View Poll Results: Foie gras...whaddya think?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I *LOVE* it!!!

6 31.58%
  • Meh. Tried it. Wasn't crazy about it.

2 10.53%
  • FOIE GRAS!?! Do you realize how they make that?!?

4 21.05%
  • Fwah wha?

7 36.84%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Got soymilk?
    Visor-->Visor Phone-->Treo 180-->Treo 270-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700P-->Treo 755P-->Centro-->Pre+-->Pre 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    Are you aware of what they do to "regular" food animals? It isn't any better. Like I've said before, if you really want to protest, become a vegetarian. Or don't complain about the "poor" animals if you're going to continue eating meat.

I don't think he was complaining or protesting. I think he was musing about how people first "discover" that enlarging the animal's liver by force feeding it makes it tastier.

It's a good question...who looked at a goose and said "you know, this goose liver is damn good, but I'll bet that if I force a goose to eat 10 times as much, until his liver almost explodes...it'll be REALLY yummy".
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Yeah, maybe you're right. My apology to Emunch if so.

I just get a little touchy about people who talk about animal abuse for food animals, yet still eat meat.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Good points.

Yeah, maybe you're right. My apology to Emunch if so.

I just get a little touchy about people who talk about animal abuse for food animals, yet still eat meat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Good points.
    JOEBIALEK, is that you?
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Are you aware of what they do to "regular" food animals? It isn't any better. Like I've said before, if you really want to protest, become a vegetarian. Or don't complain about the "poor" animals if you're going to continue eating meat.
    LT, at least the animals have the ability to fight back (bite, kick, spit, crap on, and so on) those poor veggies just sit in the field waiting on some barbarian to come along and whack off their head (lettuce, cabbage), rip out their roots (carrots, potatos) they are totally defenseless.
    SAVE THE VEGGIES!!!!
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Yeh, I wasn't complaining, just musing. Like, who looked at slimy fish eggs and thought they would tast good on a cracker? Cracked open an egg and decided to fry it up? Didn't they see where that came out of? How about cracked open an egg, found the bird in there, and decided it would be a delicacy? On a TV show the other day they wrapped an octopus around a stick and swallowed it whole, alive. Why? You can't even taste it, why bother? Why pay so much for the opportunity?

I just wonder about all that sort of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by emunch
    Yeh, I wasn't complaining, just musing. Like, who looked at slimy fish eggs and thought they would tast good on a cracker? Cracked open an egg and decided to fry it up? Didn't they see where that came out of? How about cracked open an egg, found the bird in there, and decided it would be a delicacy? On a TV show the other day they wrapped an octopus around a stick and swallowed it whole, alive. Why? You can't even taste it, why bother? Why pay so much for the opportunity?

I just wonder about all that sort of stuff.
    Those are the easy one. What I want to know is who was it that first stuck his head into a barrel of rotting grains and thought "Mmm, beer."
    it's nasty stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Those are the easy one. What I want to know is who was it that first stuck his head into a barrel of rotting grains and thought "Mmm, beer."
    Homer Simpson's forefathers.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by emunch
    Who says to themselves one day, "Hey, lets shove a tube down this bird's throat, force feed it, and see if the liver tastes better."? I wonder about those sorts of things when I hear about wierd foods like this.
    The French, in this case.

But I've wondered about that myself. Other things to think about...some foods/animals are OK to eat cooked but can't be eaten raw, while others are OK to eat raw. Who were the first guinea pigs to figure that out for the rest of us?
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.
  12.    #32  
    No, I indeed got it at the local supermarket called Treasure Island. Chicagoans know the places. They often carry exotic and expensive food. This was a while ago though, but I believe they still carry it. Nieman Marcus had it too when the "Epicure" was open.
    I stand corrected. Lucky you. I live in Connecticut with a few upper-income towns nearby and I have yet to spot real foie gras for sale at any local grocery store.
  13.    #33  
    Not big on the pates but I love caviar. But at $90 an ounce I can do without.
    I've only had caviar in very small quantities used more as a condiment with other things. Got any recommendations for good bang-for-the-buck caviar and how you would recommend serving/eating it?
    Well, real traditional caviar is from sturgeon. Many will say that real caviar is beluga but, if I'm not mistaken, there's been an import ban on beluga because of aleged over fishing in the Caspian. At any rate, there are still decent varieties of non-Beluga caviar. Stay away from anything under $30/ounce. Chances are that it won't taste anything like caviar.

The way to eat it varies upon taste. I like it with chopped egg whiles, onions and sour cream on a soft bread. Some like it on crackers but I think that detracts from the unusual texture of caviar which is part of the experience. Also, people will tell you that you need to serve it on a pearl or gold spoon. But in reality you just need to stay away from silver or stainless steel spoons.
    WTF is wrong with just a nice fat piece of Prime Rib? Who needs goat balls, or any other of these friggin weird foods anyways?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    WTF is wrong with just a nice fat piece of Prime Rib? Who needs goat balls, or any other of these friggin weird foods anyways?
    Exactly! Eating a pigs *** is what god intened, and eating a goat's leg is just wrong.
    omg, i cant say a s s?
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Not a dam thing wrong prime rib or a nice medium rare ribeye or even a porterhouse. But do I have to limit my love to the red meats only? I mean, fish and fowl were made for something, right? Take the salmon, for example. Those little guys swim thousands of miles upstream to spawn just to produce more salmon for us to eat. Should they have traveled and travailed so much in vain? I say NO! The little fishies deserve to be eaten just as much as the cow and I for one will stand up for their rights!
    Not a dam thing wrong prime rib or a nice medium rare ribeye or even a porterhouse. But do I have to limit my love to the red meats only? I mean, fish and fowl were made for something, right? Take the salmon, for example. Those little guys swim thousands of miles upstream to spawn just to produce more salmon for us to eat. Should they have traveled and travailed so much in vain? I say NO! The little fishies deserve to be eaten just as much as the cow and I for one will stand up for their rights!
    Don't have anything against teH Fish. A smoked salmon filet is great. But I don't need to smear its eggs all over a cracker. Fish eggs belong on the business end of a treble hook, and cast into a body of water, so that I may capture and feast upon fully developed fish!
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    I can appreciate that. But I don't see much difference, in principle, between spreading fish eggs over a cracker and dipping my toast in the yolk of a chicken egg. Again, I'm an equal opportunity consumer.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast