1.    #1  
    Beauty Queen was text messaging when hit by train

Deaf beauty contest winner Tara McAvoy was walking along the railroad tracks from her Austin, Texas, home to her mother's workplace, text-messaging family and friends, when a train struck her, according to the Austin Police Department.
    Yeah, that was horrible. I still can't believe she didn't feel something. When those trains get close you can feel the horns rumbling under your feet.
    But isn't like listing under "the dangers of smoking" the peeps who get killed in car accidents on the way to buy a pack of cigarettes ? If she was reading a paperback or a school book would the headline be "the dangers of reading" or "the dangers of education" ?
    I think her getting hit has more to do with her being deaf than her texting, but still she didnt "feel" the train coming?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    If train was along a busy highway, vibrations may have been lost in truck traffic maybe ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    If train was along a busy highway, vibrations may have been lost in truck traffic maybe ?
    That's a plausible scenario. But, if she was then--and I'm sorry to speak ill of the departed--she wasn't very bright. I mean, does a deaf person not know the dangers of walking along train tracks?
    That's pretty awful....

Text messaging can be an huge distraction...I know I have been guilty of not even hearing my name being called if I'm furiously typing away on my phone. Hell, I've seen plenty of people so engrossed in a simple phone conversation that they don't even realize their car is drifting. I imagine that same focus can carry over to texting to the point of not feeling any environmental cues from an oncoming train.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    That's a plausible scenario. But, if she was then--and I'm sorry to speak ill of the departed--she wasn't very bright. I mean, does a deaf person not know the dangers of walking along train tracks?
    Or along a busy highway...
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."