup, or a period of ... "crap, we're getting our *** kicked", and instantly with a 100% straight face