Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by lennonhead
    Don't worry about having to use a new OS. The Mac OS is much simpler to use than Windows, you'll have no trouble learning it. My friend came over the other day (who had only used Windows) and by watching me for just a few minutes he figured out the basics......
    I haven't used Macs, mainly because I'm a Windows developer at work.
    My question is, softwarewise, if a person has been using the Windows Office platform(Word, Excel, Access) because that is the corporate standard, will a person be forced to buy a Windows machine if they take work home?
    I think that Microsoft has Word and Excel for the Mac, but I'm not sure.
    I know there is an Windows Emulator for the Mac, but is it feasable?
    Office 2001 for the Mac is probably the best release of Office ever (Mac OR PC). It includes Word, Excel, Powerpoint (blech!), and Enterouge...which is sort of like Outlook. MS FINALLY updated Outlook server for the Mac, so I have a hunch that Enterouge is going to become the new Outlook for Mac.

It does not include Access, and never will. So, if you do a lot of Access work, you need to stick with Windows. Of course, you could use Filemaker without any hitch if you need database tools.

Virtual PC is certainly feasible for running Windows software, bit isn't as fast as a new PC would be, of course.

I work for a Windows software company and do most of my work on my G4. When I need to use some Windows apps, I just launch Virtual PC and have the best of both worlds.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
    I would recommend Toshiba, as they make well-engineered systems in both laptops and desktops. Right now, there are fairly high-speed (thereabouts 500MHz) laptop systems for under $2000 which have 6-10gb drives and 14" TFT displays -- almost identical to the system I'm using now that cost $3500 two years ago. Laptops can be moved from room-to-room easily, which is why I got one.

Desktops use a drawer-method to access the insides. Simply unlatch the front panel, and pull. Everything is right there to service.
    I myself had no experience with a Mac before my purchase. I had everything I used on my old pc figured out on my Mac within a day. I'd suggest getting Virtual PC when switching platforms, just to be safe. That way if your software isn't Mac compatible you can use your old software while looking for and purchasing the better software available to the Mac .
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Originally posted by visor empowered
    ...The new iMac will have an internal CD-RW drive as well as other goodies....
    Why in the world would they put a CD burner in, but not a floppy drive!!!!

Anyway, back to the topic. Whatever you do, stay away from "shared" video like the eMachines have. VRam (Video Ram) is about 2.5x faster than system RAM, and you'll notice the slowdown.
    Tim
    <A HREF="http://vbq1.tripod.com/"></A>
    MoKnoi -

I am writing this reply on a Dell as we speak - it is our first "real" computer. We've had it for about a year now, and couldn't be happier. Advice on a few must-haves -

- CD Burner
    - at least 128mb RAM
    - most important - get as good a monitor as you can afford!

We upgraded to the 19 inch trinitron monitor, and it is amazing... I thought it would be too big, but I wouldn't trade it for anything! Be careful if you have a confined desk space, though - we had to shop for a desk to fit the larger monitor. But again, don't skimp on this!

We got all the above and an upgraded speaker package for under your$2,000 budget. THere are many good computers for less, but the technology is pretty stable now, and you should be happy with a new dell system for many years....

mattr
    You're still using floppies? That's *so* 'last decade'. ;o)

I agree about the monitor. Actually, in order of importance, I'd list your purchase decisions as:

Good chair
    Good desk
    Good monitor (as big as you can afford)
    Good input device (keyboard/mouse or trackball/keyboard tray)
    Good software
    and then, finally, the computer.

In the end, the computer, itself, is really the least of your expenses.

-David Byrne
    Originally posted by homer
    You're still using floppies? That's *so* 'last decade'. ;o)

I agree about the monitor. Actually, in order of importance, I'd list your purchase decisions as:

Good chair
    Good desk
    Good monitor (as big as you can afford)
    Good input device (keyboard/mouse or trackball/keyboard tray)
    Good software
    and then, finally, the computer.

In the end, the computer, itself, is really the least of your expenses.

I seconde the chair and monitor. I bought a nice chair for myself with allowance a couple of years ago, and then I got a wireless keyboard for christmas which is GREAT.

BEN
    Whew! You guys sure have thrown a lot of info at MoKoni!

The lady says she has experience with a Dell, an I'll jus' bet it weren't runnin' a Mac OS.

MoKoni, here is my experience: I've been using PC's since 1984. I've owned more than I want to admit, and currently have 3 desktop PC's at home (plus a file server for my home network -- a Novell network -- I am not a Microsoft geek!). None of them is a Dell. BUT, I'm a network engineer responsible for over 600 PC's at work. Dells, you ask? Only my file servers, the most critical PC's in the place, and about 25+ laptops. I have techs to fix desktop PC's, so I buy inexpensive clones made with quality components from ASI. Dell's service won't let my guys work on them while they're under warranty. My guys cannot, however, fix a salesman's or engineer's laptop while he is in Backwoods, Arkansas or Peoria, Illinois. Dell will send a repairman to their hotel room to fix whatever's broken. Not that they need to very often, but stuff does happen. I recommend Dell over Gateway based on the reports I hear from users at work. No one has brought their Dell in from home to ask us to fix them. We see Gateways a lot.

My sister in Indianapolis bought a Dell 3 years ago based on my recommendation, and is still thrilled with it.

I do consulting on the side, and recommend Dell 'cause I don't like phone calls in the middle of the night.

As far as the Apple (MAC) vs Windows arguments go, if you are a graphic designer or a professional musician, definitely buy the Mac; otherwise, buy as much RAM and monitor as you can squeeze into a Dell on your budget. There is a LOT more software available for the Windows platform.

Don't forget to think about how you will connect to the Internet. If you have broadband cable access available in your area -- cool, get that after you buy the PC. If not, be sure to have Dell include a 56K modem in your new PC.

Sorry for such a long-winded reply, but, hey -- it's been a long-winded thread.

[Edited by thisisside5 on 01-24-2001 at 03:38 AM]
    It's electric.
    Have a NEC 17" on my pizza-box powerMac 6100. The screen's middle is at eye-level, and I despise so-called ergonomics people who claim the screen should be lower. There's also a window directly behind, despite claims that should be at right angles, increasing eyestrain due to glare.

Ergonomics is a crock invented by people with banks of fluorescents from the typewriter era who don't wish the expense of indirect lighting, and live in glass-walled skyscrapers.
    Obfuscation is the philosophy of quality politics.
    OK, the posts are getting a bit whacky now...

As far as the Apple (MAC) vs Windows arguments go, if you are a graphic designer or a professional musician, definitely buy the Mac; otherwise, buy as much RAM and monitor as you can squeeze into a Dell on your budget. There is a LOT more software available for the Windows platform.
    thisisside5: That's an old, silly, irrelevant argument (any logic in that argument dies out around 1997). People have been mentioning both PC and Mac solutions in a very fair manner in this post and are in no way trying to sway her one way or the other. Let's keep the comments objective. To counter your comment, and as I mentioned above, the choice of software MUST come first before the OS choice. Are there more programs for Windows? Certainly. Is that a benefit to the average user? Not at all.

Pick your software first. If it ths software is OS dependant, choose that OS. If not, choose the OS that best suits your needs and/or preferences.

Ergonomics is a crock invented by people with banks of fluorescents from the typewriter era who don't wish the expense of indirect lighting, and live in glass-walled skyscrapers.
    Fishscaler: Ergonomics are certainly not a crock. What works for you may not work for the next person. Set your system up so that it is comfortable for YOU. THAT is ergonomically correct.

Ask ANY person who has been using computers (or other repeatable-task type jobs) daily for 10+ years and they will absolutely vouch for good ergonomic workstations. It'll save you from Carpal Tunnel surgery, purchasing new glasses every year, and reduce the number of trips to the chiropractor.
    -David Byrne
    (Note to Mokoni - This post has nothing to do with your choice of PC - buy what you think is best.)

homer: I made no reference to any specific post, I just gave my opinions. And I notice from your profile that you are a graphic designer. <Deleted brain hiccup about floppy drive>(Thanks, ****-richardson. I realized my mistake shortly after signing off. When I came back to edit my error, you had already caught my hasty mistake.)

I do agree that ergonomics are important, though.

My apologies to the forum. Had homer not disabled email contact in his profile, I would have sent this to him privately. I understand... you won't be able to flame me via email either, since I disabled mine when I joined, too.

I'm a newbie here, and think this site, in particular the discussion area is a great resource. I have learned a lot about my VDX here, gotten involved with SETI@home because it was mentioned here, in general, I've had a good experience here. The lady asked for advice on what to buy, and we whip out a little game of "Mine is best". I will not however, allow myself to be drawn into a pissing contest over Apple vs WINTEL. If you own a mac and like it -- great! If you think that only a Windows PC can float your boat, that's fine too. I'm glad that there are choices enough for everyone. I personally thought this battle over which is best had pretty much died out. At any rate, it's over for me. My intent was not to insult mac owners, or anyone else. I won't waste any more of my, or the forum's, time on it, 'cause I'm out' this thread as of now.

[Edited by thisisside5 on 01-24-2001 at 09:32 AM]
    It's electric.
    I second that about keeping the posts objective. I honestly don't think that software should be that big of a factor for the average user. Both systems have word processors, databases, spreadsheets, drawing programs, painting programs, slide show programs, and internet capabilities. These programs are pretty much the same across platforms. In Word for Win95 I pressed control-c to copy, control-x to cut, and control-v to paste. Now I use the command key instead. Netscape and IE are the same. So's Outlook Express. The iMac is ideal for me because it's one nice computer in one machine. It's easy to move, there are less wires, there's less setup, USB is 99% *****-proof, and I didn't have to spend extra money for nice speakers,an Ethernet card, a microphone, or the ability to read text out loud. It's better looking, too. I think looks should be part of the consideration process because your going to look at it every day that you own it. Why not make that a pleasant experience? However, your needs may differ.
    -Joshua
    Originally posted by thisisside5
    And by the way, if floppies are so useless, what do you use to start your PC when your hard disk dies? And they do die in Apples too I have used and maintained them, as well.
    You use the system software cd that came with your computer, the one that's already loaded with troubleshooting software to help identify and fix the problem. Or you can use the hardware troubleshooting cd to check the hardware if the other cd didn't fix the problem. It's nice because that cd holds a hell of a lot more than a 1.44mb floppy. I'm not a graphics designer, by the way. I'm a college student. I think it is good that you brought that up, however. The ease of troubleshooting when something goes wrong should definitely be a consideration when buying a computer.

[Edited by ****-richardson on 01-24-2001 at 01:21 AM]
    -Joshua
    I understand, you won't be able to flame me via email either, since I disabled mine when I joined, too.
    I will not however, allow myself to be drawn into a pissing contest over Apple vs WINTEL.
    thisisside5...chill! I'm not battling you! I'm just pointing out that your comment was unfounded. That's all. No biggie.

It sounds like you do not use Macs, and that is fine, but unless you use BOTH PCs and Macs, you can't really say which one is better. Now, maybe you do use them both, and that you personally feel that having more software for your PC makes it more useful for you. Well, OK then.

I'm not even saying Macs or PCs are better...I'm just trying to keep the comments neutral so that Mokoni can make an unbiased decision.

Granted, I'm sure Mokoni is has already tired of this thread
    -David Byrne
  16.    #36  
    Not only have all of you provided me with GREAT information about computers (I think that we have decided on a Dell), you have also put a smile on my face today. I really had to laugh out loud when I read some of the posts.

I've created a monster!

Seriously, thank you all very much. I actually printed out this entire thread to take home so I make sure to get the right thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12