Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Too Hot for New York

by PHILIP WEISS

[from the April 3, 2006 issue of the Nation]

The slim book that was suddenly the most controversial work in the West in early March was not easy to find in the United States. Amazon said it wasn't available till April. The Strand bookstore didn't have it either. You could order it on Amazon-UK, but it would be a week getting here. I finally found an author in Michigan who kindly photocopied the British book and overnighted it to me; but to be on the safe side, I visited an activist's apartment on Eighth Avenue on the promise that I could take her much-in-demand copy to the lobby for half an hour. In the elevator, I flipped it open to a random passage:

"I can't cool boiling waters in Russia. I can't be Picasso. I can't be Jesus. I can't save the planet single-handedly. I can wash dishes."

The book is the play My Name Is Rachel Corrie. Composed from the journal entries and e-mails of the 23-year-old from Washington State who was crushed to death in Gaza three years ago under a bulldozer operated by the Israeli army, the play had two successful runs in London last year and then became a cause celebre after a progressive New York theater company decided to postpone its American premiere indefinitely out of concern for the sensitivities of (unnamed) Jewish groups unsettled by Hamas's victory in the Palestinian elections. When the English producers denounced the decision by the New York Theatre Workshop as "censorship" and withdrew the show, even the mainstream media could not ignore the implications. Why is it that the eloquent words of an American radical could not be heard in this country--not, that is, without what the Workshop had called "contextualizing," framing the play with political discussions, maybe even mounting a companion piece that would somehow "mollify" the Jewish community?

Cont'd

------------------------------------------

Rachel Corrie is a hero. She didn't just talk the talk she walked the walk. She will be missed.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Rachel Corrie is a hero.

Why is that?
    Quote Originally Posted by TomUps
    Why is that?
    Click the link I provided and you'll see why DA thinks "Pancake Corrie" was a hero.
  4.    #5  
    Why is that?
    She went to a place where one group of people was oppressing another through such despicable acts as bulldozing the homes of entire families. She went there to draw attention to this oppression and to try and stop it. She was killed trying to do so.

That's a hero.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    She went to a place where one group of people was oppressing another through such despicable acts as bulldozing the homes of entire families. She went there to draw attention to this oppression and to try and stop it. She was killed trying to do so.

Two sides to every story DaT...How bout this one

1. She went to support people who were openly dancing in the street when 3000 Americans were slaughtered.

2. She went to support a people who have since elected a recognized terrorist organization that kills children and babies

3. She went to support people who have no desire with peace with Israel, only its destruction.

4. She went to support a people whose parents send their kids to blow themselves up and kill other kids.

hero? I think not.
  6.    #7  
    Two sides to every story DaT...How bout this one

1. She went to support people who were openly dancing in the street when 3000 Americans were slaughtered.

2. She went to support a people who have since elected a recognized terrorist organization that kills children and babies

3. She went to support people who have no desire with peace with Israel, only its destruction.

4. She went to support a people whose parents send their kids to blow themselves up and kill other kids.

hero? I think not.
    Typical.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Typical.
    Typical what? Are they not valid points?

I'm not up on the history of this person, therefore I'm not picking sides, so...are you saying those points aren't true? Or they are true, but don't bring them up?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    While I admit I do not know her whole story, I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone who decides to stand in front of a moving bulldozer. I respect an individuals desire to stand up for their beliefs in a non-violent, non-suicidal way. In my opinon she committed suicide to make her point. As far as the points TomUPS made, if she wanted to take the side of the Palastines over the Israelis, that is her choice.

This does not make her a hero in my book, but every individual has their own heros that they want to pattern their life after, standing in front of a piece of heavy equipment is not my cup of tea.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    a true hero would recognize the pain and suffering that is caused by the people she is protesting for.

A true hero would protest for peace for both sides.

A true hero wouldn't be protesting for one side while turning a blind eye to the suffering for the other side.
    Last edited by TomUps; 03/20/2006 at 02:51 PM.
    I agree but you have to remember not everyone sees it this way. I mean we have our own views of whos the "good guy" and whos the "bad guy". Most people have a "side" they lean towards. Its hard to come to hard medium especially if you've already had time to reflect on the issues. You tend to put emotions into one "side". Of course this is from the outside looking in. Picking sides is not always the easiest option and I'm not saying that she chose the wrong side/right side but from the looks of it she knew full well what she was getting herself into. Either way this is a tragic story....
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Typical.

Your right, Typical in that I counter your post with facts that you can not or do not respond to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Typical what? Are they not valid points?

I'm not up on the history of this person, therefore I'm not picking sides, so...are you saying those points aren't true? Or they are true, but don't bring them up?
    Here's all you need to know:
    http://home.comcast.net/~fenrisulven...ie-flag-02.jpg
    Your right, Typical in that I counter your post with facts that you can not or do not respond to.
    That's DA's MO.
  14.    #15  
    Your "facts" do nothing to counter my statements. They are just the usual propaganda.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Your "facts" do nothing to counter my statements. They are just the usual propaganda.
    Please tell me Dat, which statements of mine are propaganda?

I will relist

1. Palestinians elected a terrorist organization to leadership that has targeted and killed children.

2. Palestinians danced for joy in the street on sept 11.

3. Palestinian parents send their children to blow up other children.

4. If Corrie was a true hero she wouldn't be protesting for one side while turning a blind eye to the suffering for the other side.

Which one is propaganda? Please enlighten me. Im sure your response will avoid the questions as usual.
  16.    #17  
    Please tell me Dat, which statements of mine are propaganda?

I will relist

Which one is propaganda? Please enlighten me. Im sure your response will avoid the questions as usual.
    1. Palestinians elected a terrorist organization to leadership that has targeted and killed children.
    Democracy in the middle east. I thought that's what people wanted. The irish elected terrorists to gov't. It's a cycle of struggle for equal power. History is littered with it. Examine the fight by the colonists for independence.

2. Palestinians danced for joy in the street on sept 11.
    Meaningless. You just like to throw that label on the palestininans.

3. Palestinian parents send their children to blow up other children.
    Irrelevent to the injustice of house razing. Unless you're going to use 3'rd grade tactics of punishing the whole class for the actions of a few individuals.

4. If Corrie was a true hero she wouldn't be protesting for one side while turning a blind eye to the suffering for the other side. You're assuming she condoned the tactic of terrorism. You're quite incorrect.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    1. Palestinians elected a terrorist organization to leadership that has targeted and killed children. Democracy in the middle east. I thought that's what people wanted. The irish elected terrorists to gov't. It's a cycle of struggle for equal power. History is littered with it. Examine the fight by the colonists for independence.
    So that makes it alright then? Amazing how you go crazy for one lady that lost her life but can easily explain away murdered children by labeling it as 'Democracy'. By the way, the colonists never blew up English children in pubs during the revolution.

2. Palestinians danced for joy in the street on sept 11. Meaningless. You just like to throw that label on the palestininans.
    Meaningless? Why don't you ask some of the people who lost family on Sept 11. Ask them how they felt about seeing the celebrations and dancing.

3. Palestinian parents send their children to blow up other children. Irrelevent to the injustice of house razing. Unless you're going to use 3'rd grade tactics of punishing the whole class for the actions of a few individuals.
    Again, you rail against home demolition but say nothing against murdered Israeli children. Ofcourse you fail to mention alot of those homes are the houses of suicide bombers that just killed children. Sometimes even with their families knowledge they were going to do it. Why don't you speak up about that? Do you hate jewish children?

You're assuming she condoned the tactic of terrorism. You're quite incorrect.
    She did nothing to stop it, or preach against it. She was no hero...just part of the problem.
  18.    #19  

She did nothing to stop it, or preach against it. She was no hero...just part of the problem.
    I'm sad for you.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I'm sad for you.

Not as sad as I am for you. Because your political beliefs fall on one side, you completely disregard child killing. I guess to you, its alot worse to bull doze somebodies home, than it is to kill a child.

With that being said, Its sad that Corrie was killed. But I say again, she was no hero.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast