Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 70
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    The way the poll was rigged, it is a useless survey. More substance would have been uncovered had they asked, do you agree with US policy to be in Iraq?
    Again, I say: the military isn't a democracy. Nor should it be. If it was, Valley Forge would have been a very different place and so would the United States. These polls, by definition, are useless.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Advance The Man
    Maybe many of those polled feel like the reason they are there is to provide security for democracy to grow. The invasion was 3 years ago. If that same question was posed 3 years ago once we invaded and Iraq/Saddam fell, the % would have been near 0%. They now know the common belief Iraq did not have WMD's. It is a tainted question and tainted poll, very poorly executed.
    Given that line of thought, why would 85% believe the main mission in Iraq is to retaliate for the Hussein involveent in the 9-11 attacks.
  3.    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Again, I say: the military isn't a democracy. Nor should it be. If it was, Valley Forge would have been a very different place and so would the United States. These polls, by definition, are useless.
    Again, I'm wondering who you think is trying to suggest the military is a democracy? The poll is not useless as it shows potential morale tipping points and also where commanders may need to educate or reiterate mission objectives.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Again, I'm wondering who you think is trying to suggest the military is a democracy? The poll is not useless as it shows potential morale tipping points and also where commanders may need to educate or reiterate mission objectives.
    I'd like to see the specific questions. But, if the poll is indeed accurate as stated then the troops on the ground may not have a firm grasp on the details of the mission as a whole but I'm sure they're not lacking details of their own specified missions.
  5. #25  
    As an aside, if you weren't suggesting as a primary part of your point that most of the troops wanted to come home then you should change the title of the thread.
  6. #26  
    Um I don't know 15000 but I know more than the 9% as my family is all military. One brother in Afganistan one in Iraq. I didn't say both of them were in Iraq. I said they were in the middle east. If you are going to be ignorant get it right at least...Oh and i haven't served in the military as I decided to go to college instead. Thanks.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
  7. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Given, the number of survey respondents that believe in a Hussein/9-11 link as being the main reason for the U.S. invasion of Iraq, why would their response to a question about US policy matter?

    How was this poll "rigged"?
    No way of knowing unless you see the question, the possible answer choices, the order the choices were given to the respondants, and the answers that were invalidated by the polling group as a minimum.

    If the questions was

    Why are you stationed in Iraq?
    1.) To defeat terrorism worldwide
    2.) Remove Saddam Hussein from power
    3.) Because Saddam sponsored terrorism that had implications in 9/11
    4.) To remove all WMDs
    5.) To ensure Iraqi people vote for a democracy

    The average military member would probably narrow their answer down to the reason they as an individual are there. As an individual most are not there to remove WMDs, that is a special skill they would not have, they would also shy away from saying as an individual they can defeat worldwide terrorism in Iraq, or see to it that the Iraqi population vote a democracy in. If you have a list of questions asked, post them.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  8. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    Um I don't know 15000 but I know more than the 9% as my family is all military. One brother in Afganistan one in Iraq. I didn't say both of them were in Iraq. I said they were in the middle east. If you are going to be ignorant get it right at least...Oh and i haven't served in the military as I decided to go to college instead. Thanks.

    Wow, your family composes more than 9% of the military in the middle east. If you chose to go to college, use the education gained to formulate answers without the petty attempts at insults. You have shown the tendancy to throw out insults when someone disagrees with your point of view instead of providing solid data .
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    As an aside, if you weren't suggesting as a primary part of your point that most of the troops wanted to come home then you should change the title of the thread.
    It's the title of the news article.
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    Again, I say: the military isn't a democracy. Nor should it be. If it was, Valley Forge would have been a very different place and so would the United States. These polls, by definition, are useless.
    thats funny, obviously you havent studied your military history very well. do you know how much washington had to promise to keep everyone from walking away and going home? even with how charismatic he was?

    you think he just yelled at them like some drill sergeant? told them they were his property? i think not.
  11. #31  
    you freaking people honestly disgust me with you "the military is not a democracy crap" especially when you have never been there. The military is more of a democracy then you will ever know and it always has been. We do what we do because we choose to, not because an officer will shoot us if we don't. IF YOU DONT KNOW, DONT SAY YOU DO.

    the sad thing is that i agree with alot of your liberal stances, at least in theory but dont you dare degrade my service or that of my brothers by using us as lab mice in some poll and then saying that we have no choice but to do what the higher ups say
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Wow, your family composes more than 9% of the military in the middle east. If you chose to go to college, use the education gained to formulate answers without the petty attempts at insults. You have shown the tendancy to throw out insults when someone disagrees with your point of view instead of providing solid data .
    Didn't say my family composes more than 9%. You did. I chose college to free my mind and use it to express my opinions. Just because I don't agree with your ideas make me a bad person for insulting. I can take an insult just as I can dish them just as quickly. I give you a as I don't need to provide data to anyone. Your the one who needs to be convinced not me.
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
  13. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigBadWolf
    Didn't say my family composes more than 9%. You did. I chose college to free my mind and use it to express my opinions. Just because I don't agree with your ideas make me a bad person for insulting. I can take an insult just as I can dish them just as quickly. I give you a as I don't need to provide data to anyone. Your the one who needs to be convinced not me.
    Here is the cut and pasted sentence you posted.

    "Um I don't know 15000 but I know more than the 9% as my family is all military"

    You know more than the 9% as your family is all military means what then?

    I just asked that you try to use facts to make your stand instead of attempts at insults (even those are kinda lame).
    What do I need to be convinced of?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    thats funny, obviously you havent studied your military history very well. do you know how much washington had to promise to keep everyone from walking away and going home? even with how charismatic he was?

    you think he just yelled at them like some drill sergeant? told them they were his property? i think not.
    There's a big difference here. I'm not talking about compensation but about military strategy.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Here is the cut and pasted sentence you posted.

    "Um I don't know 15000 but I know more than the 9% as my family is all military"

    You know more than the 9% as your family is all military means what then?

    I just asked that you try to use facts to make your stand instead of attempts at insults (even those are kinda lame).
    What do I need to be convinced of?
    Um, yes my family is primarily military meaning in "simple terms" that they are married have children, retired, I have plenty of friends, co-workers, neighbors that make up the 9%. I'm a military brat who has been around and knows plenty of people in the military. My wife is a teacher/reservist as well. Yes you need to be convinced or else you wouldn't have posted in this particular forum. Why did you post in this forum? You have yet to make your point. Even in your other posts. You need stats? Would you like me to wheel in a few dead soldiers corpses, would you like to talk to a few of the mothers or wives or children or sisters of dead military men? I'm sure I could arrange something. The point is I see what's in front of me and all around me. I'm not some conservative who only sees one way. Bush's way that is. That would be narrow minded of me.

    Its like a nursery school in here...
    I'm so Great I'm jealous of myself!
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    you freaking people honestly disgust me with you "the military is not a democracy crap" especially when you have never been there. The military is more of a democracy then you will ever know and it always has been. We do what we do because we choose to, not because an officer will shoot us if we don't. IF YOU DONT KNOW, DONT SAY YOU DO.

    the sad thing is that i agree with alot of your liberal stances, at least in theory but dont you dare degrade my service or that of my brothers by using us as lab mice in some poll and then saying that we have no choice but to do what the higher ups say

    I think you're misunderstanding my point. Yes, its a volunteer service. Yes, people have a coice of whether to be there or not. But when it comes to military strategy, the command doesn't take formal polls of the troops to see what they should do.

    By the way, you must not have seen many of my posts if you think I'm a liberal.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    There's a big difference here. I'm not talking about compensation but about military strategy.
    right, and my point being that ALL of the malitia troops (read: Washingtons entire force at the time) were ready to pack up and leave and they had every right to. Washington appealed not only to their pocketbooks but helped them believe in what great things they could accomplish if they stuck it out. He asked them what it would take to keep them there and did his best to provide them (although congress all but ignored his requests). Sounds a lot like a democratic leadership style to me but hey, what do i know i am just one of those dumb military guys for us to use as political weapons, right?
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs
    I think you're misunderstanding my point. Yes, its a volunteer service. Yes, people have a coice of whether to be there or not. But when it comes to military strategy, the command doesn't take formal polls of the troops to see what they should do.

    By the way, you must not have seen many of my posts if you think I'm a liberal.
    that liberal comment wasnt exactly directed at you but that blonde weirdo.
  19. #39  
    uh oh,

    Quote Originally Posted by lovedatreo
    that liberal comment wasnt exactly directed at you but that blonde weirdo.
  20. #40  
    not that i like ultra conservatives any more than ultra liberals. i am very central on the spectrum.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions