View Poll Results: Foie gras...whaddya think?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I *LOVE* it!!!

6 31.58%
  • Meh. Tried it. Wasn't crazy about it.

2 10.53%
  • FOIE GRAS!?! Do you realize how they make that?!?

4 21.05%
  • Fwah wha?

7 36.84%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I love food. Good food. Oftentimes, expensive food. I think I'm a good person, but some of you may disagree when I tell you that I absolutely love foie gras. I'm a foie gras addict. The only thing keeping me from eating it every day at every meal is that it's expensive and it's not sold at local grocery stores and only available at one local restaurant.

What about you?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
    Not big on the pates but I love caviar. But at $90 an ounce I can do without.
    You have no option for "like" in your poll . I can't say "love". I did try it before and it was good, but not enough to love, for me. They sell it at a local grocery store here.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Forgetting the animal cruelty issue which would influence a few peeps, the idea of force feeding until a duck's liver blows up to 10 times it size just kills my appetite.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE

Forgetting the animal cruelty issue which would influence a few peeps, the idea of force feeding until a duck's liver blows up to 10 times it size just kills my appetite.

Normal goose liver compared with liver from bird force-fed for foie gras

Ducks and geese are force-fed until their liver expands to an abnormally large size perhaps 10 times that of a normally-fed bird.

The birds are restrained and grain is forced down the throat through a pipe.

Yum...
    ALL commercial meat animals are prepared cruelly. If you really want to protest, become a vegetarian, because no animal gets an easy way of life if it's used for food.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    yeah and what about the poor little worms the duck would eat if u pulled him off that machine, oh wait worms aren't cute, my bad
  9.    #9  
    I think I came across something somewhere that suggested that some farms (or whatever they call themselves) do this in a more humane way, though it seems a bit suspect. I try not to think about it, which seems insensitive, I know. Of course, I think you need to do the same in regards to veal which tastes delicious but comes from young cows.

For those of you who have mentioned "pates" or finding foie gras in your local supermarket, I think you're mistaken. Foie gras is typically pretty expensive stuff. Pates you might find locally are usually made from a combination of cheaper livers and have a much different flavor (though often still quite delicious).

The foie gras I've had has been either of a cold poached (?) variety served with "toasts" and some sort of sweet relish. Here, the foie gras tastes very much like butter. Seriously, it's like taking a large cold chunk of quality butter and putting a hunk of that on a toast with some sweet relish. Which begs the question...might I be just as happy if I took a big cold chunk of butter and ate that and imagined that it was something more special than butter?

The other way I've had it is seared. Here, it's warm and has a more gelatinous texture. Again, it's often prepared with something sweeter (e.g., figs). Again, delicious, though here you'd be harder pressed to come up with an alternative that offers a similar taste and texture.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by theBlaze74
    yeah and what about the poor little worms the duck would eat if u pulled him off that machine, oh wait worms aren't cute, my bad
    You've raised a point that I always scratch my head on. I consider myself an animal "lover" (in that I've had several cats in growing up and once rescued a kitten abandoned by its mother and nursed it back to health by feeding it daily with an eye-dropper). But I get a kick out of what I see as the hypocrisy in terms of which creatures are given special value. For example, why do people care about dolphin-friendly tuna but not care about the "poor" tuna? And why do people get up in arms about people eating dogs or horses but it's OK to those same people to eat cows or chickens?

None of the above has anything to do with truly torturous behavior of animals, which is in question (or perhaps not in question) as it relates to the "manufacturing" of foie gras. My wife and I try to purchase organic products as much possible, partially for the (hopefully) healthier aspects, but I also like the idea of purchasing products that are usually produced from free-range animals fed healthier grains.

Which brings me to something I'm curious about...is making the duck/goose liver abnormally large necessary to produce the flavor of the end product or is it just about producing more of the product? If the former, it would seem to me that you could have foie gras that was just as delicious (though likely more expensive) that came from a duck/goose that was fed a normal diet, no?
    Those pics remind me of my teenage years. We'd use a similar apparatus along with lots o' beer. Doing that long enough would no doubt alter your liver as well.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Those pics remind me of my teenage years. We'd use a similar apparatus along with lots o' beer. Doing that long enough would no doubt alter your liver as well.
    Yeah, I think the guy in the hood looks familiar. Put a bottle of tequila in his hand and a whistle in his mouth and... hmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    ALL commercial meat animals are prepared cruelly. If you really want to protest, become a vegetarian, because no animal gets an easy way of life if it's used for food.
    Hey LT... if you meant me, he77 no! I love a honkin' big medium rare steak on the barbeque.

The images were posted to illustrate item three in the poll, FOIE GRAS!?! Do you realize how they make that?!? and Jack's reason for his loss of appetite.

Anyway, got to go now... some baby seals are getting away!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    For those of you who have mentioned "pates" or finding foie gras in your local supermarket, I think you're mistaken. Foie gras is typically pretty expensive stuff. Pates you might find locally are usually made from a combination of cheaper livers and have a much different flavor (though often still quite delicious).
    No, I indeed got it at the local supermarket called Treasure Island. Chicagoans know the places. They often carry exotic and expensive food. This was a while ago though, but I believe they still carry it. Nieman Marcus had it too when the "Epicure" was open.

Foie gras is available from many high-end super markets and meat markets.

I can get it any time I want at my local Wegmans.

You can also order it directly from one of the two U.S. producers of Foie.

http://www.hudsonvalleyfoiegras.com/

They'll ship it right to your house overnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott R
    Which brings me to something I'm curious about...is making the duck/goose liver abnormally large necessary to produce the flavor of the end product or is it just about producing more of the product? If the former, it would seem to me that you could have foie gras that was just as delicious (though likely more expensive) that came from a duck/goose that was fed a normal diet, no?
    It's the largeness of the liver, which results in the pure, higher fat content, which makes it taste so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    It's the largeness of the liver, which results in the pure, higher fat content, which makes it taste so good.
    Who says to themselves one day, "Hey, lets shove a tube down this bird's throat, force feed it, and see if the liver tastes better."? I wonder about those sorts of things when I hear about wierd foods like this.
    I've never been a lover of liver. When I learned in biology class that it is Mother Nature's toxic waste dump, trapping all things evil that enters a body, that pretty much sealed it for me.
    Internal organs from any animal will make me turn away. I don't get it, but then again, I don't get why millions of people drink the bodily fluid of a cow either. And why stop at milk? Why not drink bull jizz?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by emunch
    Who says to themselves one day, "Hey, lets shove a tube down this bird's throat, force feed it, and see if the liver tastes better."? I wonder about those sorts of things when I hear about wierd foods like this.

Are you aware of what they do to "regular" food animals? It isn't any better. Like I've said before, if you really want to protest, become a vegetarian. Or don't complain about the "poor" animals if you're going to continue eating meat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast