Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Hi everyone.

I have a notebook computer I use at work (a Toshiba Satellite with a 3.2 GHZ P4 and 512 MB RAM.

I have a five year old HP Pavilion desktop at home with a 1.5GHZ P4 and 512MB RDRAM.

Running almost identical software, the old desktop seems much, much, faster than the notebook. I am thinking of adding 1GB memory to the notebook. Do you think it would make any kind of noticable difference?

Most times, I just add the memory and don't think about it, but I have never had another computer for comparison before. Besides, usually a week after adding memory I tend to not notice the speed boost anymore anyway.

Any suggestions?

Thanking you in advance,

4s
    I'm about to add more memory to my notebook too because I have a lot of programs eating up RAM. I believe it would help.

But I'd like to hear from some experienced people also.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It can make a difference depending on what software your running. Generally, I have found a great deal of difference if you go from 256 to 512, a little difference going from 512 to 1Gb, and very limited difference going over 1GB. The main benefits I have found are in video editing/rendering software and high end video games. I don't really see a great deal of differnce above 512 with apps such as IE, Firefox, email clients, Microsoft Office type packages.
    What OS you running ? XP with 512 MB is gonna be a dog.....a fat, slow dog.

Forgetting MS's imaginary minimum's, reasonable speed comes at the following RAM cost:

XP = 1024 MB
    Win2k = 512 MB
    NT4 = 256 MB

But just as important as the memory is the Hard Disk speed. I'll bet that laptop has nothing faster than a 5400 rpm 2" drive. A 3.5" drive spinning at 7200 rpm will, all otehr things being equal, 200+ % faster. You can do several things to make PC's fatser va partitioning and page file planning but they are best done upon initial setup.

Also what is the vid card situation ?
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I think JackNaylor nailed it. The notebook has only a 4200 rpm hd.

Video card is ATI Mobility RADEON 9000 IGP.
    I am also running XPHome.

The full specs are here: http://shop.pcmag.com/shop/product_s.../23405542.aspx

Thanks for all the help.
    The mainstream manufactures have all but given up hi porformance laptops. IBM hasn't made one in years and still doesn't have anything bigger than a 15" screen. That's sad when 19" models will begin to hit the streets in a month. The hi end laptop has therefore fallen to custom builders.

That Toshiba job may have an issue with higher rpm drives as I notice it is using a desktop chip rather than a mobile one (Pentium M). So the other issue is that your CPU may be throttling itself in demanding tasks to cut heat down. Yo can check this by running "throttlewatch" while running say Prime95 or 3D mark benchmarks.

The Toshiba Quasimodo or what ever it's called is a pretty darn good machine fo rmultimedia usage . But if you want to outperform that, you have to go tot he custom builders. Alienware is porbably the most well name but their rep is now in the toilet due to too many failed units and abhorrent customer servcie. Voodoo PC makes a fine laptop , albeit a bit pricey. WidowPC makes Voodoo equivalents for a few dollars less and seems to be more willing to swap compnents if you want any specials than anyone else I have looked at
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    So what do you think? Would adding memory be a waste?
    i have a P4 3.06HT 533FSB on my desktop, running dual channel PC2700 RAM; 2048MB

In my laptop, PC2100 2x 512MB (non dual channel)...laptop is P4 3.20 800FSB

my desktop flies...i mean flies big time...i have to beat her down just to keep her grounded

my laptop works pretty fast as well, but no where as fast as my desktop...i have better components in my desktop than my laptop
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    That is my situation. My desktop seems to fly but is 5 years old!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ster
    That is my situation. My desktop seems to fly but is 5 years old!
    After 1GB of RAM, you won't notice any improvements. Have you ran msconfig and cleaned up all the useless crap thats starting up and running in the background? Are you running AV software or other bloatware like Norton SystemWorks?
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I have not tried msconfig but will tonight, and i am running mcafee but not systemworks
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    After 1GB of RAM, you won't notice any improvements. Have you ran msconfig and cleaned up all the useless crap thats starting up and running in the background? Are you running AV software or other bloatware like Norton SystemWorks?
    I do "msconfig" all the time. I am also running AV, a firewall, anti-spyware and stuff like that, but it's needed on a Windoze. So you think over 1GB is a waste?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ster
    I have not tried msconfig but will tonight, and i am running mcafee but not systemworks
    When using "msconfig", be careful what you shut off because your computer won't boot right if you shut down some important things. Only shut off things like Real Player and Quicktime and stuff related to programs you don't use on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Treo
    I do "msconfig" all the time. I am also running AV, a firewall, anti-spyware and stuff like that, but it's needed on a Windoze. So you think over 1GB is a waste?
    For the average XP user, 1GB is enough. If you've got a Photoshop window open, and also mixing 32 tracks of audio with ProTools in the background, as your playing Quake and also ripping a DVD to DivX, then you might have need. But for someone just going online, running Word, etc., you're fine.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    You'll need to disable the Win32 paging executive and enable Large Cache support. Microsoft in their glorious efforts to run [OS flavor of the month] on Grandma's computer have resulted in the programming method of paging to disk [the most inefficient method known to man]. Unless you're multitasking like a mad-man disabling your Paging Executive and enabling Large Cache support should yield outstanding results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    For the average XP user, 1GB is enough. If you've got a Photoshop window open, and also mixing 32 tracks of audio with ProTools in the background, as your playing Quake and also ripping a DVD to DivX, then you might have need. But for someone just going online, running Word, etc., you're fine.
    How about Dreamweaver and Photoshop? Along with all the other stuff I mentioned? I probably wouldn't use a music program with those other 2 programs open, unless I was trying to put something on a website. But even then I'd shut down Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    You'll need to disable the Win32 paging executive and enable Large Cache support. Microsoft in their glorious efforts to run [OS flavor of the month] on Grandma's computer have resulted in the programming method of paging to disk [the most inefficient method known to man]. Unless you're multitasking like a mad-man disabling your Paging Executive and enabling Large Cache support should yield outstanding results.
    How exactly is this done, please?

How exactly is this done, please?
    HeapDecommitFreeBlockThreshold
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315407

DisablePagingExecutive
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/184419/en-us

LargeSystemCache, disregard MS's warning.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895932/en-us

Other SessionManager Keys
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/102985/en-us
    How about Dreamweaver and Photoshop? Along with all the other stuff I mentioned? I probably wouldn't use a music program with those other 2 programs open, unless I was trying to put something on a website. But even then I'd shut down Photoshop.
    Dreamweaver in and of itself isn't so bad. Are you running multiple Studio programs or do you just have Dreamweaver? Like I said earlier, if you got a bunch of intensive programs going on at the same time, another 1GB could be useful. Dreamweaver and PS at the same time can live within 1GB. If you plan to run more programs at once, then you might consider more RAM.

But too many yahoo's out there load up their machines with 2GB or 3GB of RAM, just because. Hey, it's there money (or daddy's money.) Firefox may leak memory like a sieve, but just using that, and AIM and feeding your Sim's doesn't require you to get 2GB of RAM.

Also, in addition to msconfig, you might want to run services.msc from the command line, to get a more in depth look at whats taking place on your system. You can enable/disable manually start, auto start, etc.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    So, Insertion, if 1GB is all most people need, and I already have 512MB, would it make more sense to save some money and just add another 512 stick, or would you recommend adding a 1GB stick, just in case?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast