Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Poll: Troops signal desire to come home

Survey of US troops finds that 72 percent want to withdraw within a year.

By Tom Regan | csmonitor.com
    A large majority of US troops think the US should withdraw completely from Iraq within a year. Stars and Stripes reports that the poll of 944 US troops in Iraq, conducted by Zogby International, found that only 23 percent of service members felt that the US should "stay as long as needed." Although the poll, conducted in January and February of 2006, was carried out without Pentagon approval, Zogby International said they did have the approval of commanders in Iraq.

Of the 72 percent, 22 percent said troops should leave within the next six months, and 29 percent said they should withdraw “immediately.” Twenty-one percent said the US military presence should end within a year; 5 percent weren’t sure.

The poll was funded by Le Moyne College’s Center for Peace and Global Studies, which received money for the project from an anonymous antiwar activist. John Zogby, the president of Zogby International, said neither the college nor the donor had imput on the content of the poll, or how it was conducted. Of those surveyed, 75 percent had served multiple tours in Iraq, 63 percent were under 30 years of age, and 25 percent were women.

One surprising finding in the poll is that 85 percent of those surveyed believe that the US's main mission in Iraq is to retaliate against Saddam Hussein for his role in the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Numerous commissions and studies have been unable to find that Iraq played any role in the 9/11 bombings. Meanwhile, 93 percent said that they did not think that removing weapons of mass destruction was the reason they were in Iraq. "We were surprised by that, especially the 85 percent [figure]," Zogby said. "Clearly that is much higher than the consensus among the American public, and the public's perception [on that topic] is much higher than the actual reality of the situation."

--------------------------------------------

OMG, now that is freaking bizarre!! That 85% believe Hussein was involved in 9-11 and that 93% think removing WMDs was NOT a reason.

Wow!
    Let the truth be told. For once.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
    This is one of those 'duh' polls.

How bout another poll, "Would you like to have more money within the next year?"
    What truth hasn't been told? Are you referring to media, polls, administration?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    Let the truth be told. For once.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    This is one of those 'duh' polls.

How bout another poll, "Would you like to have more money within the next year?"
    Where is the duh regarding the poll numbers on Hussein being involved in 9-11 and the lack of belief in WMDs being the reason for invasion? You don't find that odd?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Interesting data. I hope you read the entire article. Only 9% of the active duty (Marines) polled thought we should pullout immediately compared to 40+% of reservist and guard. The poll was funded by an anti-war group (The poll was funded by Le Moyne College’s Center for Peace and Global Studies, which received money for the project from an anonymous antiwar activist) so of course the data will be shown in their favor.
    A group can make a poll show whatever it wants the poll to say.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    Wow, the results of this poll are truly shocking. 29% of the troops being shot at want to come home immediately.

The only thing shocking about this is that it's not 100%.

I agree with ATM. What will the results of the "Would you like to have more money within the next year?" poll be?

I'm back!
    Well all I can say is that my Brothers feel the same way. They want to come home, the sad part is they only know so much about why they were really there in the Middle East to begin with. So from someone who's brothers are over there now I know for a fact its more than 9%. For a fact. Let Bush fight his own war.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Interesting data. I hope you read the entire article. Only 9% of the active duty (Marines) polled thought we should pullout immediately compared to 40+% of reservist and guard. The poll was funded by an anti-war group (The poll was funded by Le Moyne College’s Center for Peace and Global Studies, which received money for the project from an anonymous antiwar activist) so of course the data will be shown in their favor.
    A group can make a poll show whatever it wants the poll to say.
    Wow, a lot of defensiveness from our rightist breatheren. You ask if people read the entire article? Did you read the following, "the president of Zogby International, said neither the college nor the donor had imput(sic) on the content of the poll, or how it was conducted."

But the fact that the soldiers want to come home is not a surprise I agree. The numbers regarding the 9-11 association and the WMDs, THAT'S DAMNED SURPRISING!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Well all I can say is that my Brothers feel the same way. They want to come home, the sad part is they only know so much about why they were really there in the Middle East to begin with. So from someone who's brothers are over there now I know for a fact its more than 9%. For a fact. Let Bush fight his own war.
    Really you know for a fact, because you have been there or just because that is the way you feel? I thought you said your brothers were in AG not Iraq?
    Do you know 15000 troops?
    I'm back!
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    OMG, now that is freaking bizarre!! That 85% believe Hussein was involved in 9-11 and that 93% think removing WMDs was NOT a reason.
    Wow!
    That is quite sad, actually, as it reflects on society as a whole, and not just the biases of repubs/dems. What are these people paying attention to?

Oh, and I say that while being a supporter of the initial invasion, based upon the WMD intel we had (at that time) and based upon several other less important reasons.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Wow, a lot of defensiveness from our rightist breatheren. You ask if people read the entire article? Did you read the following, "the president of Zogby International, said neither the college nor the donor had imput(sic) on the content of the poll, or how it was conducted."

But the fact that the soldiers want to come home is not a surprise I agree. The numbers regarding the 9-11 association and the WMDs, THAT'S DAMNED SURPRISING!
    Again, the poll was conducted by Zogby, but the questions came from the anti-war group, that is how polls work. I give you a set of questions I want answered and you do the legwork and formulate the %s. Now the way I write the question will more than likely give me the answer I want. I have been involved in developing questions for polls (non-political) and we proved that we could have a 3rd party do the research and get the answer we wanted.
    Polls like this mean nothing.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Again, the poll was conducted by Zogby, but the questions came from the anti-war group, that is how polls work. I give you a set of questions I want answered and you do the legwork and formulate the %s. Now the way I write the question will more than likely give me the answer I want. I have been involved in developing questions for polls (non-political) and we proved that we could have a 3rd party do the research and get the answer we wanted.
    Polls like this mean nothing.
    Please note!: "...Zogby International, said neither the college nor the donor had imput(sic) on the content of the poll..."

Which polls do mean something? Bush doesn't listen to the polls but something sure did drag his **** onto ABC News last evening.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Please note!: "...Zogby International, said neither the college nor the donor had imput(sic) on the content of the poll..."

Which polls do mean something? Bush doesn't listen to the polls but something sure did drag his **** onto ABC News last evening.
    From Zogby site
    "The poll, conducted in conjunction with Le Moyne College’s Center "

I have looked and could not find a list of specific questions asked. I have sent a request to Zogby for a list of questions, they have sent me info before so we will see.
    The military isn't a democracy. There's a reason they have a chain of command.
    The way the poll was rigged, it is a useless survey. More substance would have been uncovered had they asked, do you agree with US policy to be in Iraq?
    [b]Poll: Troops signal desire to come home

93% think removing WMDs was NOT a reason.

Wow!
    Maybe many of those polled feel like the reason they are there is to provide security for democracy to grow. The invasion was 3 years ago. If that same question was posed 3 years ago once we invaded and Iraq/Saddam fell, the % would have been near 0%. They now know the common belief Iraq did not have WMD's. It is a tainted question and tainted poll, very poorly executed.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    The military isn't a democracy. There's a reason they have a chain of command.
    Yea, don't think anyone is suggesting otherwise.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    The way the poll was rigged, it is a useless survey. More substance would have been uncovered had they asked, do you agree with US policy to be in Iraq?

Given, the number of survey respondents that believe in a Hussein/9-11 link as being the main reason for the U.S. invasion of Iraq, why would their response to a question about US policy matter?

How was this poll "rigged"?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast