I am fuming right now and I think it is time the AG got involved and shut down these scams known as Mail in Rebates. We all know the companies use MIRs as a way to advertise their products for less money and fool the consumer into thinking they are getting a better deal than they really are.

The Manufacturers first take 8-10 weeks to process your rebate and then they look for any minute detail to reject it. I try not to buy anything that has a MIR but sometimes it cannot be helped and I have never been rejected before because I read them all over word by word and line by line.

However this time I bought a Samsung 17" LCD Monitor which had three different separate MIRs...one for Circuit City and two for Samsung. Both Samsungs asked for the original UPC...now how am I supposed to send the original UPC to two different MIRs when there is only one on the box?

So I called Samsung MIR Help Line and the woman said which offer has to have the original and which could get away with a copy. Had her repeat it twice and wrote it down word for word (took the CSR's ID# and name down and included her info in my submissions). Of course when my MIRs were rejected I was told I must have misunderstood what the CSR had said...I took it to a supervisor level who read off the same BS company line.

It is time for consumers to fight back...no more Mail in Rebates...we all know they are a scam!!! I have decided I will try to avoid ever buying anything with a MIR again!

Interesting Article about MIRs

The people who offer rebates know, on a statistical average basis, exactly how many people will apply for exactly which rebates."

To demonstrate, the reader sent me an actuarial table of sorts that he had received from one of the rebate houses showing the expected percentages of rebates that would be claimed by customers. A $30 rebate on a product retailing for $100, for example, would have a claim rate of 30 percent. A free-after-rebate deal of $50 (a $50 rebate on a $50 product) would be claimed 50 percent of the time, but a $5 rebate on a $5 product only 15 percent of the time. In between those extremes, the average claim rate on the rebate fulfillment house's table was about 25 percent.

"Now, here's the interesting part," the reader wrote. "The rebate fulfillment house will GUARANTEE IN WRITING to the manufacturer that the percentage of rebates claimed as presented in this table will not be exceeded. They will eat the cost if it is."