Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Throw another 512MB in there, it's likely that laptop supports PAT so 2x512MB is actually faster than 1x1024MB or 1x512MB + 1x1024MB.
    This is for the laptop, right? Your HD is as big a factor as the RAM (unless you only had 128MB, or something silly like that.) But, just sticking to RAM, I don't really know what you're doing with your computer, so it's hard to say. But If it's not very intensive, just typical day to day use, another 512MB stick would do you good.

In the end, it's your money. Do what you want. You could put a kickstand on it for all I care.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by 4ster
    So what do you think? Would adding memory be a waste?
    1 Gig is fine for general office work and light gaming. If your gaming interst picks up, an additional Gig is desirable but may be wasted as your system is choked in other areas.
    That is my situation. My desktop seems to fly but is 5 years old!
    I have a Pentium 600 machine in here that annoys the hell outta my son (he has a 4 GHx box.....3.6 o'clocked). The hard disk in the old box however are 15,000 (twice as fast s his 7,200's) rpm and programs like AutoCAD which force writes to disk no matter how ,much RAM you have just love those SCSI hard drive. AUtoCAD can really suck up CPU cycles when you rotate an object or do anything similar where it mut recalculate 1,000's of points. But for most generic CAD usage, it's just saving many small actions to disk and sucking data off the disk. This is where hard drives really mean a lot.

A 7,200 rpm HD would help, or a 2nd HD in RAID 0 config. if you can add it.
    I have not tried msconfig but will tonight, and i am running mcafee but not systemworks
    Check out MikeLin's StartUp Control Panel....one of the best tools I have ever used. Much simpler to usee than msconfig with some extra features. IIRC, it's mlin.net but a Yahoo on Mike Lin will find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cesium1024
    HeapDecommitFreeBlockThreshold

DisablePagingExecutive

LargeSystemCache, disregard MS's warning.

Other SessionManager Keys
    For the 1st two, you should have well more than 1 Gig of RAM; OP has 512. The last is an NT4 only thing to my knowledge.

Curious as the the third tho, I have only done this on "dedicated" file servers. Most of my clients P2P adata servers where the "server" is just another work station with beefed up hard drives, 2nd processor and network support. This porcedure tells the machine to put less emphasis on running programs and more on serving files. How does this help make programs run faster ?
    So, Insertion, if 1GB is all most people need, and I already have 512MB, would it make more sense to save some money and just add another 512 stick, or would you recommend adding a 1GB stick, just in case?
    More than likely this laptop arrived with 2 x 256 and requires matched pairs of memory. So upgarding the laptop will likely require tossing and replacing with 2 x 512 for an upgrade. I agree with the Munk, most peeps don't need more than 1 GB and on most MoBos more than 2 GB's will slow things down. The only times I put 2 GB ina box is when:

Machine will serve as P2P server

AutoCAD user

Heavy Multimedia User /. Editor

Into retouching HiRes Photos

Peep has more than 2 Adobe Programs

Peep is "fragmesiter" - serious gaming is at the 2 GB level now and satrting to approach the point where 4 GB will have a noticeable effect on the right MoBo's / chipsets.....not to me or "normal" people .... but on the "I wanna win the Quake competition " level or in the "I gotta have the highest 3D Marks Score ever posted" crowd.

Of course in a lot of those instances I can get the same speed boost outta 15K SCSI hard drives (both from the rpm's and SCSI's offloading of many tasks off the CPU), more RAM and a faster CPU are a ot cheaper.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Thanks for all these great replies. Actually, I am told that the 512 in this notebook can't be removed, which is why the max RAM for it is 1.5G, because 512 has to stay.
    You can remove the memory. You just have to figure out where it is. Most of the time it's under the keyboard if you can't find it on the back of the laptop. The manufactures just don't want you to mess with it, but it has to be replacable if it ever goes bad.
    So, Insertion, if 1GB is all most people need, and I already have 512MB, would it make more sense to save some money and just add another 512 stick, or would you recommend adding a 1GB stick, just in case?
    Just drop a 512 stick in. It's cheap for the boost you'll likely see.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Well, I just opened the notebook and discovered one channel for adding memory, and it is already occupied by a 256 stick, so I guess I really should just go ahead and add 1GB, since I have to take out 256 to add anything.
    Memory ois a tuff nut....many mobos require paired modules and others special stuff...Best bet is to go to crucial.com and see what you need

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...ries&submit=Go

1GB CT405629 DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR333 2.5V 128Meg x 64 US $120.47

512MB CT405631 DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 UNBUFFERED NON-ECC DDR333 2.5V 64Meg x 64 US $60.23

256MB CT405630 DDR PC2700 CL=2.5 UNBUFFERED Non-parity DDR333 2.5V 32Meg x 64
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Just as a follow up, I went ahead and ordered a 1GB stick from Crucial and dropped it in yesterday, and things are much, much, much, (much) better. Thanks a million to everyone for your input.
    Glad 2 help. If ya need help with this kinda stuff, one place to look is:

http://community.compuserve.com/n/pf...=ws-pchardware

If ya don't get a quick answer, PM me there and I'll make sure me or one of the other sysops answers ya.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12