Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have grown to really respect the knowledge base here @ TC.
    So I thought this was my best place for feedback.

All my computers are really starting to Bogg Down!

What are ones using for Firewalls, Spyware, Virus Protection, Etc.

I have used Norton, but I hear it boggs the system.
    I am currently using AVG Free Edition for virus protection.
    And the built in Windows Firewall w/ XP.

I own an Architectural Design Firm. (Self Employed)
    So it's not like I can just 'Roll-it-Over to the Man'
    All stations are Hard-Linked w/ a simple Network (not wireless)
    I am grabbing a Signal from a Broadcasted Internet Service in our Complex.
    At this point, money is not a big issue,
    I'm loosing more money watching hourglasses.

Any Recommendations?
    Just call me Berd.
    I use Symantec Antivirus Coporate Edition and my experience
    is it is not a hog like Norton AV. The automatic update keeps
    everything smooth in an unobtrusive manner.

Then there is the Windows Defender Beta 2 for spyware etc.

These are set to run automatically every day at night and do
    a full system scan.

Between these, they have managed to keep everything up
    and working reasonably well.

- mvk
    Game over!
    Zone Alarm and McAfee are the best ones IMO. I was using Zone Alarm Pro, but switched to McAfee a couple months ago. McAfee found a couple of things Zone Alarm missed. I really like McAfee now.

I dumped Norton several years ago, because it uses too much system resources and running a virus scan really slowed down the computer, plus it kept telling me to activate it every month even though I already did.
  4.    #4  
    greenhex,
    Were you not a Pig?
    Just call me Berd.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle
    greenhex,
    Were you not a Pig?
    Yeah... I'll be back soon enough... like in five minutes.

I forgot to add I also installed and tried out Ad-Aware
    SE Personal (from google.com) and got tired (tried->tired!)
    of it and diabled it.

I gather that you require more than one spyware utility
    to keep them off...

- mvk
    Firewall: ZoneAlarm Pro or Sygate are both very good. XP's built-in is weak and has missed a great deal, in my experience.

AV: Symantec AV Corporate is excellent, McAfee has gotten better in the last year or so, but used to be awful for me. Sophos is also very good.

Spyware: AdAware and Spybot S&D are both good, but you need to use both, not one or the other. Spysweeper from Webroot is a great company-wide solution.

Also, consider network-based solutions as well, rather than just host-based solutions. An intelligent proxy server, of which there are many to choose from, can work wonders. Obviously a hardware firewall would be worth looking into as well. It's harder to offer suggestions in this area without knowing more about your environment/network, and you needs, but for a small office solution I would definitely check out Sonic Firewall/router solutions.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Stay with the free antivirus, included win firewall, and download Microsoft's free spyware beta:

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx
    Put your security in the hands on M$...their track record in this space in second to none.
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Put your security in the hands on M$...their track record in this space in second to none.
    This is true, but I've been beta testing Windows One Care Live, and will definitely give them another shot when they go gold. Plus, you can't beat the price ($20 for the first year for beta testers).

I currently use Norton Internet Security, and this will be the last year I renew that license. It just slows down the computer too much during bootup and when it's scanning. It has gotten worse and worse with each new version of NIS.

At work we use Trend Micro OfficeScan, which seems harmless enough. I've heard lots of good things about Symantec AV Corp Edition, so you might want to give that a look. Supposedly it's light years better than their consumer versions.

I don't think this will work for your business, but as far as home use goes, here's something that was announced at this year's CES that I'm keeping a close eye on.....

http://www.dlink.com/products/securespot/
    I'm back!
    ExOJo,

Not to start a M$ <-> everything-else war... but you may
    want to rethink your belief. M$ has crossed a threshold with
    XP and they seem to have got their act right with the automatic
    updates and stuff. The Window Defender AntiSypware Beta 2
    does its job very nicely. The windows firewall is also good at
    protecting your system too.

The world would be unthinkable w/o M$ Office... Have you
    seen how l-o-n-g it takes for OpenOffice to startup? I do
    not have experience with Apple products, but they are simply
    too expensive... M$ is a very good compromise solution.

I believe that my "data" is more valuable than the HW and SW.
    So I manage to take regular backups. That way, my setup can
    (in the worst case) be formatted and rebuilt at short notice
    without much loss.

In the process, I have learnt not to spend too much time
    "tweaking" settings to get M$ Windows and other software
    to my liking. Instead I learn to use them and like them as they
    were out-of-the-box.

I say this as a former Unix/ Linux fanatic... Now I use M$ almost
    exclusively. I'm also dreaming of a day when I can install Linux
    on my Treo 650.

- mvk

PS: Maybe some of us feel jealous and hate Bill Gates for being
    so rich, but see this article:
    http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,70072-0.html
    for a different viewpoint. I think this link was posted here on T|C
    some time back.
    Last edited by GreenHex; 03/15/2006 at 01:23 PM.
    Game over!
    You misunderstand me.

I am not saying all things M$ are evil. I don't believe that for a second. Their products have changed the world as we know it....for better and for worse, but that is an entirely different thread.

I am saying that I do not trust the security of my network to their products. Their track record in security is abysmal. Granted, that is not really saying that other operating systems or applications are more secure, it's just that more vulnerabilities have been identified in M$ products because they are the #1 target.

I have not tested their beta spyware tool, but it's BETA. In my mind, that is not a viable option. When it goes gold, I will surely test it. Until then, and most likely even after then, I will stick with trusted 3rd party vendors.

I have personally beaten the XP firewall several times, for both ingress and egress traffic. It is a port-based firewall, which means it does not care about the application layer at all. It also offers very little configuration flexibility, which may be fine for most users, but does nothing for me. Search the web and you'll find numerous examples of the firewall failing to protect. Yes, it is better than nothing and it is free, however the OP asked for the BEST Internet Security. IMO, that does not refer to any M$ product available today.

Symantec AV and Norton AV are two entirely different products. Norton is not good. Symantec AV is excellent. Their fw and anti-spyware are crap, however. Give them a couple more years and all the products/companies they purchased should come together nicely....but not yet.

In the end, it definitely comes down to your needs. For home/personal use, XP firewall may be perfectly acceptable. For a business? Not mine. You have to ask yourself what you are trying to protect and how much is it worth to you.
    - Albert Einstein
  12.    #12  
    This is Great Info!
    Thanks Everyone for Feedback.
    It is nice to get a take on what the majority feel is the best.
    Just call me Berd.
    Either ZoneAlarm or Trend Micro PC-cillin.
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    I own an Architectural Design Firm. (Self Employed)
    I own an engineering design form so we have that in commoin. I also do IT consulting to A/E firms.

1. Half the "bog down" complaints I see come from Norton or PC-Cillin. Let the contracts expire and boom all of a sudden it starts slowing down....coincidence ? Easy enough to check....use msconfig or better yet download Mike Lin's Start Up Control Panel....uncheck the AV program and voila, slow downs gone.

For Firewall, ZA has gotten every magazine's editor's choice award since it was released and I use it on all my own and client systems.

You can pay for adaware / spyware but Lavasoft's Ad-aware and Patrick Koalla's Spybot do a fine job. Spywareblaster which you can link to out of spybot pr0ovides additional protection. Once I had MS's free beta antispyware (which they bought from Giant) once found some minor item the others missed....but that won't be free for long. MS will soon begin charging $50 a year for AV protection which I find ironic since it will only encourage them to be less vigilant about plugging security holes in their OS.

I do government work so any kind of wireless is a no-no. A decent router with NAT firewall in addition to the above should provide all the protection needed.

I use F-Prot Av as it's caught stuff both McAfee and Norrton have missed (such as AnnaK) and costs me $3 per seat. We've dumped all Norton / Symatec products except the ones they bpaught from PowerQuest as they provide half as much for twice the price of other aternatives and we are tired of the "If you have Norton" sections in software troubleshooting manuals.
    Last edited by JackNaylorPE; 03/15/2006 at 04:53 PM.
    I have not tested their beta spyware tool, but it's BETA. In my mind, that is not a viable option. When it goes gold, I will surely test it. Until then, and most likely even after then, I will stick with trusted 3rd party vendors.
    Not really. MS Beta Antispyware is the previous Editor's Choice tool from Giant Software. I think it was at Version 3 or 4 when MS bought it. I chuckled when I notived via add /remove programs, task manager or the about box (something real simple tho I don't rememeber what) that it was Giant.
    Symantec AV and Norton AV are two entirely different products. Norton is not good. Symantec AV is excellent. Their fw and anti-spyware are crap, however. Give them a couple more years and all the products/companies they purchased should come together nicely....but not yet.
    You really had me goin with this one....so much so that I called Symantec just to be sure before posting. According to Symantec, the only difference between the two is that one will cost you $429 for a 5 pak and the other will cost you $139 for a 5 pak.

Symatec 10 runs on a server and Norton 2006 doesn't. Again, according to Symantec, they both provide the same exact level of protection on a desktop, you pay more for the Symantc 10 package cause it is server based and you can have the server parcel out the upgrades to the 5 machines rather than all 5 grabbing the files individually, they are all the same dat files BTW regardless of oe you get 'em.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for the good info Jack!
    I did notice quite some time back your PE extension
    Just call me Berd.
    Thanks for the good info Jack!
    I did notice quite some time back your PE extension
    You're probaly one of the few who didn't think I taight phys ed
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You're probaly one of the few who didn't think I taight phys ed
    Jack, I was going to ask which form you owned

"I own an engineering design form"

My daughter is applying to Cal Poly for Architecture or Interior Design.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    You really had me goin with this one....so much so that I called Symantec just to be sure before posting. According to Symantec, the only difference between the two is that one will cost you $429 for a 5 pak and the other will cost you $139 for a 5 pak.

Symatec 10 runs on a server and Norton 2006 doesn't. Again, according to Symantec, they both provide the same exact level of protection on a desktop, you pay more for the Symantc 10 package cause it is server based and you can have the server parcel out the upgrades to the 5 machines rather than all 5 grabbing the files individually, they are all the same dat files BTW regardless of oe you get 'em.
    Interesting. According to my sales rep, they use a different engine. And the Norton version includes a ton of other "utilities" that the symantec version does not. I know the dat files are the same, it's the software that I seen issues with. The "Norton Internet Security" in particular has caused tons of problems on people's machines. I have never used it. I have used Symantec corporate edition for 5 years and do not have any problems with it. I am still on version 8 (which is AV ONLY), btw. I am going to call my rep tomorrow to get his answer on this...don't want to be giving out false info.
    - Albert Einstein
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast