Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 38
  1.    #1  
    Documents support Cheney’s shooting account
    Affidavits obtained by NBC News corroborate vice president’s recollection


    By Lisa Myers, Aram Roston & the NBC Investigative Unit
    Updated: 7:13 p.m. ET Feb. 22, 2006


    WASHINGTON - NBC News has obtained new documents regarding the shooting accident involving Vice President **** Cheney.

    NBC News filed an Open Records Act request with the sheriff's office in Kenedy County, Texas, which investigated the shooting. Late Wednesday, NBC received two dozen pages of documents, including hand-written affidavits on the shooting never before made public.

    There are six new affidavits from members of the shooting party. Most are dated Feb. 15, four days after the shooting. One is dated Feb. 17, almost a week after the vice president accidentally shot his friend, Harry Whittington. Some law enforcement experts say that's an unusually long period of time, after a shooting, to gather written statements from witnesses. Ideally, they say, investigators like to get such affidavits when memories are still fresh, and can't be influenced by other witness accounts.


    In this case, all the accounts are similar and consistent with how Vice President Cheney has already described the incident. The statements say Cheney and his friend were about 30 yards apart when the vice president shot, aiming for a single bird. The statements all agree this was an accident, and no one places blame on Whittington.

    Several of the statements say that no one was drinking alcohol during the late-afternoon hunt — again, consistent with the vice president's account. One member of the hunting party does volunteer that she had a glass of wine at lunch, four hours before the accident.


    So, now will all you conspiracy theorists who claim with unwavering knowledge that Cheney was drunk and is withholding the truth just shut the #@*! up!
  2. #2  
    yawn
  3. #3  
    I guess I haven't been following it all that much...are people really saying that he was drunk?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  4. #4  
    He may need a new eyeglasses prescription though. No offense to anyone, but I've heard that it is best to get your eyes rechecked every year. Maybe he does and maybe he doesnt, but I wonder if eyesight might not have been the problem.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  5. #5  
    The real problem is not that Cheney accidently shot someone in a hunting accident, but that there is the appearance of an effort to cover up the incident.
    Compare the reporting of this with the time that Bush was bicycling in Scotland and ran into another rider. The White House spokesman immediately spoke to the press and gave all the details.
  6. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    The real problem is not that Cheney accidently shot someone in a hunting accident, but that there is the appearance of an effort to cover up the incident.
    Compare the reporting of this with the time that Bush was bicycling in Scotland and ran into another rider. The White House spokesman immediately spoke to the press and gave all the details.
    Why is there an issue of cover up? All I have heard is the national media crying because the local media was briefed instead of them.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  7. #7  
    Bah. The real issue here is this just exemplifies this admin's attitude of secrecy and lack of ANY attitude of public service.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Why is there an issue of cover up? All I have heard is the national media crying because the local media was briefed instead of them.
    Yes, the national media did act somewhat like spoiled kids not getting their way; however, the accident occurred late on a Saturday afternoon, and the story wasn't reported to any media outlet until Sunday afternoon. The question is why did it take so long for the story to be reported to anyone?
    The main actor in this story is next in line for the presidency. Any thing that happens concerning him bears directly on the wellbeing of the country.
  9. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    Yes, the national media did act somewhat like spoiled kids not getting their way; however, the accident occurred late on a Saturday afternoon, and the story wasn't reported to any media outlet until Sunday afternoon. The question is why did it take so long for the story to be reported to anyone?
    The main actor in this story is next in line for the presidency. Any thing that happens concerning him bears directly on the wellbeing of the country.
    Have to disagree on your time-line. The incident happened late Saturday
    6:30 PM, county sherrif called at 7:30 (secret service and ambulance on scene when accident happened), Corpus Christi Caller-Times reporter called at 9:00 AM Sunday. Why not wait until you have verified the condition of the victim, that the victims family were notified by an individual instead of the press, make sure that the white house was aware. There was a delay of less than 15 hours before the press was contacted, why did it take the local press antoher 6 hours to publish, I don't know ask them.
    How did the accident bear directly on the well being of the nation?
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by cardio
    Have to disagree on your time-line. The incident happened late Saturday
    6:30 PM, county sherrif called at 7:30 (secret service and ambulance on scene when accident happened), Corpus Christi Caller-Times reporter called at 9:00 AM Sunday. Why not wait until you have verified the condition of the victim, that the victims family were notified by an individual instead of the press, make sure that the white house was aware. There was a delay of less than 15 hours before the press was contacted, why did it take the local press antoher 6 hours to publish, I don't know ask them.
    How did the accident bear directly on the well being of the nation?
    If you read reports of how this was handled by the White House, the president was informed a few hours after the incident, but the public release of information was handled by the VP's office, which is not known for being forthcoming with information about anything.
    When something like this happens to a public figure, the best way to handle the publicity is to get out front as soon as possible. This wasn't the mayor of a small town, it was the vice president. If Cheney had been the victim, should the news be withheld until all details are known?
    The main problem is perception. When a very public figure is involved in something serious like this, any delay in speaking to the media is seen as an effort to either hide the incident or to manage the different accounts of eyewitnesses to put the best spin on the event.
    I truly believe that Cheney made a stupid mistake and was very upset about wounding his friend. However, his actions in handling the announcement of the incident is the problem. As I said earlier, the sooner they are up front about something like this, the sooner it is over and the less the controversy.
  11. cardio's Avatar
    Posts
    779 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    If you read reports of how this was handled by the White House, the president was informed a few hours after the incident, but the public release of information was handled by the VP's office, which is not known for being forthcoming with information about anything.
    When something like this happens to a public figure, the best way to handle the publicity is to get out front as soon as possible. This wasn't the mayor of a small town, it was the vice president. If Cheney had been the victim, should the news be withheld until all details are known?
    The main problem is perception. When a very public figure is involved in something serious like this, any delay in speaking to the media is seen as an effort to either hide the incident or to manage the different accounts of eyewitnesses to put the best spin on the event.
    I truly believe that Cheney made a stupid mistake and was very upset about wounding his friend. However, his actions in handling the announcement of the incident is the problem. As I said earlier, the sooner they are up front about something like this, the sooner it is over and the less the controversy.
    I guess the disagreement lies in waiting less than 15 hours. I would prefer to get real information instead of media conjecture. I can easily envision a scenario where at 10:00 Sat. night the press reports Vice President Cheney involved in shooting, by 10:30 Vice President shoots protestor, 11:15 this just in, a source reveals that the Vice President set up an ambush outside a ranch in TX, of note is that Cindy Sheehan has not been heard from since early this afternoon, Good Morning we have it from a credible source that the Vice President is in stable but serious conditon as we speak and reports indicate that John Kerry may have been taken into custody as a person if interest. Sounds far fetched, but so did the reports of canabilism in New Orleans within 36 hours of katrina making landfall.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
  12. #12  
    Why the Hell is it Cheneys, or anybody elses responsibilty to call "The Media"?

    If he accidentally zips up his sack one morning, does he need to let CBS know about that too?

    Crap, get over it. If he killed someone, and had his body dumped in a park somewhere, that would warrant all the attention that this story got. Fortunately, that didn't happen.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    Why the Hell is it Cheneys, or anybody elses responsibilty to call "The Media"?

    If he accidentally zips up his sack one morning, does he need to let CBS know about that too?

    Crap, get over it. If he killed someone, and had his body dumped in a park somewhere, that would warrant all the attention that this story got. Fortunately, that didn't happen.
    No, he's the Vice Prez and an accident like that should have been reported to the public. It's that simple and had the vice prez office done so, THEN it would have been a non-story.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    No, he's the Vice Prez and an accident like that should have been reported to the public. It's that simple and had the vice prez office done so, THEN it would have been a non-story.
    Why? Hunting accidents are not that uncommon. Just because he is the Veep, that means he has to check in with AP every hour?

    It was a non-story to begin with, that the media made into a story because no one told them about it.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

    Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    No, he's the Vice Prez and an accident like that should have been reported to the public. It's that simple and had the vice prez office done so, THEN it would have been a non-story.
    So because you're a public servant, does that mean you've lost all expectations of privacy in your day-to-day life? It's bad enough that I have to hear about all his colonoscopies on World News Tonight. Nobody was killed, a good friend of his was seriously injured. Does it really violate the public trust that it didn't make the 11:00 news Saturday night? No.
    I'm back!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    It was a non-story to begin with, that the media made into a story because no one told them about it.
    The real story here was that the VP accidently shot his friend, but that doesn't really matter to the left and the national media. That's how self-consumed they are with their own opinions. The real story to them is that they weren't notified immediately and Cheney was trying to cover it up somehow.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    So because you're a public servant, does that mean you've lost all expectations of privacy in your day-to-day life?
    You dont lose all but your right to privacy is less than a private citizen.

    You know who I feel sorry for? Scott McClellon. That poor guy was left hung out to dry in front of the WH press corps.

    (The PRPRPR $people$ $for$ $both$ $the$ $Pres$. $and$ $the$ $VP$ $must$ $live$ $on$ $pins$ $and$ $needles$ $24x7$)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    You dont lose all but your right to privacy is less than a private citizen.

    You know who I feel sorry for? Scott McClellon. That poor guy was left hung out to dry in front of the WH press corps.

    (The PRPRPR $people$ $for$ $both$ $the$ $Pres$. $and$ $the$ $VP$ $must$ $live$ $on$ $pins$ $and$ $needles$ $24x7$)
    I completely agree on all counts.

    Yes, your right to privacy is obviously less, but with the furor over this whole seemingly non-issue, I feel like the public is acting like Cheney's private time should be transparent as well. I don't agree. Yes, he's an elected official, but he still has private aspects of his life. I think our expectation of full disclosure has crossed the line a bit. It was reported, the timing shouldn't be of any concern to us.

    And I definitely agree about McClellan. I do feel bad for him, he just has that "Why me???" look on his face sometimes. I think he's gotten quite a bit more than he bargained for.
    I'm back!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by jmill72x
    So because you're a public servant, does that mean you've lost all expectations of privacy in your day-to-day life? It's bad enough that I have to hear about all his colonoscopies on World News Tonight. Nobody was killed, a good friend of his was seriously injured. Does it really violate the public trust that it didn't make the 11:00 news Saturday night? No.
    Yes. When you're one heartbeat away from being the leader of the most powerful nation on the planet. And btw, shooting someone in the face is not a 'day-to-day' life event.

    Again, I'll also point out that it was the lack of issueing a timely statement that made it more than the accident it was.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    Yes. When you're one heartbeat away from being the leader of the most powerful nation on the planet. And btw, shooting someone in the face is not a 'day-to-day' life event.

    Again, I'll also point out that it was the lack of issueing a timely statement that made it more than the accident it was.
    I disagree. There was no reason to go on the 11:00 news that night with incomplete facts. That is far worse than waiting to report on the story after all the facts are in.

    As Insertion already pointed out, hunting accidents happen all the time. It may not be day-to-day, but it's not exactly uncommon.

    What is your definition of timely? The accident happened late Saturday, you found out on Monday. I'm trying not to sound rude (I really don't mean it to come across that way), but what makes you feel so important that you needed to know sooner than that?
    I'm back!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions